Nike and Manchester City Reveal Away Kit for Upcoming Season
Nike’s first Manchester City away kit goes back to club’s roots for design inspiration.
For the 2013-14 season Manchester City will play in a new Nike-designed away kit that honors the club’s history and founding fathers. The club unveiled the kit today in Hong Kong as part of its pre-season tour.
City was founded as St Mark’s in 1880 before becoming Gorton AFC in 1884, and then Ardwick AFC between 1887 and 1894. The new City away shirt has a subtle half-and-half design, a graphic element that reflects Ardwick AFC’s design in the 1890-91 season. The colors represent Gorton AFC, who played in black.
The away shirt features a grandfather collar, a long placket and a stand at the back.
The Manchester City crest, Nike Swoosh and sponsor’s logo are all in gold to reflect the Club’s most recent successes.
The new away shorts are black, and the away socks are black with a dark charcoal band at the top.
This new kit showcases Nike’s committment to aiding the performance of players with key technological benefits:
• The kit is made from recycled polyester as part of Nike’s commitment to produce performance apparel with reduced environmental impact. The shirt and shorts of each kit are made from up to thirteen recycled plastic water bottles.
• In the pioneering process, plastic bottles are chopped into flakes, then melted down to form yarn that is spun into fabric, reducing energy consumption by up to 30 percent compared to manufacturing virgin polyester.
• Since 2010, Nike has diverted more than 1.1 billion plastic bottles from landfill through the use of recycled polyester.
FABRIC AND NIKE DRI-FIT
• The kit weighs just 150 grams, 23 percent lighter than previous Nike kits. It also boasts a 20 percent stronger knit structure and significantly improved stretch.
• The fabric uses Nike Dri-FIT technology to draw sweat away from the body through the fabric where it can evaporate, to keep players cool and dry.
• Ventilation zones, consisting of tiny laser-cut holes, feature under the arms on both sides, as well as at the shorts waistband, to allow additional comfort and cooling. A mesh panel across the entire back increases air circulation.
FIT AND CONSTRUCTION
• The shirt has been crafted with bonded T-bars to support the seams at key points and inner welded seams with a clean finish to give a more striking appearance, while also increasing comfort and performance.
NIKE PRO COMBAT
• To complete the ultimate playing uniform for modern football, Nike Pro Combat baselayer is supplied to be worn underneath the match-day kit, offering players greater comfort and impact protection.
• The Nike Pro Combat range of long-sleeve and short-sleeve tops made of sweat-wicking fabric allows players to keep cool and dry in hot conditions, and warm and dry when the weather becomes cold. The slider shorts feature extra padding and thigh protection to absorb impact so players can go to ground and tackle with greater confidence.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.