Elsevier’s Oncologystat Delivers Unprecedented Free Portal For Integrated Professional Cancer Information And Clinical Resources
Elsevier, the leading publisher of scientific, technical and medical information products and services, today announced the launch of OncologySTAT, a free website featuring high-quality, scientifically-based oncology and cancer care information and education. The site is aimed at more than 1 million US oncologists, hematologists, oncology nurses, and all other healthcare professionals involved in the treatment, care and diagnosis of patients with cancer. OncologySTAT is advertiser supported and the first online community of its kind launched by a scholarly publisher.
OncologySTAT offers multiple professional cancer information resources in a single online location. Healthcare professionals who register with the site can search and download current peer-reviewed articles from more than 100 Elsevier cancer related journals. Clinicians can stay up to date and build expertise leading to improved patient care and enhanced practice management through features such as journal and MEDLINE search, professional drug and interaction databases, news, blogs and webinars. OncologySTAT also provides cancer patients, survivors and caregivers with access to the same information used by experienced cancer care professionals.
“OncologySTAT offers resources to improve cancer diagnosis, treatment, and prevention in one source at no cost to clinicians,” says Lee S. Schwartzberg, M.D., F.A.C.P., physician and head of research, The West Clinic, OncologySTAT Advisory Board Co-Chairman and Editor-in-Chief. “No other online destination offers such a breadth of integrated scientifically-based cancer research, information and education for free.”
Meeting an Identified Need
Oncology is the second largest and fastest growing therapy class in the world. Cancer professionals are challenged by the multitude of information sources available, and by the frequency in which new information is published.
“Oncologists who are classified as heavy online users may visit cancer-related websites four to five times per day to access the latest scientific information,” says Axel Grothey M.D., OncologySTAT Advisory Board Member and Associate Editor. “Oncologists research the web more often than any clinical specialty because there are more than 500 cancer drugs in the pipeline. Clinicians want to know when these drugs will become available and how patients may tolerate various drug combinations.”
OncologySTAT’s professional information features include the following:
• Peer-reviewed Journal Articles: registered users can search and access current journal articles from over 100 Elsevier cancer related journals including The Lancet Oncology, The Breast, Lung Cancer, Cancer Letters, The American Journal of Medicine, Seminars in Oncology, Seminars in Radiation Oncology, Seminars in Hematology, Blood Reviews, etc.
• Journal Scans: Weekly professional summaries of the most important scientific research from 25 leading cancer journals, including Journal of Clinical Oncology, Journal of the National Cancer Institute, CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, Blood, JAMA, and New England Journal of Medicine.
• Cancer News Feeds: Late-breaking regulatory and drug approval updates from the widely respected Pink Sheet, as well as professional medical and conference news from the International Medical News Group and MDConsult.
• InfoBlast E-Newsletter: A weekly e-newsletter highlighting key oncology news, research and site content features.
• Integrated MEDLINE Search: Immediate access to search MEDLINE’s vast repository of scientific abstracts without exiting OncologySTAT.
• Cancer-type “Spotlights”: 27 cancer type “Spotlight” sections featuring news, journals, article scans, clinical texts summaries, patient handouts and webinars on cancers such as bone, breast, prostate and lung.
• Chemotherapy Regimens: Guidelines and protocols from the Elsevier Guide to Oncology Drugs and Regimens (2006) obtained through searches by drug or cancer type.
• Professional Drug Monograph and Interactions Database: Powered by Gold Standard.
“OncologySTAT is a first for getting a broad range of the latest evidence-based oncology information and news into the hands of health professionals in a manner that fits the practitioner’s workflow and time-constraints, so they can spend more time treating patients,” said Brian Nairn, CEO, Elsevier Health Sciences. “OncologySTAT matches the user’s need for rapid integrated access to the latest trusted oncology information with the pharmaceutical industry’s growing need and desire to communicate directly with oncology practitioners via credible online channels.”
The site operates independently from any particular professional society or sponsor. However, the site offers multiple marketing and promotional opportunities, including targeted advertising and sponsorship of specific site sections or content types.
The OncologySTAT advisory board includes 10 of the most influential names in oncology, including four past-presidents of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO). The editorial team includes Lee Schwartzberg M.D., F.A.C.P, OncologySTAT Editor in Chief, Axel Grothey, M.D., Associate Editor, and a team of seasoned professional medical writers and oncology fellows.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.