Epson Develops Drive Recorder IC to Capture Accident Data
– 24-Hour Real-Time Recording Realized*1 –
TOKYO, Japan, Seiko Epson Corporation (“Epson”, TSE: 6724) today announced the development of a controller IC specifically designed for drive recorders. Samples of the new S2S65A30 controller will commence shipping from August 2009, and volume production is slated for November.
The growing popularity of “black box” drive recorders for cars is fuelling a drastic increase in demand for greater functionality. Topping the functionality wish list is the ability to record in real time and store image data for extended periods so that the exact moment of an accident is recorded without fail. Sensitivity to light conditions and time of day, as well as on-site playback capability are also highly sought after.
Evolved from the S2S65A00, a controller IC used in drive recorders already in the market, Epson developed the S2S65A30 as a single chip solution to support the advanced features required in a state-of-the-art drive recorder. The S2S65A30 also speeds the development cycle and reduces development man-hours as it is pin compatible with the existing S2S65A00 and backward compatible with earlier software.
Epson also provides software libraries that enable functional optimization of not only the component IC but the entire drive recorder, and they are available for use with both µITRON and Linux.
Features of the S2S65A30
* Real-time recording from two cameras simultaneously using high-speed DMA transfer
* Large capacity SD card support through SDHC interface (SD memory card standard 2.0)
* Source image correction function for lightness/darkness
* JPEG decoding for image playback
* Two built-in 30 fps VGA JPEG encoders (ISO 10918 compliant)
* Interlaced/progressive converter function to allow connection of two analog cameras
* PC connectivity via built-in USB 2.0 (Hi-Speed USB)
* Interface with acceleration sensors through ADC
* Event counter enables reading of vehicle speed pulses
* Audio recording with I2S
* Supply voltages: 1.8 V (core), 3.3 V (I/O), 2.4-3.6 V (camera I/O)
* Eco-considerate halogen-free PFBGA-280 package (ball pitch 0.8 mm)
*1 When recorded to a 32 GB SD card at 10 fps VGA resolution
For more information on this product, visit:
For sales enquiries, please locate your regional Epson electronic device sales office at:
Epson is a global imaging and innovation leader that is dedicated to exceeding the vision of customers worldwide through its compact, energy-saving, high-precision technologies, with a product lineup ranging from printers and 3LCD projectors for business and the home, to electronic and crystal devices.
Led by the Japan-based Seiko Epson Corporation, the Epson Group comprises over 70,000 employees in 108 companies around the world, and is proud of its ongoing contributions to the global environment and the communities in which it operates. http://www.epson.co.jp/e/
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.