HP Expands Printing Portfolio to Address Broader Customer Base in Eco-solvent Market
PALO ALTO, Calif. - HP today unveiled an expanded portfolio of HP Latex Printing Technology solutions designed to broaden production capabilities for a greater number of customers and provide a viable alternative to eco-solvent technologies.
The offerings enable small and midsize digital print and sign shops, copy shops and photo labs to produce indoor and outdoor applications with ease while reducing their environmental impact.
Additions to the portfolio include:
* The HP Designjet L25500 Printer, which offers easy, low-maintenance printing of a wider range of applications – from indoor point-of-purchase displays, exhibition graphics and interior décor like wall murals and fabrics to outdoor banners, bus shelters and vehicle wraps – than is possible with eco-solvent or traditional water-based printing alone(1)
* Six Original HP printing materials compatible with HP Latex Ink printers, including two recyclable(2) substrates and three polyvinyl chloride (PVC)-free alternatives
* The expansion of the HP Planet Partners program to include the HP Large-format Media take-back program in the United States and select countries in Europe(2)
“Customers have been asking us for a versatile, cost-effective alternative to eco-solvent-based printing solutions for the production of a wider range of indoor and outdoor large-format applications, while reducing the impact of printing on the environment,” said Santiago Morera, vice president and general manager, Designjet Large-format Printing Solutions, Imaging and Printing Group, HP. “The expanded HP Latex Printing Technology portfolio enables us to meet and exceed this demand for a variety of customers, allowing them to create a competitive advantage and seize new growth opportunities.”
The expanded HP Latex Printing Technology portfolio builds on the proven technology of the HP Designjet L65500 Printer. This printer has seen tremendous acceptance in the graphics market with more than 1.2 million m2 printed on installed machines since the printer’s general availability in August 2008.
Unrivaled versatility, ease of use and printing with the environment in mind
Available in 42- and 60-inch models, the HP Designjet L25500 Printer delivers unrivaled versatility(1) for a broad range of high-quality and flexible, outdoor and indoor applications while meeting the needs of environmentally conscious customers.
Existing low-volume print service providers (PSPs), such as early customer Tot.rètol of Igualada, Spain, can benefit from the HP Designjet L25500 Printer because it delivers prints with quality and durability comparable to eco-solvent ink technologies.(3) In addition, it prints a wider range of applications – from durable outdoor signage to high-resolution, close-view prints – than is possible with eco-solvent or traditional water-based printing alone.
“The HP Designjet L25500 Printer has allowed us to expand our previously solvent-only sign-making business with new applications and products, while still serving our core business for robust, durable output,” said Joan Torrents, general manager and owner, Tot.rètol. “We recently bid for a high-image-quality job for which our solvent printer was not an option due to the low image quality it offers. By using the HP Designjet L25500 Printer, as opposed to outsourcing, we were able to make an extremely competitive offer to acquire the new customer and still make a profit. The customer was satisfied with our printing service and we have become their first choice supplier.”
The ease of use afforded by water-based HP Latex Inks and HP 789 Designjet Printheads enables an easy transition into large-format or outdoor printing for entry-level sign shops, photo labs and digital printers thanks to unattended printing with no daily, manual printhead maintenance required,(4) user-replaceable printheads and an embedded spectrophotometer for accurate and consistent color across prints and between printers.
Designed to reduce the impact of printing on the environment, HP Latex Inks produce odorless(5) prints that allow placement in point-of-purchase environments where odor is a concern. HP Latex Inks are non-flammable and non-combustible,(6) do not require hazard warning labels, and contain no hazardous air pollutants (HAPs).(7) Additionally, no special ventilation equipment(8) or external dryer is required and the HP Designjet L25500 Printer features the ENERGY STAR® rating, which demonstrates compliance with strict energy-efficiency guidelines.
New optimized media selections for HP Designjet L25500 Printer
HP also introduced six Original HP printing materials compatible with HP Latex Ink printers. These additions expand the portfolio to 19 printing materials, including seven recyclable(2) substrates and several PVC-free alternatives.
* HP White Satin Poster Paper – a multi-layer, bright-white coated paper developed to provide durability and excellent image quality for indoor and outdoor advertising applications and can be recycled through commonly available recycling programs
* HP One-view Perforated Adhesive Window Vinyl – a self-adhesive vinyl, designed particularly for window graphics, with a perforated, black back film and white paper liner that provides stunning graphics on one side and a clear view from the other
* HP Air Release Adhesive Gloss Cast Vinyl – a high-performance white cast vinyl with a gloss finish and an opaque permanent adhesive that provides clean removability, laminated outdoor durability up to five years(9) for vehicle and fleet graphics applications and a new HP Performance Warranty(10) when used with the HP Clear Gloss Cast Overlaminate
* HP PVC-free Gloss Adhesive Film – a PVC-free alternative to monomeric vinyl that offers excellent performance in a white film with a gloss-satin finish and a permanent, repositionable adhesive for strong adhesion and outdoor durability as well as glass and all-purpose cleaner rub resistance(11)
* HP PVC-free Wall Paper – a flame retardant,(12) strippable, pre-pasted wall paper with an ultra-smooth finish that provides vivid color, high-definition detail for close viewing and an odor-free alternative to PVC for wall murals and creative designs; provides up to 20 years display permanence indoors, away from direct sun;(13) easy-to-install paper also tears off easily and comes with an HP warranty for clean removal (14)
* HP Light Textile Display Banner – a PVC-free, flame-retardant,(15) uncoated polyester textile banner material that delivers long-lasting indoor image quality, dimensional stability during printing and is recyclable through the HP Large-format Media take-back program(2)
HP also expanded the HP Planet Partners program to include the HP Large-format Media take-back program in the United States and select countries in Europe,(2) allowing customers to easily return and recycle prints produced with HP Latex Inks on HP recyclable media as well as Original HP 789 Latex Designjet Ink Cartridges and Printheads at no additional cost. Customers simply pack up the used media and HP pays the shipping charges and handles sorting and recycling.
