Agriculture Secretary Vilsack Announces "Healthy Garden" Workshop Series at ’The People’s Garden’
WASHINGTON.- Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack today announced a weekly summer workshop series at ’The People’s Garden’ to teach area residents and tourists about the many aspects of growing a garden. The “Healthy Garden” Workshop Series will be held every Friday from noon to 12:30 p.m. from June 19 through Sept. 25, at ’The People’s Garden,’ located at 12th St. and Jefferson Drive, SW at the USDA Jamie L. Whitten Building on the National Mall in Washington, DC.
“In many ways, USDA’s ’People’s Garden’ is the nation’s demonstration plot, showing how small steps can mean important gains in mitigating global warming and producing a safe, sustainable and nutritious food supply,” said Vilsack. “The garden concepts we’re teaching this summer can be your contribution to providing healthy food, air, and water for people and communities across the country.”
Each workshop will provide an interactive demonstration of various aspects of ’The People’s Garden,’ teaching practical skills on how to grow a garden in any set-up, from window boxes to acre plots.
The “Healthy Garden” Workshop Series schedule and topics include:
* June 26 - Gardening From the Ground Up: Improving Your Soil
* July 3 - Watering Your Lawn and Garden
* July 10 - Make-Up Day #1
* July 17 - Container Gardening and Window Boxes
* July 24 - Weeding and Removing Invasive Plants
* July 31 - Installing and Using Rain Barrels
* August 7 - Make-Up Day #2
* August 14 - Attracting Pollinators: Friends of Healthy Gardens
* August 21 - Inviting Wildlife with Bat Boxes and Other Backyard Habitats
* August 28 - Maximizing Your Harvest
* September 4 - Make-Up Day #3
* September 11 - Making and Using Compost
* September 18 - Choosing and Using Fertilizers
* September 25 - Fall Maintenance: Preparing Your Garden for Next Season
The workshops will be held rain or shine except where thunder and lightening are present or other dangerous outdoor conditions exist. If traveling by Metro, take the Mall Exit of the Smithsonian Metro Station on Orange/Blue Lines. To learn more about The People’s Garden, go to www.usda.gov/peoplesgarden.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.