California Residents Reminded to be on the Lookout for Asthma Triggers
LA Testing offers services to test for environmental asthma triggers that can be found in many homes across the state.
Garden Grove, CA, October 11, 2013
According to the American Lung Association, more than 5 million people in California suffer from asthma. This number includes close to 1 million children. For people who suffer from asthma, an attack can occur when they are exposed to environmental triggers. These triggers can vary from individual to individual, but there are a number of common asthma triggers that impact many.
By understanding what can trigger an asthma attack, those who suffer from the condition can take steps to avoid them or prepare themselves in those cases when they cannot be avoided. Common asthma triggers include:
- Mold - Breathing in mold can trigger an asthma attack. Homes and buildings with high humidity levels or that have suffered water damage may contain high levels of mold.
- Dust Mites - These tiny bugs are found in many homes. To prevent an asthma attack, use mattress and pillowcase covers to make a barrier between dust mites and people sleeping and wash bedding on the hottest water setting.
- Cockroaches –These pests and their droppings can trigger an asthma attack. Get rid of cockroaches in homes by removing as many water and food sources as possible.
- Pets - Furry pets should be kept out of bedrooms, bathed each week when possible and homes with pets should be vacuumed regularly.
- Smoke - Smoke from burning wood or other plants is made up of a mix of gases and small particles. Breathing in too much can cause an asthma attack.
- Outdoor Pollution - Pollution from factories, cars and other sources can also trigger an asthma attack.
- Other Triggers - Infections linked to influenza, colds and respiratory viruses can trigger an asthma attack. Sinus infections, allergies, breathing in certain chemicals and even acid reflux are potential triggers. Physical exercise; some medicines; bad weather; breathing in cold, dry air; and some foods, food additives and fragrances can also trigger the condition.
One company that has been helping California residents test for environmental and indoor asthma triggers is LA Testing. They recently sponsored an online video about common asthma triggers that can be seen at: http://youtu.be/Gk8o4Emf5NI
About LA Testing and EMSL Analytical, Inc.
LA Testing and EMSL Analytical are providers of environmental testing services and products to professionals and the general public. The companies have an extensive list of accreditations from leading organizations as well as state and federal regulating bodies. LA Testing has laboratories throughout California to service commercial clients and government agencies as well as the general public.
- Contact Information
- Joseph Frasca
- Senior Vice President of Marketing
- EMSL Analytical
- (1) 1-800-303-0047
This news content may be integrated into any legitimate news gathering and publishing effort. Linking is permitted.