Epson Releases a New 16-Bit RISC and Starts Production of Flash Microcontroller with On-Chip High-Resolution Dot Matrix LCD Driver
Seiko Epson Corporation (“Epson”) has developed the S1C17701, a new 16-bit RISC MCU which contains 16 MB of memory space and features low power consumption and circuit size equivalent to an 8-bit microcontroller. Shipments of samples of this product will commence in September 2007. Volume shipments, with a monthly output of 500,000 units, are scheduled to begin in October 2007.
The S1C17701 is a single-chip microcontroller featuring on-chip Flash ROM and a high-resolution dot matrix LCD driver. With 64 KB of Flash ROM, the product is ideal for software development and evaluation activities.
Epson has utilized the low power consumption technology developed for its watch applications to achieve low current consumption (typically 2.5 µA during standby mode) and enable high-speed operation (8.2 MHz) with low operation voltage (1.8 V). In most cases, this product will allow customers currently using 8-bit microcontrollers to enjoy higher performance with the same power consumption. In addition, it will enable customers already using 16-bit microcontrollers to benefit from longer battery life as a result of low operating voltage.
Epson plans to continue its efforts to respond to customer demands in this area by expanding its device lineup based on the following core technologies--a low leak process to drastically cut current consumption during standby mode, an algorithm which significantly improves system power efficiency, and analog circuits that are optimally designed for low power consumption.
Special features of S1C17701
1. Low Power Consumption
* 16-bit RISC microcontroller with low power consumption and circuit size equivalent to an 8-bit microcontroller
SLEEP state: 1 µA (typical)
HALT state (32.768 KHz): 2.5 µA (typical)
RUN state (32.768 KHz): 13.5 µA (typical)
LCD ON state (32.768 KHz): 6.5 µA (typical)*1
2. On-Chip High-Resolution Dot Matrix LCD Driver
* On-chip grayscale display driver with resolution of 56 SEG x 32 COM (1792 dots)
* Large-scale LCD display that doesn’t require external circuits, featuring built-in voltage regulator/booster circuits
3. Reduced Development Time for Customers
* Allows for preparation and immediate evaluation of software simulators and compact development tools
* C compiler and instruction set with high level of code efficiency
* Compact, reduced-pin serial ICE
* On-chip Flash ROM (supports self programming)
* Quick delivery: volume production shipments within a minimum of 8 days*2
*1. Zero panel load, HALT state
*2. From receipt of order to release of product for shipment. (This delivery period may increase subject to manufacturing capacity and the number of orders received.)
The S1C17701 is ideal for applications such as remote controllers, sports watches, and portable healthcare equipment that are being upgraded in terms of battery operation, sensor interface, compact size, and grayscale LCD display.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.