Mazda Launches Fully Redesigned ’AZ-Wagon’ Micro-Mini in Japan
Outstanding functionality and space efficiency with enhanced quality and comfort throughout
HIROSHIMA, Japan — Mazda Motor Corporation has fully redesigned its AZ-Wagon micro-mini range in Japan. Sales commence today at all Mazda Autozam, Mazda and Mazda Anfini dealerships nationwide.
The AZ-Wagon micro-mini enjoys a wide-ranging customer base in Japan thanks to its outstanding use of space and functionality. Fully redesigned for the first time in five years, the new model further evolves these characteristics and offers substantially enhanced quality inside and out, as well as a more comfortable cabin.
The exterior design has been fully updated to improve the styling and reflect the interior comfort. The interior features a silver center panel, and charcoal grey seats and door trim which create a higher quality appearance. The XT and XS model grades have a convenient engine start/stop button, and all grades come with an anti-theft immobilizer as standard equipment for improved security. Performance is enhanced in some grades with the addition of a continuously variable transmission (CVT) that delivers more powerful acceleration and better fuel economy. With low fuel consumption and exhaust emissions certified as either 50 or 75 percent cleaner than Japan’s 2005 standards, all model grades offer excellent environmental and economic performance.
The range-topping AZ-Wagon Custom Style lineup has also been fully redesigned to improve its sporty and high quality credentials. The Custom Style features aero parts and alloy wheels for a more muscular exterior. New equipment, including a glossy black center panel and leather-wrapped steering wheel, creates a more stylish, high quality interior. Premium features that come as standard on some model grades include: steering wheel mounted paddle shifters; Autolight system (which switches the headlights on automatically according to ambient light conditions); colored door mirrors with embedded LED indicators; and an 8-speaker high-grade sound system.
Manufacturer’s suggested retail prices (including consumption tax) range from 924,000 to 1,482,600 yen for the AZ-Wagon, and from 1,270,500 to 1,687,350 yen for the AZ-Wagon Custom Style. The target sales volume for the entire range is 2,000 units a month.
Main features of the new AZ-Wagon
1. A lively and stylish exterior
The stylish exterior maintains the AZ-Wagon’s reputation for superb packaging and reflects the high level of interior comfort.
- The vehicle’s front fascia creates a more stylish impression; a wide central bar gives the grille a stronger presence and ties together the newly designed bumper and headlights.
- Forward slanting roof and belt lines create a lively profile.
- Stylish and highly visible large rear combination lights enhance the simple and stable rear design.
- XT and XS model grades feature sporty and high quality 14-inch aluminum wheels, all around underspoilers and a rear roof spoiler.
- Seven exterior body colors are available, including the newly added Breeze Blue Metallic, Bloom Pink Metallic and Clear Beige Metallic.
2. High quality interior
The new interior offers improved quality and a more comfortable atmosphere.
- A grey instrument panel is highlighted by a silver center panel. Grades with the four-speed automatic transmission or CVT also have a silver shifter panel.
- Highly visible luminous meters (always illuminated), with an information display that shows the odometer, current and average fuel consumption, and estimated fuel range are standard on all model grades.
- Charcoal grey seats and door trim match every exterior body color. The door panels also have a rounded concave shape to maximize interior space.
3. Further evolved packaging and functionality
The AZ-Wagon features enhanced packaging (space efficiency), functionality and comfort.
- A new platform with a longer wheelbase results in a longer cabin and more interior space. Additionally, a flatter floor and larger seats provide greater comfort for second row passengers.
- Wider doors in the front and a lower floor with flat steps in the rear make getting in and out easier.
- A wider rear liftgate aperture makes loading and unloading luggage easier. A split left/right sliding luggage board is fitted behind the rear seats, which slide forward to expand the flat cargo area.
- The interior features many storage spaces, including a cup holder in front of the driver’s air conditioner vent, an overhead pocket in front of the rear view mirror, and a large box under the passenger seat.
4. Low fuel consumption and outstanding environmental and safety performance
- Under Japan’s 10-15 mode test cycle, model grades with naturally aspirated engines, a direct overhead camshaft (DOHC) and variable-valve timing (VVT) achieve fuel economy up to 23.5 km/L (front-wheel drive (FWD) grades with five-speed manual transmission). Model grades with turbocharged engines and a DOHC achieve fuel economy up to 21.5 km/L (FWD grades with CVT). All model grades offer fuel economy certified as either 15 or 25 percent better than Japan’s 2010 standards.
- All models with naturally-aspirated engines qualify as Super Ultra Low Emissions Vehicles (SU-LEV, i.e., exhaust emissions are 75 percent or more cleaner than the levels specified by the Japanese government’s 2005 exhaust emissions regulations). All grades with turbocharged engines qualify as Ultra Low Emissions Vehicles (U-LEV, i.e., exhaust emissions are 50 percent or more cleaner than the levels specified by the Japanese government’s 2005 exhaust emissions regulations).
- All FWD model grades with naturally aspirated engines and the four-wheel drive (4WD) grade with a five-speed manual transmission qualify for Japan’s Green Tax exemptions.
- Standard emergency safety equipment includes Mazda’s four-wheel antilock braking system (4W-ABS), electronic brake-force distribution (EBD) and brake assist (all grades except XF and XG FWD grades).
5. New equipment for enhanced convenience and comfort
- Mazda’s advanced keyless entry & push button start system is standard equipment for the XT and XS grades. With the key on his or her person, the driver can lock and unlock the doors just by pressing a button on the door handle. When the brake pedal is depressed, the engine can be started and stopped simply by pushing the start/stop button.
- An immobilizer is fitted on all grades. This system prevents theft with copied keys by checking for an IC code that is transmitted by legitimate keys.
- An MP3-compatible CD player with AM/FM radio is standard equipment (except for the XF grade). An adapter to connect digital audio devices through the sound system is available as a dealer-installed option.
- A vanity mirror with a ticket holder above both front seats enhances user-friendliness in the XT and XS grades.
Main features of fully-redesigned AZ-Wagon Custom Style
- A high quality skeleton-type front grille is vacuum coated with decorative aluminum lines.
- Front and rear aero type bumpers and side underspoilers highlight the model’s sportiness and presence.
- Clear-type rear combination lights enhance the sporty appearance.
- High quality 15-inch/14-inch alloy wheels highlight the styling (XT-L/XT and XS grades).
- LED turn indicators embedded in the door mirror covers support safe and comfortable driving (XT-L and XT grades).
- Six stylish and prominent exterior body colors are available, including the newly added Spark Black Pearl, Classic Red Pearl, and Luna Gray Pearl Metallic.
- High quality black instrument panel framed with silver trim.
- High quality black center panel.
- Leather wrapped steering wheel accented with a silver bezel.
- Sporty-yet-composed black seats and door trim.
- Luminous triple meter cluster accented with blue luminous markings and a silver ring.
- Blue illumination highlights the instrument panel, door trim, and front door speakers (XT-L grade).
- Advanced keyless entry & push button start system
- CVT with seven-speed manual mode and steering wheel mounted paddle shifters (XT-L and XT grades).
- Convenient steering wheel mounted audio controls (XT-L and XT).
- Mazda’s Autolight system switches on the headlights automatically according to ambient light conditions (XT-L and XT grades).
- A high grade sound system with CD player and eight speakers is specially tuned to suit the AZ-Wagon’s acoustics (XT-L grade).
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.