Deliver Your News to the World

RIDDOR - Are You Reporting Workplace Accidents the Right Way?

Are you reporting workplace accidents in the right way?
The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013, or RIDDOR, puts duties on employers, self employed workers and those responsible for work premises to report certain serious workplace accidents, diseases and near misses.


Concerned that your accident hasnít been reported properly? As the responsible person if they reported the incident in line with RIDDOR regulations.

If you donít know about RIDDOR, and donít work with an accredited health and safety consultant, you could be failing to meet your reporting responsibilities.

The first thing to understand is whether you are the person who is expected to file accident reports. These individuals are referred to by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) as Ďresponsible personsí.

Under RIDDOR regulations, you are required to complete an accident report if you are:

  • An employer
  • A self employed person
  • A person responsible for a site or premises

Members of the public, employees and other persons injured in workplace accidents do not have duties under RIDDOR to report accidents in this way. They should, however, inform their employer, or responsible persons.

Concerned that your accident hasnít been reported properly? As the responsible person if they reported the incident in line with RIDDOR regulations or approach your trade union rep for more information. You might also consider approaching the HSE to raise your concerns but only if the other persons above have been contacted and the accident or work related illness has still not been addressed.

Now that youíve established whether or not you are required to make a report, we can look at the types of incident which have to be reported. Not all injuries and accidents have to be reported, according to RIDDOR. A RIDDOR report is only required if:

  • The accident is work related
  • The accident results in a Ďreportable injuryí

So what is a reportable injury?

All deaths to workers, or non workers, must be reported if they are caused by a work accident. This includes physical acts of violence, but not suicide.

Specified injuries to workers
Specified injuries were outlined in RIDDOR 2013. They include:

  • Fractures, except fingers, thumbs and toes
  • Amputations
  • Injuries which cause full or partial blindness
  • Crush injuries to head or torso causing damage to brain or internal organs
  • Serious burns over more than 10% of the body or affecting, eyes, respiratory system or vital organs
  • Scalping injuries requiring hospital treatment
  • Loss of consciousness caused by head injury or asphyxia
  • Injuries arising from work in an enclosed space, causing hypothermia, heat induced illness or requiring resuscitation or hospital admittance for more than 24 hours.

Incapacitation of a Worker
Accidents must be reported where they result in a person being away from work or unable to perform normal work duties for more than three days or more than seven days depending on the severity of the incident.

Non fatal accidents to non-workers (members of the public)
If a member of the public is injured and taken to hospital directly from the scene of the accident, this incident must also be reported according to RIDDOR.

Occupational Diseases
Unlike injuries, occupational illnesses arenít often caused by one specific work incident but can be caused or made work by work and working environments. For this reason, the diagnosis of certain occupational diseases must be reported. These include:

  • Carpal tunnel syndrome
  • Severe cramp of the hand or forearm
  • Hand-arm vibration syndrome
  • Tendonitis or tenosynovitis
  • Occupational dermatitis
  • Occupational cancer
  • Diseases attributed to exposure to biological agent at work

Dangerous Occurrences
Also known as near misses, these incidents fall into almost 30 categories which apply to the majority of workplaces. Examples include:

  • Collapse, overturning or failure of load-bearing parts of lifts and lifting equipment
  • Equipment coming into contact with overhead power lines
  • Accidental release of a substance which could cause injury or illness

Other examples must also be reported under RIDDOR, including registered gas engineers who must report a variety of gas incidents.

An accredited health and safety consultant can help you to ensure that your business is compliant with all aspects of health and safety law. This includes RIDDOR reporting.

Find a reliable health and safety consultant today at


 RIDDOR Regulations
 Health and Safety
 Riddor Workplace
 Occupational H&S

This news content may be integrated into any legitimate news gathering and publishing effort. Linking is permitted.

News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.