Turner Sports Digital Golf Portfolio, Led by PGATOUR.COM, PGA.com and Yahoo! Sports, Sweeps First Half of 2009
Turner Sports announced today that online traffic for the golf sites it represents – PGATOUR.com, PGA.com and Yahoo! Sports – averaged 4.1 million unique users over the first six months of 2009, according to Nielsen. This performance capped a period in which the sites led the online golf marketplace every month and averaged more than twice the number of monthly uniques of the nearest competitor. Turner’s portfolio of sites registered an average of 73 million monthly page views and 67 million minutes per month, which was five times the nearest competitor, and also tops in the marketplace every month of 2009 for both metrics. In June 2009, Turner’s sites collectively garnered 5.5 million unique users, 119.6 million page views and 93 million minutes.
“Turner Sports takes great pride in the unique content, innovative technology and best-of-breed experience it is able to offer to fans, golfers and sponsors across PGATOUR.com, PGA.com and Yahoo! Sports, three of the greatest golf brands online,” said Matthew Hong, Turner Sports vice president and general manager of sports digital.
“As the official website of the PGA TOUR, PGATOUR.com gives fans unparalleled access to PGA TOUR players and tournaments through exclusive assets such as real-time scoring, live video, video highlights and editorial coverage,” said Lee Bushkell, vice president and general manager of PGATOUR.COM. “PGATOUR.COM’s inside the ropes coverage of the PGA TOUR sets us apart from our competition and makes us the premier golf website for fans and advertisers.”
“PGA.com, the official Web site of The PGA of America, is more than an access point for a golf enthusiast to follow a world-class field in the season’s final major, it also serves as a second-to-none resource to gain knowledge and advice from PGA Professionals, the leaders in the game and the business of golf,” said PGA of America President Jim Remy. “Visitors to the site will find outstanding content in instruction, the latest in equipment and travel advice along with breaking news in the industry. PGA.com is a golfer’s indispensable port of call.”
“Yahoo! Sports offers fans a comprehensive destination for outstanding golf experiences online, including the official fantasy golf game of PGATOUR.COM, content from PGATOUR.COM and PGA.com, and original stories from the Yahoo! Sports’ editorial staff. All these offerings contribute to Yahoo! Sports being the number one sports destination on the Web and delivering sporting news to more than 20 million sports fans each month,” said Kyle Laughlin, head of Yahoo! Sports and Games.
Recent highlights include:
• PGATOUR.COM has experienced record traffic growth in 2009 with year-over-year double-digit increases in average monthly unique visitors (+15%) and page views (+21%), according to Omniture.
• In June 2009, PGATOUR.com users spent more than 61 million total minutes on the site consuming more than 72 million page views. Both monthly numbers are greater than the totals of all other golf Web sites combined, according to Omniture.
• Nearly 202 million video streams served to date in 2009 on PGATOUR.com, a 538% increase compared to 2008, according to Omniture.
• Exclusive live video streaming on PGATOUR.COM’s LIVE@ franchise, including more than 1.6 million live video streams in 2009 from The Players Championship, WGC-CA Championship, The Memorial and The Travelers Championship, according to Omniture.
• Official coverage of the 2008 Ryder Cup on PGA.com, which set event records for daily unique users and page views with video streams up 250% over 2006, according to Omniture.
• PGA.com’s coverage of the 2009 Open Championship, which set record traffic numbers for its coverage of the event, including year-over-year increases of nearly 50% for page views and 85% for video streams, according to Omniture.
• Continued growth on PGA.com as the leading lifestyle golf site and the premiere destination for golf instruction content, with video streams in the second quarter of 2009 up 85% year-over-year, according to Omniture.
• The number one sports destination online, Yahoo! Sports, leverages its status by giving golf fans more editorial stories, stimulating blog posts and live content, with fans consuming 34% more pages year-over-year, according to Nielsen.
• Yahoo! Sports continues to increase the numbers of golf fans visiting the site, year-over-year the site’s audience has experienced 11% growth, according to Nielsen.
• Devil Ball, Yahoo! Sports’ golf blog and the number one golf blog on the Internet, reached an average of three million fans during the first six months of 2009 and had a record setting month in April 2009 with 4.9 million unique users, according to internal data.
PGA.com is the production alliance of The PGA of America and managing partner Turner Sports. It is the official online destination for The PGA and home to the PGA Championship, the Senior PGA Championship, The PGA Grand Slam of Golf and The Ryder Cup. A leader and innovator in broadband golf coverage, the site successfully launched its PGA.com Pipeline broadband product in 2006, garnering record numbers for the site in both 2006 and 2007, with the coverage receiving more than 2 million streams during the course of the 2007 PGA Championship. In 2007 PGA.com Pipeline was nominated for an Emmy® by the National Television Academy. Turner Sports and The PGA formed a multi-year alliance in 2002, which was recently extended to 2019, with a mission to serve the golfing public, PGA Professionals and golf trade with products and services, such as the PGA.com Value Guide, that inspire, direct and facilitate participation in the sport nationwide.
The official Web site of the PGA TOUR, PGATOUR.com was launched in 1997 to serve the growing needs of golf fans. In 2006, the PGA Tour partnered with Turner Sports to co-produce the site. With an international fan base following the action of the PGA TOUR, Champions Tour and Nationwide Tour, PGATOUR.com is the number one site in golf. PGATOUR.com features official real-time scoring, world-class editorial content, exclusive LIVE@ multimedia coverage and its complete PGA TOUR archive of stats.
About Yahoo! Sports
Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com), the number one sports destination on the Internet for 15 consecutive months, is where fans go everyday to see what is happening with teams and sports that matter to them most. With original fantasy games, real-time scores, and breaking news features, Yahoo! Sports is the destination of choice for more than 20 million fans each month.
About Turner Sports
Turner Sports, Inc., a Time Warner company, presents some of the best and most popular sporting events worldwide and is a leader in televised and online sports programming. With events airing on TBS and TNT, Turner Sports’ line-up includes NASCAR and NASCAR.COM, the NBA, Major League Baseball, professional golf, PGATour.com and PGA.com. Turner Sports and the NBA also jointly manage NBA Digital, which includes NBA TV, NBA.com, NBA League Pass, NBADLeague.com and WNBA.com.
About Turner Broadcasting System, Inc.
Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., a Time Warner company, creates and programs branded news, entertainment, animation and young adult media environments on television and other platforms for consumers around the world.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.