Heineken tours Africa with the UEFA Champions League Trophy
Amsterdam – Heineken announced it will give its African consumers their first ever chance to hold the UEFA Champions League Trophy aloft when it takes the famous cup on tour in February, March and April of this year.
After two successful tours in Asia and South America in 2007 and 2008 it is now the turn of African football fans in Nigeria, Algeria, Egypt and South Africa to have the ultimate experience, to be able to see and touch the famous Trophy.
Hans Erik Tuijt, Heineken’s Brand Activation Manager commented: “As the most international premium beer brand on the planet, we want to share the unique experience of the UEFA Champions League with fans from every continent. African consumers are passionate about the UEFA Champions League and the Heineken brand across Africa. It promises to be a fantastic series of events and we can promise our consumers a truly memorable experience.”
UEFA Marketing Director, Philippe Le Floc’h added, “The UEFA Champions League has a long and distinguished heritage and is the pinnacle of European club football. The Trophy itself represents the ultimate prize of the UEFA Champions League globally. We are happy that by taking the Trophy to Africa with Heineken, African football fans will have the chance to glimpse the Trophy that so many of their compatriots who are playing in Europe are striving to win. The Trophy Tour with Heineken is a chance for us to give something back to the football fans in Africa.”
Last season Heineken took the Trophy to South America for a tour to fans in Sao Paolo, Rio de Janeiro (Brazil), Buenos Aires (Argentina), Santiago (Chile), Mexico City and Monterrey (Mexico). More than 51.500 fans saw the Trophy ‘live’ and a further 247 million viewers tuned in to see it on television.
This year’s African Tour dates are:
February 26 – 28 Lagos (Nigeria)
March 11 – 12 Algiers (Algeria)
March 26 – 28 Cairo (Egypt)
April 10 – 12 Cape Town (South Africa)
April 17 – 19 Johannesburg (South Africa)
In each location, famous players drawn from the history of UEFA Champions League will accompany the Trophy.
For more information also visit: www.greattogether.heineken.com/trophytour2009.
Heineken brand in Africa - Facts & figures
* Heineken is available in 51 of the 53 African countries
* Heineken volume 1.6 million hectolitres (2007)
* Heineken is active in Africa since 1900 and has operational companies in Africa since 1923
African football players in Europe - Facts & figures
* There are 47 African players competing in this season’s UEFA Champions League
* John Hubbard from South Africa was the first African player to play in European competition for Rangers FC vs O.G.C. Nice in 1956
* The following African players have won the European Champion Clubs’ Cup /UEFA Champions League:
- Bruce Grobbelaar and Craig Johnston (Liverpool FC) in 1984
- Rabah Madjer (FC Porto) in 1987
- Abédi Ayew (Olympique de Marseille) in 1993
- Nwankwo Kanu and Finidi George (AFC Ajax) in 1995
- Samuel Kuffour (FC Bayern München) in 2001
- Benni McCarthy (FC Porto) in 2004
- Djimi Traore (Liverpool FC) in 2005
- Samuel Eto’o (FC Barcelona) in 2006
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.