EDS Kicks Off Global Volunteer Day
More Than 250 Community Projects to Benefit From This Program
06 Oct 2006 - PLANO, Texas – Thousands of EDS employees are getting ready to reach out to communities in 24 countries to improve the lives of others in need. The theme for the 2006 EDS Global Volunteer Day campaign, Hearts and Hands at Work,” captures the caring and dedicated attitude of EDS people.
Since the inception of Global Volunteer Day in 1993, EDS volunteers in 32 countries have worked on more than 4,200 projects, donating nearly 550,000 hours.
“EDS’ commitment to our communities is strong,” said Mike Jordan, EDS Chairman and CEO. “Corporate social responsibility truly lives and breathes through the efforts of our employees on Global Volunteer Day and our other community-oriented programs.”
Every year, each team chooses the charitable organization it wants to support and invites family, friends and clients to join. Following are the 2006 EDS Global Volunteer Day projects already under way:
* In the Netherlands, EDS volunteers have raised 3,657 euros (equivalent of US $4,460) so far for the Toe to Heart Society, a charity that helps children in India get an education to help support their families.
* The EDS Hong Kong team is expecting some 100 volunteers to help Crossroads International. The nonprofit corporation takes Hong Kong’s quality surplus goods and redistributes them to the needy.
* EDS volunteers in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Virginia will participate in the ‘Walk for Kids’ charity. Proceeds will benefit local Ronald McDonald House and Big Brothers/Big Sisters organizations.
* EDS Brazil is organizing fundraising events and food drives in numerous locations to support six charitable organizations in Brazil. More than 1,500 EDS employees and families are already participating.
* Volunteers in Tennessee through the “Help Feed the Children” program will distribute food to hungry children who have one or both parents away from home serving in active military.
* Hundreds of employees in Canada are committed to 30 volunteer projects across the country including walks to support breast cancer and heart disease research, Habitat for Humanity, and food banks.
Last year, EDS introduced the Global Volunteer Day Team award to especially recognize outstanding results achieved by EDS employees during Global Volunteer Day. EDS donates $1,000 to the charity that was supported by the winning team. In 2005, 15 teams were selected, and the award benefited charitable organizations in: Australia, Canada, England, Hong Kong, Hungary, Thailand, Singapore and the states of Georgia, Illinois, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee and Texas in the United States.
To learn more about Global Volunteer Day or EDS in the community, go to www.eds.com/about/community.
EDS is a leading global technology services company delivering business solutions to its clients. EDS founded the information technology outsourcing industry more than 40 years ago. Today, EDS delivers a broad portfolio of information technology and business process outsourcing services to clients in the manufacturing, financial services, healthcare, communications, energy, transportation, and consumer and retail industries and to governments around the world. Learn more at eds.com.
Note: EDS news releases are archived on this Web site for historical purposes. Information in the stories is accurate at the time of release. However, service offerings and availability, relationships, contacts and other specified information may change over time. Information as stated in the release may or may not be in effect after the date on the release.
- Contact Information
- Barbara W. McCann
- Contact via E-mail
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.