Socket Launches Entry-Level Wireless Scanner for Bluetooth
Socket’s Cordless Hand Scanner (CHS) 7E Combines Linear CMOS Technology with the Convenience of Bluetooth in a Single Compact, Easy-to-Use, Lightweight Device
Newark, CA – 8/30/2005 — Socket Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ: SCKT), an innovative provider of mobile productivity products, today announced the Cordless Hand Scanner (CHS) 7E. Designed for cordless operation using Bluetooth enabled mobile computers, the CHS 7E is a convenient and affordable entry-level scanning solution with advanced miniature linear CMOS technology. Completing the CHS Series 7 product line, the compact, lightweight and ergonomically designed scanner decodes most popular bar codes using an LED light source, enabling the user to collect bar coded data without being tied to a mobile or desktop computer.
“Our CHS Series 7 product line of data collection products is designed to address a broad range of applications across several vertical markets, enabling our customers to make their businesses run more efficiently,” said Calvin Nguyen, senior product marketing manager, data collection products at Socket Communications. “As an entry-level product, the CHS 7E’s safety rating, low power consumption and long range Bluetooth connectivity are extremely valuable to workers in the healthcare and sales automation verticals that scan on a part time basis. The CHS 7E is also a perfect fit for use with Smartphones that do not have slots for plug-in bar code scanners.”
The cordless CHS 7E provides a hassle free experience that is not possible with tethered scanners. Users operate the unit with one hand up to 300 feet from the mobile device, allowing freedom of movement and the ability to take inventory quickly and easily. The CHS 7E’s ergonomic design allows for comfortable and easier scanning, and incorporates a patent-pending built-in stylus for handheld touch screen use. Additionally, the user can also opt to wear the unit around the neck for easy access using a lanyard or a pull reel that attaches to a belt.
* Compatible with the following mobile computers if Bluetooth enabled:
o Pocket PC 2003 (Windows Mobile)
o Windows Mobile 5.0
o Windows XP, or XP Tablet
o Palm PDA
o Symbian OS device (Series 60 or 80)
o RIM OS device (BlackBerry)
* Powered by two rechargeable AAA NiMH batteries. 110-250V AC charge module included. Optional vehicle charger available
* Expected battery life under normal operating conditions: 10,000 scans
* Battery status warning light
* Patent-pending stylus tip built into the device handle allows the scanner to double as a stylus for Pocket PCs and pen tablets
* Entry-Level version features a Linear CMOS technology for part-time scanning applications
* SocketScan™ keyboard emulation software directs scanned data into any Windows, Palm or Symbian application as virtual key strokes
* SocketScan allows the user to add Prefix and/or Suffix functions, such as Carriage Return and Tab, to further eliminate manual keystrokes
* Supported bar code symbologies can be easily enabled or disabled with SocketScan’s “Symbology Selector”
* SocketScan “Scan Demo” reports symbology, length and decoded data of any scanned bar code
* 2005 Sunrise Date compliant
* Class 1 radio with Bluetooth wireless technology has a maximum range of 300 ft (100 m) if connected to another Class 1 Bluetooth device.
* Uses Bluetooth Serial Port profile
* Connection indicator light
* When connected to the Class 2 Bluetooth radio found in many host devices, CHS range should be approximately 50 percent greater when used in an indoor environment and 100 percent greater when used outdoors. Bluetooth range can be affected by many variables and may be significantly greater or shorter than specified.
Socket’s Cordless Hand Scanner with Bluetooth Wireless Technology is compatible with the following mobile computers or smartphones if Bluetooth enabled: Pocket PC 2003 (Windows Mobile); Windows XP, or XP Tablet; Palm PDA; RIM; and Symbian Series 60 & 80 devices. For complete specifications, visit: http://www.socketcom.com/product/cordless.asp?Type=Scanner. A Software Developers Kit (SDK) is available separately for developers who wish to embed control of the CHS into their applications.
Pricing and Availability
Socket’s Cordless Hand Scanner (CHS) 7E is available immediately through Socket’s worldwide distribution channels and the Socket website with an MSRP of $398.
About Socket Communications
Socket Communications (NASDAQ: SCKT) develops and distributes a broad range of data collection and network connectivity products for mobile devices such as PDA’s, Smartphones and tablet notebooks. Working collaboratively with mobile solutions from leading Strategic Vertical Integrators, world-class 3rd party software developers and OEM’s, Socket’s products are proven to drive operational efficiencies, increase mobile workforce productivity, boost corporate performance and improve customer satisfaction. Socket is headquartered in Newark, California and can be reached at 510-744-2700 or www.socketcom.com.
- Contact Information
- Cara Sloman
- US Editorial
- Nadel Phelan for Socket Communications
- Contact via E-mail
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.