Thomson Financial Announces Results From Annual Web Site Survey: Sophisticated Investors Want Investor Relations Web Sites Loaded With Easy-to-find Financial And Non-Financial Information
New York, NY, 02/15/2006, Thomson Financial, an operating unit of The Thomson Corporation (TSX: TOC, NYSE: TOC) and leading provider of information and technology solutions to the worldwide financial community, today announced results from a recent survey eliciting feedback from the buy-side and sell-side on using Web sites to research public companies. Derived from a pool of U.S.-based firms, 304 analysts and investors were polled via an online questionnaire during a two-week period in January 2006.
“Thomson Financial’s annual Web site survey validates the trends and demands of today’s sophisticated investors,” said David Bairstow, vice president, Thomson Financial. “Investors want Web sites that are fully loaded. In addition to investor presentations and financial reports, now more than ever, corporate governance information, data on debt, earnings estimates and video content are some of the most desired features of an IR Web site.”
Key survey findings include:
- More than 71% of respondents access investor relations Web sites weekly or more often; a quarter access IR Web sites at least daily.
- Investor presentations are the single most important information to access on a company’s Web site, investors say (43% of respondents rated as most important), followed by annual and quarterly reports (34%). Other information that investors would like to access via Web site corporate governance information, data on debt, earnings estimates and video content.
- Investors prefer to access or receive financial information via e-mail alerts (77%) or the company’s Web site (59%). Other popular methods include conference calls (57%), and webcasts (50%). Faxes were the least popular method (2%).
- Meanwhile, investors prefer to see non-financial information delivered via a company’s Web site (70%) or in a conference presentation (58%).
- Of those analysts familiar with RSS, about 45% would like to receive news releases via RSS.
- Meanwhile, investors prefer to see non-financial information delivered via a company’s Web site (70%) or in a conference presentation (58%). Management reputation is the intangible asset at the forefront of investors’ minds. In addition, investors indicated that they consider competitive advantage, guidance, macro trends, and strategy as they evaluate investment prospects.
- Keep your Web site up to date and easy to navigate, without too many clicks to get to critical information: difficulty finding up-to-date information is the single greatest pet peeve of investors using company Web sites to conduct research (76%). Other complaints that detract from the usefulness of IR Web sites include:
* Difficulty printing documents
* Information that is hard or time consuming to find (as in too many clicks)
* Being required to enter personal information in order to access information
Backing up this desire for easy to find information, analyst Mario Pierry of Deutsche Bank said, “A corporate Web site’s ease of navigation plays a significant role in my research. My biggest pet peeves are when I can’t easily find up-to-date information and being required to enter personal data to access information.”
Thomson Financial Corporate Services provides more than 4,500 companies with a comprehensive, one-stop resource for delivering and managing online corporate communications. Through complete Investor Relations and Public Relations Web site solutions as well as audio and video webcast solutions, Thomson’s communication platform helps companies effectively reach the key audiences that contribute to building and maintaining shareholder value. With a robust Web site, Corporate Communications Professionals can gain global reach, communicate a comprehensive story, and provide a rich, multimedia experience, while meeting journalists’ needs, managing their message, and saving money.
About Thomson Financial
Thomson Financial, with 2005 revenues of US$1.9 billion, is a provider of information and technology solutions to the worldwide financial community. Through the widest range of products and services in the industry, Thomson Financial helps clients in more than 70 countries make better decisions, be more productive and achieve superior results. Thomson Financial is part of The Thomson Corporation (www.thomson.com), a global leader in providing integrated information solutions to more than 20 million business and professional customers in the fields of law, tax, accounting, financial services, higher education, reference information, corporate e-learning and assessment, scientific research and healthcare. With revenues of US$8.70 billion, The Thomson Corporation lists its common shares on the New York and Toronto stock exchanges (NYSE: TOC; TSX: TOC).
- Contact Information
- Kerri Shepherd
- Manager, Public Relations
- Thomson Corporation
- Contact via E-mail
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.