Low-Power Electric Motors Can Now Dissipate Even Less Power with New Intelligent Power Modules from STMicroelectronics
Geneva, March 14, 2016 - STMicroelectronics has expanded its Intelligent Power Module portfolio with the introduction of the SLLIMMô -nano 2nd series, adding higher power levels and new package options that are especially suited to increasing the efficiency and reducing cost. The new SLLIMM-nano devices suit compressors, pumps, and fans in domestic appliances such as refrigerators and washing machines, and any low-power motors working up to 20 kHz in hard-switching circuits in an application power range up to 200W.
SLLIMM-nano devices integrate three half-bridge high-voltage gate drivers, six IGBTs, and six fast and ultra-soft freewheeling recovery diodes, as well low-voltage input logic that allow the devices to implement the complete interface between a low-power microcontroller and a mains-powered three-phase electric motor. The design of the embedded IGBTs (a planar technology for the 3A and a dedicated TFS (Trench-gate Field Stop) technology for the 5A version) and the freewheeling diodes are tailored to offer the best trade-off between switching and conduction losses for low-power BLDC (Brushless DC) motor applications, resulting in high efficiency and low electromagnetic interference.
Key features of STís SLLIMM-nano 2nd series include:
- 3A-5A current rating at 25įC, with 600V breakdown voltage;
- Lower VCE(sat) 1.65V even at 5A, due to the TFS technology;
- Low EMI
- Mounted slot package options allowing easier and lower-cost heatsink assembly;
- Integrated bootstrap diode for lower BOM and simplified PCB layout;
- 150įC maximum operating junction temperature;
- Integrated op amp and comparator that can be used for protection circuits;
- Separate open emitter outputs to simplify PCB routing for both single and three shunt solutions;
- NTC (Negative Temperature Coefficient) for temperature monitoring;
- Smart shutdown function;
- In-line and zig-zag lead options, with/without stand-off, for maximum layout flexibility;
- 1500 Vrms minimum isolation.
The first members of STís new SLLIMM-nano 2nd series are available now at prices starting from US$7.5 in volumes of 1,000 units. The devices are housed in N2DIP-26L packages with multiple lead options.
( Press Release Image: http://photos.webwire.com/prmedia/39750/202471/202471-1.jpg )
- Contact Information
- Michael Markowitz
- Director Technical Media Relations
- (1) 781 591 0354
This news content may be integrated into any legitimate news gathering and publishing effort. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.