AMD Advances its Commitment to OpenCL™ for GPU With Review by Standards Body
Industry standard allows developers to tap into power of ATI Stream to accelerate demanding software applications on AMD platforms
Sunnyvale, Calif. -- AMD (NYSE: AMD) announced submission of conformance logs for its OpenCL graphics processing unit (GPU) implementation to the Khronos Working Group and awaits certification. The GPU submission puts AMD one step closer to being the only semiconductor provider to offer both GPU and central processing unit (CPU) development environments for OpenCL. AMD’s ATI Stream technology leverages OpenCL to help developers more easily divide software workloads between the CPU and GPU for more efficient execution.
Other recent ATI Stream milestones:
* AMD was the first company to deliver a public beta release of an OpenCL software development platform for x86-based CPUs on August 5, 2009. The OpenCL for CPU implementation was certified conformant by Khronos on September 3, 2009.
* The complete ATI Stream SDK v2.0 for CPU and GPU software development using OpenCL is planned for full release later this year.
* To further meet the ATI Stream developer community’s needs, AMD has successfully completed the migration of its Brook+ project to SourceForge. SourceForge is a centralized online location for software developers to control and manage open source software, where the developer community can continue to work with and evolve the Brook+ code.
* AMD’s upcoming next generation ATI Radeon™ family of DirectX™ 11 enabled graphics processors are expected to be the first to support accelerated processing on the GPU through DirectCompute.
“The momentum behind AMD’s OpenCL implementation and ATI Stream technology has been building throughout the year, with an increasing number of software and hardware vendors joining AMD in supporting the open standard,” said Ben Bar-Haim, vice president of AMD software development. “Submitting a GPU conformance candidate to the standards body means we are encouraging software developers to fully utilize the processing capabilities of both our multi-core CPUs and our GPUs to create a more compelling user experience.”
* Sign up for the ATI Stream SDK v2.0 Beta Program
* More information about ATI Stream technology
Advanced Micro Devices (NYSE: AMD) is an innovative technology company dedicated to collaborating with customers and technology partners to ignite the next generation of computing and graphics solutions at work, home and play. For more information, visit www.amd.com.
AMD, the AMD Arrow logo, ATI, the ATI logo, Radeon, and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. OpenCL and the OpenCL logo are trademarks of Apple Inc. used by permission by Khronos. Other names are for informational purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.