Rolls-Royce waterjets to power two Spanish police patrol vessels
Rolls-Royce has secured a contract to supply waterjets for two Spanish Police Guardia Civil 20m Patrol boats in Spain. These vessels will be built by Astilleros Gondan Shipyard.
This is the first time Rolls-Royce waterjets will feature on Guardia Civil boats, which operate in challenging conditions of strong winds and currents in demanding circumstances. The stainless steel series waterjets have high fuel efficiency due to good towing capability and acceleration as well as excellent durability. This enables them to have low servicing requirements, helping to meet the demands made of them during the lifetime of the vessel.
Jose Antonio Losada, Rolls-Royce, General Sales Manager – Spain, said: “We are delighted that Rolls-Royce has been selected to provide waterjet technology for the next generation of Guardia patrol boats being delivered by Astilleros Gondan. Astilleros Gondan is one of the leading ship builders in Spain and we look forward to continuing our relationship with them.
”Rolls-Royce waterjet technology offers a combination of speed, efficiency and excellent manoeuvrability for these vessels, which will regularly operate in challenging sea conditions. These are essential factors for coast guards and navies around the world in addition to highly reliable equipment and a working service support network which we supply.“
Astilleros Gondan is a well-known shipyard which builds a range of vessels including tugs, fishing vessels and patrol boats. They are currently building their second Rolls-Royce design UT 776 for Simon Mokster.
Alvaro Garcia, Gondan GRP& Aluminum, General Manager, said: ”Reliability and performance are of utmost importance in our industry and are how all vessels are measured, which is why we chose Rolls-Royce waterjet units. We are looking forward to commencing sea trials to confirm the speed and manoeuvrability of the 40S steel waterjets on our vessels"
The new patrol boats will also feature the Rolls-Royce compact control system for water jets which is delivered as a complete package and has been tested and proven at Rolls-Royce facilities enabling fast installation.About Rolls-Royce Holdings plc
- Rolls-Royce’s vision is to create better power for a changing world via two main business segments, Aerospace and Marine & Industrial Power Systems (MIPS). These business segments address markets with two strong technology platforms, gas turbines and reciprocating engines, for use on land, at sea and in the air.
- Aerospace comprises Civil Aerospace and Defence Aerospace. MIPS comprises Marine, Nuclear & Energy and Power Systems (RRPS). On 6 May 2014 Rolls-Royce announced it had signed an agreement to sell its Energy gas turbine and compressor business to Siemens for a £785m cash consideration. On completion, expected before the end of December 2014, Rolls-Royce will receive a further £200 million for a 25 year licensing agreement.
- Rolls-Royce has customers in more than 120 countries, comprising more than 380 airlines and leasing customers, 160 armed forces, 4,000 marine customers, including 70 navies, and 1,600 energy and nuclear customers.
- Our business is focused on the 4Cs:
* Customer - placing the customer at the heart of our business
* Concentration - deciding where to grow and where not to
* Cost - continually looking to increase efficiency
* Cash - improving financial performance.
- Annual underlying revenue was £15.5 billion in 2013, around half of which came from the provision of aftermarket services. The firm and announced order book stood at £70.4 billion at 30 June 2014.
- In 2013, Rolls-Royce invested £1.1 billion on research and development. We also support a global network of 31 University Technology Centres, which position Rolls-Royce engineers at the forefront of scientific research.
- Rolls-Royce employs over 55,000 people in 45 countries. Over 17,000 of these are engineers.
- The Group has a strong commitment to apprentice and graduate recruitment and to further developing employee skills. In 2013 we employed 379 graduates and 288 apprentices through our worldwide training programmes. Globally we have over 1,000 Rolls-Royce STEM ambassadors who are actively involved in education programmes and activities; we have set ourselves a target to reach 6 million people through our STEM outreach activities by 2020.
( Press Release Image: http://photos.webwire.com/prmedia/7/191699/191699-1.jpg )
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.