Epson Develops Frame Buffer Embedded Digital Video Encoder For NTSC and PAL Systems
- TOKYO, Japan, October 30, 2006 - Seiko Epson Corporation (“Epson”) has announced the S1D13771 digital video encoder LSI. The new product can easily be added to digital video systems and was created in response to demand for TV output from embedded products. With a built-in display buffer, high-performance DAC, and high-quality scalar providing bi-cubic input/output scaling, the S1D13771 enables the production of high-quality TV output with low material cost. Production is planned to start from January 2007.
A high-quality internal scaling algorithm and complex TV filters allow for VGA resolution input to be stored using a minimum amount of memory, while providing smoothly scaled output to the full resolution specified by either PAL or NTSC standards. The S1D13771 features wafer level CSP (WCSP), 4.46 x 4.46 mm (ball pitch 0.5 mm), the smallest solution suitable for mobile applications.
While conventional video encoding LSI’s have to get digital video data compliant with ITU-R BT656 or ITU-R BT 601 standards, the S1D13771 is connected directly to the system bus and LCD interface. It can be added-on to a variety of systems regardless of CPU type to easily achieve TV output functions.
Epson regards the embedded market as an important target for its products. The company plans to further boost its lineup to meet customer needs in this promising field.
1. Integrated frame buffer
2. CPU interface
- 8-bit parallel indirect interface (Intel(R) 80 type)
- Interface voltage level (3.3 V to 1.8 V typical.)
3. Input formats
- RGB 8:8:8, 6:6:6, 5:6:5
- YUV 4:2:2
- All input data is processed by the scalar and stored to the frame buffer
4. TV output
- Composite PAL/NTSC output
5. Display function
- Bi-cubic output scalar for scale-up or scale-down
- 15-tap programmable chrominance/luminance filters
- TV connect/disconnect detection
- System clock: 18 MHz to 27 MHz typical. (PLL integrated)
- Supply voltage (typical): Core VDD 1.5 V, IO VDD 1.8 V to 3.3 V, DAC VCC 3.0 V
- Package: W-CSP (4.46 x 4.46 mm), ball pitch 0.5 mm
- Operating temperature: - 40°C to 85°C
Epson is a global leader in imaging products including printers, 3LCD projectors and small- and medium-sized LCDs. With an innovative and creative culture, Epson is dedicated to exceeding the vision and expectations of customers worldwide with products known for their superior quality, functionality, compactness and energy efficiency.
Epson is a network of 90,701 employees in 120 companies around the world, and is proud of its ongoing contributions to the global environment and to the communities in which it is located. Led by the Japan-based Seiko Epson Corp., the Group had consolidated sales of 1549.5 billion yen in fiscal 2005.
- Contact Information
- Alastair Bourne
- Seiko Epson Corporation
- Contact via E-mail
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.