WiMAX Has Early Lead Over LTE in Wireless 4G Race
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. - Mobile WiMAX will outpace LTE over the next few years due to its head start on deployments, reports In-Stat http://www.in-stat.com . Mobile WiMAX already has commercial deployments, while LTE won’t be commercially available until late 2009. However In-Stat believes WiMAX and LTE will take very different paths.
“Most of the operators looking to deploy WiMAX come to it from the fixed network space. These operators are looking to use WiMAX as an enhanced DSL service. Enhanced DSL will combine both the fixed broadband service with some form of nomadic coverage,” says Daryl Schoolar, In-Stat analyst. “Most of the early operators supporting LTE come from the mobile space. These operators want to use LTE to increase capacity and peak rates on their existing mobile networks.”
Recent research by In-Stat found the following:
HSPA may turn into 802.16e WiMAX’s true competitor, with HSPA Evolved allowing WCDMA operators to delay deploying LTE.
* Verizon is at the forefront with LTE, most operators will not deploy until 2011 or 2012.
* In-Stat expects LTE will have 23.1 million subscriptions in 2013, growing from about 176 thousand in 2010.
* Nearly 82 million mobile PCs with WiMax will ship in 2013.
Recent In-Stat research, The Road to 4G: LTE and WiMAX Lead the Way Worldwide (#IN0803987WBB), covers the worldwide market for 4G wireless technology. It provides:
* Forecasts for 2G, 3G, and 4G subscriptions by type through 2013
o Mobile WiMAX, LTE, HSPA/HSPA+, WCDMA, CDMA2000 EV-DO, CDMA2000 & CDMAOne, TD-SCDMA, GSM GPRS & EDGE/EDGE+
* Forecasts for devices with mobile WiMAX and LTE attach rates
* Definition and examination of 4G technology
* Analysis of market drivers and barriers
* Device and component vendor matrix describing major vendors’ place in the 3G/4G universe
For more information on this research or to purchase it online, please visit: http://www.instat.com/catalog/wcatalogue.asp?id=281 or contact a sales representative: http://www.instat.com/sales.asp
The price is $2,995 (US).
MORE INFORMATION ON THIS RESEARCH
* Title: The Road to 4G: LTE and WiMAX Lead the Way Worldwide
* Service: Wireless Broadband Evolution
* Product Number: IN0803987WBB
* Publication Date: October 2008
* Number of Pages: 33
* Price: $2,995 U.S. Dollars
* Abstract, Table of Contents, Figures & Tables
* Members Only Access: Full text HTML , PDF
Market Research from In-Stat
In-Stat offers a broad range of information resources and analytical assets to technology vendors, service providers, technology professionals, and market specialists worldwide. The company stands alone in its ability to integrate both supply-side and demand-side research methodologies into a single comprehensive view of technology markets and products. This capability relies on a unique ability to cover the entire value chain from engineering-level technology, through equipment, infrastructure, services and end-users.
In-Stat is a strategic segment of the $8 billion Reed Elsevier global information network, with access to an expansive worldwide electronic network, extensive technology databases and well-informed personnel. In-Stat analysts gain exceptional insight into geographic market places and specific technologies within markets such as electronics, cable and wireless. As a member of Reed Business Information, In-Stat is a division of the largest business-to-business publisher in the U.S.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.