Centrica backs Government pledge to cut deaths and injuries at work
Sam Laidlaw, the Chief Executive of Centrica, has signed the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) pledge - a UK-wide initiative which aims to bring organisations from all sectors together to commit to making their workplaces as safe and healthy as possible.
Centrica is now calling on others in industry to make a similar commitment and demonstrate the importance they place on the health and safety of their workers, customers and any members of the public who may be affected by what they do.
Sam Laidlaw said after the signing:
“A strong focus on health and safety has always been my number one priority and is especially important in an industry such as energy production and supply. The new HSE strategy clearly sets out the priorities for businesses if we are to reduce work related injuries and ill-health in this country, and I am delighted to give it our full endorsement. The focus on strong leadership is totally consistent with our own new strategy, and we will be seeking to drive further improvement in our own performance and that of our business partners.”
HSE Chief Executive Geoffrey Podger, said:
"We are delighted that Centrica is signing the pledge and hope it encourages others in British industry to do the same.
The company’s senior managers are clear that health and safety is a key area for them as business leaders and the signing of the pledge demonstrates the commitment they have made to reducing work related deaths, injuries and ill-health.
We are looking forward to seeing the work of Centrica and all the other organisations that have signed the pledge do to improve health and safety standards in workplaces across Great Britain"
Notes to editors:
1. The ‘pledge’ is a way for organisations to show their support for HSE’s new strategy which sees strong leadership and a common-sense, practical approach to health and safety as a way to improve performance in this area and bring about real business benefits.
2. Further information on the HSE pledge is available on the HSE website at: http://www.hse.gov.uk/strategy/pledge.htm
3. The HSE pledge says that Centrica will:
* agree to play our part in reducing the numbers of work-related deaths, injuries and ill-health in Great Britain.
* call on employers to put health and safety at the heart of what they do and to take a common sense approach to health and safety.
* commit to debunking myths around health and safety that trivialise the impact of injuries, ill health and deaths on individuals and their families.
* recognise the importance of health and safety in difficult economic times and the dangers of complacency.
* pledge to work with the Health and Safety Executive and its partners to ‘be part of the solution’.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.