The HP Designjet L25500 Printer will be demonstrated publicly for the first time in the HP booth in Hall 8A G20 at VISCOM Germany in Dusseldorf, Oct. 1-3, and is expected to begin shipping this year and be available worldwide in early 2010.
More information is available at:
* HP Latex Printing Technologies: www.hp.com/go/hp_latex_printing_technologies
* HP Designjet L25500 Printer: www.hp.com/go/designjetL25500
* HP large-format printing supplies and materials: www.hp.com/go/designjet/supplies
* HP Large-format Media take-back program: www.hp.com/recycle
* HP Eco Solutions program: www.hp.com/ecosolutions
HP and the environment
For decades HP has been an environmental leader, driving company stewardship through its HP Eco Solutions program, which spans product design, reuse and recycling as well as energy and resource efficiency. HP influences industry action by setting high environmental standards in its operations and supply chain, by providing practical solutions to make it easier for customers to reduce their climate impact and through its research on sustainability solutions that support a low-carbon economy. More information is available at http://www.hp.com/ecosolutions.
HP, the world’s largest technology company, simplifies the technology experience for consumers and businesses with a portfolio that spans printing, personal computing, software, services and IT infrastructure. More information about HP (NYSE: HPQ) is available at http://www.hp.com/.
(1) The HP Designjet L25500 Printer produces an extremely broad range of both outdoor and indoor applications from a single device, which surpasses the number of different applications that traditional eco-solvent printers or water-based printers can produce.
(2) HP offers the HP Large-format Media take-back program in the United States and Europe, through which most HP recyclable signage media can be returned, availability varies. Some recyclable papers can be recycled through commonly available recycling programs. Details are available at www.hp.com/recycle. Aside from this program, recycling opportunities for these products are currently only available in limited areas. Customers should consult local recycling resources for recycling these products.
(3) HP image permanence and scratch, smudge and water resistance estimates by HP Image Permanence Lab. Outdoor display permanence tested according to SAE J2527 using HP Latex and eco-solvent ink on a range of media, including HP media; in a vertical display orientation in simulated nominal outdoor display conditions for select high and low climates, including exposure to direct sunlight and water; performance may vary as environmental conditions change. Scratch, smudge and water resistance tested using HP Latex and eco-solvent inks on a wide range of media, including HP media; water resistance is comparable when printed on water-resistant substrates. Laminated display permanence using GBC clear gloss 1.7 mil hot laminate. Results may vary based on specific media performance and scratch testing methodology. More information is available at www.hp.com/go/supplies/printpermanence.
(4) The printer employs fully automatic printhead testing and maintenance systems.
(5) Printers using HP Latex Inks use internal heaters to dry and cure the latex polymer film. Some substrates may have inherent odor.
(6) Water-based HP Latex Inks are not classified as flammable or combustible liquids under the USDOT or international transportation regulations. These materials have been tested per the Pensky-Martins Closed Cup method and the flash point is greater than 110 degree Celsius.
(7) The inks were tested for Hazardous Air Pollutants per U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Method 311 (testing conducted in 2008) and none were detected. HAPs are air pollutants that are not covered by ambient air quality standards but that, as defined in the Clean Air Act, may present a threat of adverse human health effects or adverse environmental effects.
(8) Special ventilation is not required to meet US OSHA requirements on occupational exposure to VOCs from HP Latex Inks. Special ventilation equipment installation is at the discretion of the customer – no specific HP recommendation is intended. Customers should consult state and local requirements and regulations.
(9) Image permanence and water-resistance ratings by HP Image Permanence Lab. Outdoor display permanence tested according to SAE J2527; in a vertical display orientation in simulated nominal outdoor display conditions for select high and low climates, including exposure to direct sunlight and water; performance may vary as environmental conditions change. For more information, see www.hp.com/go/supplies/printpermanence.
(10) Some warranty limitations apply, see the HP Performance Warranty for HP Air Release Adhesive Gloss Cast Vinyl.
(11) Glass/all-purpose cleaner rub resistance testing by HP Image Permanence Lab using a Taber rub tester with Windex cleaner, 250 gram weight, five passes. Actual results may vary. As the composition of window cleaners can vary substantially, customers are advised to test on a small area.
(12) Class A approved fire certification.
(13) Display permanence rating for interior displays/away from direct sunlight by HP Image Permanence Lab.
(14) Some warranty limitations apply, see the HP PVC-free Wall Paper warranty statement.
(15) DIN 4102-B1 and CA 1237 approved fire certifications.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.