Extensis® Universal Type Server® 2.0 Now Available
First font server to deliver full Active Directory and Open Directory integration, simplified administration, deeper font license compliance control and many other new features.
PORTLAND, Ore. – Extensis, a division of Celartem Inc., today announced the immediate availability of Universal Type Server 2.0, the world’s leading server-based font management solution for both Macintosh and Windows platforms. This font server upgrade is available in two different versions: Professional for workgroups of any size and Lite for teams of up to ten concurrent users.
Some of the new features in Universal Type Server 2.0 include:
* Secure integration with Active Directory and Open Directory for simple user management-- free for new and existing customers for a limited time
* External Database Module supports Microsoft SQL Server for enhanced scalability
* Report on font license compliance and track users’ access to fonts
* Manage user system fonts with “system font policy”, including the ability to remove unlicensed fonts
* Amazing font previews with “tear-off” functionality
* Auto-activation plug-ins for Mac and Windows clients: Adobe Illustrator® and InDesign® CS2, CS3 and CS4, as well as QuarkXPress® 7 and 8
“We’ve been really happy with Universal Type Server and especially with Extensis’ quick response to customer needs,” said David Aufox, Network Operations Manager at Louise Blouin Media. “The new Active Directory integration with single sign-on functionality is extremely important in our deadline driven environment. The font licensing and reporting capabilities give us the control we need to ensure we remain fully compliant with our fonts.”
Universal Type Server 2.0 Professional is the only server-based font management solution that offers secure and dynamic integration with Microsoft’s Active Directory and Apple’s Open Directory, with full support for Kerberos single sign-on.
“We have received really great feedback from our users and have eliminated help desk calls relating to font issues,” said Chris Harford, Macintosh Engineer at Macmillan USA. “The new directory integration module will help us simplify user management and create an even better font management system.”
Universal Type Server 2 offers other key features, including:
* Batch apply user settings in Administration
* Remotely deploy server connection settings to clients
* Enhanced server-controlled Startup Sets
* SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) support
* Define “allowed” system fonts for System Font Policy
* Directory Integration Module:
o Set synchronization schedule and optionally remove users
o Set default role for import
o Optionally require Kerberos authentication
* Filter, export and regenerate License Compliance Report
* Set maximum number of retained backups on the server
* Warnings to offline users, when font access is about to expire
* Ability for administrators to view all workgroups a font is in, as well as delete fonts from user (server-based) personal workgroups
* Enhanced font corruption handling
* Ability to override system fonts in the client
* Added search criteria for better visibility EG: “Added By” search field to monitor when a font was added to the system and by whom
Pricing and Availability
Universal Type Serveris available immediately. Universal Type Server Professional is available at an estimated retail price of US $1,800.00 for the Server plus $165.00 per Client Connection. Universal Type Server Professional and associated clients include a one-year Annual Service Agreement. Universal Type Server Lite sells for an estimated retail price of US $1,395 and includes 10 Client Access Licenses.
Universal Type Server 2 upgrade, client access license upgrades and the new Directory Integration Module will be available free-of-charge to existing Universal Type Server Professional customers under a current annual service agreement (ASA). In addition, the Directory Integration Module will be offered free of charge for all new Universal Type Server 2.0 Professional customers for a limited time. Upgrade pricing is available for all current Universal Type Server Lite, FontReserve Server, Suitcase Server, and volume license customers.
Universal Type Server will be available in English, French and German.
For more information on Universal Type Server family of products, visit www.extensis.com/typeserver.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.