Dell Delivers Services to Help Customers Transition to Windows 7, Server 2008 R2
Customers on Windows XP Face Unique Issues in Upgrading to Windows 7; Dell Services Simplify Migration to Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2.
Dell today announced a comprehensive set of services to help customers transition to the Microsoft’s Windows 7 operating system (OS).
According to a July 2009, Forrester Research Inc. report: Corporate Desktop Operating System Trends, Q3 2008 – Q2 2009, 86 percent of corporate customers through March 2009 were still running Microsoft® Windows® XP.
Dell will also provide additional ProConsult capabilities to address SQL Server environments.
As with any major software transition, many customers are concerned about data migration, hardware limitations, compatibility and integration of existing applications and licensing issues associated with upgrading to Windows 7.
Dell and Microsoft are tightly integrated and continue to work together throughout the development and testing of Windows 7. As a result, Dell services are tuned to address specific IT pain points of OS transitions. Dell is helping early adopters transition efficiently and cost-effectively to beta versions of Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2.
Dell provides customers a unique set of services for assessment, design and deployment which can reduce the time and risk of migration by utilizing proven reference architecture with field tested operational models. Dell can help customers understand the business potential of transitioning to Windows 7 and/or Server 2008 R2. Upcoming offerings that can help optimize and manage customers’ infrastructure, include:
* Application Management Services: Application compatibility is a key concern for many customers. Dell has developed a suite of services to efficiently identify, test, remediate and deploy applications. Dell can also help customers inventory and rationalize their application portfolio before initiating the remediation activities to focus resources on the most critical applications.
* Migration and Deployment Services: In order to ease upgrading to Windows 7, Dell offers readiness assessments and optimized OS deployment services. Dell’s optimized deployment services help customers with all migration aspects including organization, infrastructure, hardware, software, image and deployment. By leveraging Dell’s global deployment capabilities and tools, customers can more efficiently upgrade to Windows 7, while decreasing deployment time, mitigating risk, and reducing network traffic.
* Image Management Services: These provide fully functional images built by Dell consultants according to the customers’ specifications that are ready for deployment of Windows 7 on Dell client systems.
ProConsult Services Simplify the Transition to Microsoft SQL Server 2008
Many midsize and large businesses find planning a SQL Server upgrade complex and time consuming. Dell offers ProConsult services to ease the transition to Microsoft SQL Server 2008, including:
* Evaluation of existing infrastructure to identify instances that may be nearing capacity or could benefit from SQL Server 2008 features.
* Design and implementation services to carry out database migration and deploy new Dell server hardware optimized for SQL Server 2008.
* Migration of DTS packages from SQL Server 2000 to 2005 and 2008.
* Disaster Recovery, high availability and backup solutions to meet customers’ needs.
Dell’s Microsoft Consulting and Services Business
Dell offers a comprehensive suite of ProConsult, ProSupport and ProManage services to enable customers to get the most out of their Microsoft environments. Dell services offerings have been developed in conjunction with Microsoft and are complementary. These offerings are structured around three primary areas: servers and tools, messaging and communications, and collaboration and databases.
With the capabilities added through the Allin acquisition in 2009, Dell has built an end-to-end Microsoft consulting practice to help businesses better plan, deploy and manage their entire infrastructure, from the data center to the desktop. Dell was recently added to Microsoft Consulting Services’ Preferred Services Partner (PSP) Program in the U.S. In addition, Dell is a Global Application Compatibility Factory (ACF) partner for Microsoft.
“Dell is already helping customers realize the benefits of upgrading to Microsoft Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. Many customers fear that migrating to a new OS can be time-consuming and complicated, requiring armies of consultants. It is our job to take as much pain out of the process as possible with a complete portfolio of fixed-scoped services. We have one of the tightest integrations with Microsoft and have spent literally thousands of engineering hours to help develop and test Windows 7 on the Dell platform.”— Larry Baldachin, Director of Microsoft Consulting Services, Dell Inc.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.