The 5 Mistakes That Could Cost You The Promotion You Deserve
(Old Lyme, CT December 8,2008) If a person is competent and works in for an organization that promotes from within, there is no reason why they should not get ahead professionally. Follow these tips and accomplishment and success will surely follow.
“So many people get stuck in “taking care of business” and forget that their primary objective should be to move ahead, and get the promotion they deserve.” Says Sam Childs; of Sam-Childs.com “We are all guilty of it at times. We cross things off our list instead of building business, which will always result upward progression. If a person follows the following five tips they will have distinct advantage over their co-worker, and climb another rung on the corporate ladder.”
1. Be Detail Oriented- The mark of the true professional is attention to detail. Make sure everything is done as well as it can be done. Double-check all of your emails before you send them. Often times people take liberties when writing emails – and use shortcuts instead of writing full sentences. Think of it as writing a letter and not an instant message. Do this and your superiors will take notice.
2. Dress For The Job You Want- Not The Job You Have- It is amazing how many people ignore this- to their own detriment. If a person dresses the same way their boss dresses they automatically “fit in”. Subconsciously people tend to like people that make the same choices they have made. Dressing is a big part of the equation. It validates another person’s choices and affects their subconscious mind. They will tend to like and trust you more, and that will ultimately result in upward progression in the work place.
3. Delegate A Path To The Corner Office- Don’t get stuck doing the mundane tasks that can be handed off to others. Write procedural manuals or “to do lists” that are brain-dead simple. If a task can be delegated, write a step-by step manual that so that anyone can complete the task. If a person focuses on the “big picture,” bringing in more customers, they will quickly find themselves getting the promotions they deserve.
4. Smile With Your Eyes- Easier done than said. Upper level managers often look for subtle signs that will give them insight to the personality of the person they are considering for a promotion. Think of a happy time. Display this face the majority of the time around the office. It will get noticed. Nice guys and girls to finish first .
5. Have Your Shoes Shined Weekly – This is big deal. If the shoes a person is wearing aren’t shined to a high gloss it reveals that they are not concerned with the impression they make. Strange as it may sound, dirty shoes can reveal that an employee lacks attention to the little things involved in their daily work. In business the little things are everything. A boss will take notice. Avoid this pitfall the easy way. Get a glorified “foot massage” every single week for every single pair of shoes worn.
Sam Childs is a widely recognized as a leading expert on “Executive Coaching” and “Lifestyle Development and Improvement”. Childs is an avid student and lecturer who has helped dozens of people overcome their fears, increase their confidence, and live a more satisfying life. He has learned from some of the leading authorities on life coaching and personal development.
Sam’s knowledge of his subject is vast, and his expression is opinionated and enthusiastic. His interview style is captivating to both interviewer and audience. He never fails to share inside tips and helpful ideas that his audience can immediately benefit from.
- Contact Information
- Sam Childs
- Contact via E-mail
This news content may be integrated into any legitimate news gathering and publishing effort. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.