EMC Links the Power of Model-Based Resource Management with Application Awareness
Launches EMC Smarts Application Discovery Manager 5.0
Solution Enables Enterprises to View Network and Storage Resources In the Context of their Distributed Business Applications
Hopkinton, Mass.-Wednesday, October 4, 2006, EMC Corporation, the world leader in information management and storage, today unveiled EMC Smarts Application Discovery Manager (ADM) 5.0. This newest data center management solution allows enterprises to view network and storage resources in the context of their distributed business applications. Linking the power of model-based resource management with application awareness, the software can quickly pinpoint the impact of infrastructure incidents and configuration changes on business service availability.
“Our acquisition of nLayers three months ago was driven by our strategy to provide infrastructure management across the application, network, server and storage domains,” said Chris Gahagan, EMC’s Senior Vice President, Resource Management Software. “With increased IT complexity, companies need broader insight into the behavior of these domains and how they interact to drive business services. With EMC Smarts Application Discovery Manager 5.0, we’re taking the next step by leveraging the power of EMC Smarts in the applications domain.”
Smarts ADM 5.0’s real-time dependency catalog eliminates reliance on guesswork and minimizes change-induced service outages, degradations and failures. Enterprises can detect, log and report on software and hardware configuration changes and compare them on a server-to-server basis. Additionally, the software’s embedded, real-time Configuration Management Database (CMDB) allows enterprises to accurately manage the impact of changes and infrastructure incidents across multiple data centers and throughout the information infrastructure.
The software further extends EMC’s award-winning, real-time discovery and mapping capabilities, adding reconciliation, federation, analytics and new dashboards. Smarts ADM 5.0 is the most comprehensive software for discovering and mapping the dynamic relationships between services, applications and technology infrastructures. This latest release includes all underlying components that a customer needs to automate the population and maintenance of a CMDB.
“The ultimate goal of a CMDB is to bring together highly diverse data sources into a single, federated system. The end result should paint an accurate picture of the health and availability of critical business resources,” said Dennis Drogseth, Vice President, Enterprise Management Associates. “To achieve this, customers should have a solid understanding of the applications environment and how configuration changes and problems in one domain impact the multiple layers of the IT infrastructure. By bringing together nLayers and Smarts technologies, EMC is taking a significant step in helping customers realize the CMDB vision.”
Smarts ADM 5.0 includes the following new features:
* High-Definition Discovery: Automatically discovers and maps J2EE applications, their modules and components and relationships. The solution also discovers and maps granular components within packaged enterprise applications, documented and active dependencies, intraserver relationships and multiple instances of installed application server and database applications.
* Distributed Data Center Deployment: To meet the needs of geographically dispersed enterprises, Smarts ADM 5.0 offers a distributed architecture, enabling scalable, worldwide deployments via new models including the EMC Smarts ADM Aggregator and EMC Smarts ADM Collectors. These new models – along with software to support data aggregation and reconciliation across data centers – enable the solution to scale in the most complex and dynamic networks.
* Automated Fingerprinting of Custom Applications: Using fingerprints, Smarts ADM 5.0 uniquely identifies more than 500 packages and applications out-of-the-box. For enterprises with custom applications, the solution’s new heuristic fingerprinting recognizes common n-tier application interactions and automatically groups and maps them without prior knowledge of that application.
* Open Reconciliation Engine: Enables customers to reconcile CMDB data across diverse discovery sources. The software automatically stages and reconciles the data before it is allowed to enter the CMDB, ensuring all configuration information is accurate, current and clean.
* Dashboards and Analytics: New CMDB dashboards provide a quick status of the CMDB environment using graphs, charts and tables that summarize discovery information and track changes that have occurred in the application environment over time.
* Extensibility: By adding federation and reconciliation, customers gain a single view of all CMDB data regardless of where the data resides. Instead of feeding all system and component information into a single repository, new federation capabilities enable customers to integrate Smarts ADM 5.0 into in-house or third-party CMDB deployments or leverage the solution as a truth-based, reconciled CMDB system of record.
Smarts ADM 5.0 is a key component of EMC’s Resource Management product portfolio. EMC Resource Management products enable thousands of midsize and large enterprises to monitor, report and provision their information infrastructures to improve service levels and optimize network and storage utilization. EMC’s storage, network and application management products are widely recognized as the leading applications for resource management.
Starting at $50,000, Smarts ADM 5.0 is available immediately through EMC. For more information, please visit http://www.emc.com/products/software/smarts/adm/
EMC Corporation (NYSE: EMC) is the world leader in products, services and solutions for information management and storage that help organizations extract the maximum value from their information, at the lowest total cost, across every point in the information lifecycle. Information about EMC’s products and services can be found at www.EMC.com.
For more on EMC news, events, and recent media coverage visit the news section of EMC.com. Note to editors: For further information about this release contact EMC Public Relations at firstname.lastname@example.org
EMC, Smarts, and nLayers are registered trademarks of EMC Corporation and its subsidiaries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
- Contact Information
- Craig Librett
- Press Contact
- EMC Corporation
- Contact via E-mail
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.