Ford Tops 30 Years As Nation’s Favourite
BRENTWOOD, Essex, 5 January, 2007 – Ford’s sales performance in its 30th successive year as top-selling UK car brand secured leadership on all fronts for the blue oval in 2006.
Ford cars: Number one marque every year 1977 to 2006
Ford commercial vehicles: British-built Transit drives increased 2006 volumes in 41st consecutive year as CV leader
Ford 2006 market share: 16 per cent of total car and CV sales – up 0.6 per cent on 2005
Industry figures out today show that Ford S-MAX, Car of the Year 2007; Ford Focus, Britain’s favourite car; and Ford Fiesta are current stars in a range which has led the UK car market for three decades. This performance extended the sales gap between Ford and its nearest rival to over 42,000 cars last year.
The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) confirms that new Ford Transit drove a near five per cent rise in Ford commercial vehicle sales in 2006. Transit assembled in Southampton and voted International Van of the Year 2007, helped Ford win almost 93,000 commercial vehicle customers – up from 88,800 in 2005.
Roelant de Waard, Ford of Britain chairman, said: “This great result proves our formula of product, quality, pricing and service is finding favour with increasing numbers of UK customers. Together with our dealers we will continue to work hard on this in 2007 – which is really the year of the new Mondeo!”
Ford of Britain’s 2006 results include higher total vehicle share and volumes despite a depressed market.
Other Ford highlights:
● Ford Fiesta, first choice once again among private buyers, saw sales leap 24 per cent from 83,803 to 103,856
● Small car stable-mate, Ford Fusion, is also enjoying growing popularity with a 14 per cent registrations surge
● Ford S-MAX and Galaxy attracted 12,335 MPV buyers – over 3,000 more than the previous year
● 150th Ford Flexible Fuel Vehicle (FFV), capable of running on bioethanol or petrol, delivered to National Farmers’ Union
● Ford Transit Connect and Transit together take almost 30 per cent of medium commercial vehicle segment
Ford product introductions set to increase Ford’s momentum in 2007 include Ford Focus Coupé Cabriolet; new Mondeo, as spied in the current Casino Royale Bond film; and revised C-MAX.
2006 | 2005
Ford vehicle sales | 437,330 | 436,349
Total vehicle market | 2,731,832 | 2,825,686
- Contact Information
- Paul Harrison
- Director, Product Communications
- Ford of Europe
- Contact via E-mail
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.