A Safe Thanksgiving Meal Results from Food Free of Foodborne Pathogens, Allergens and Mycotoxins
As the nation gets ready for the annual Thanksgiving feast the safety of the food that is about to be served is of the outmost importance. From farmers concerned about mold growth and mycotoxins on their crops to poultry processors working to prevent Salmonella outbreaks in holiday turkeys, food safety is a concern for us all.
The list of foodborne pathogens and dangers that could be associated with the Thanksgiving feast includes the following:
• Salmonella – an enteric bacterium that can cause severe illness and even death in those infected. It is one of the leading causes of foodborne illness in the United States and can be found in contaminated poultry, eggs and milk.
• E. coli O157:H7 – another enteric bacterium found in contaminated meats, vegetables and unpasteurized dairy products. Severe diarrhea and abdominal cramps are often associated with infection. Kidney failure and death can result in high risk individuals and children.
• Listeria monocytogenes – a virulent foodborne pathogen. Infection can lead to neurological difficulties, miscarriages and death. It has been associated with raw milk, cheese, poultry and fish and can grow at refrigerated temperatures.
• Campylobacter – this bacterium is often associated with poultry and unpasteurized dairy products. Infection is characterized with abdominal pain, fever, diarrhea and lack of energy.
• Mycotoxins - toxic metabolites produced by fungi. Fungal contamination of crops and stored food products is a major concern since mycotoxin contamination can lead to adverse health effects including liver cancer.
• Allergens - according to the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, millions of Americans have allergic reactions to food allergens each year. The reactions can range from mild to severe and can be life threatening.
To help protect people from food related safety hazards EMSL Analytical, a leading food testing laboratory, has been offering extensive allergen, mycotoxin and food testing services to the general public and food processing industries. To learn more about these testing services please contact EMSL Analytical at (800) 220-3675, visit www.EMSL.com or www.FoodTestingLab.com, or email info@EMSL.com.
About EMSL Analytical, Inc.
EMSL Analytical is a leading, national provider of environmental, consumer products and materials testing services and products to professionals and the general public. The company has an extensive list of accreditations from leading organizations as well as state and federal regulating bodies.
- Contact Information
- Joe Frasca
- Senior Vice President, Marketing
- EMSL Analytical, Inc.
- Contact via E-mail
This news content may be integrated into any legitimate news gathering and publishing effort. Linking is permitted.