Nissan to Co-Host the 9th National Wheelchair Marathon "NISSAN Cup Oppama Championship 2008"
Tokyo. - Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. will co-host the 9th National Wheelchair Marathon “NISSAN Cup Oppama Championship 2008” for three days from December 5 to December 7, 2008. The special marathon will take place at its Oppama Plant (Natsushima-cho, Yokosuka City, Kanagawa-Prefecture) and Yokosuka City, Kanagawa Prefecture.
Marking its ninth year, the national wheelchair marathon has greatly contributed to the development of sports for the disabled. The event has helped strenghtened bonds between the corporate sector and local communities with over 500 Nissan employees and local volunteers working together as route-marshals and water-station staff along the route every year since the first event in 2000.
Attracting about 200 wheelchair marathoners every year, including accomplished paralympic athletes from all over Japan, the event celebrates the greatness of these outstanding athletics.
Nissan’s employees contribute to its “Taiyo Fund” which goes to various athletic organizations for the disabled. The marathon route will pass through Nissan’s Grandrive proving ground next to its Oppanma plant and the adjacent public roads.
Nissan continues to support community-based projects that will help contribute to improved quality of life for the communities in which it operates.
2007 Road Race
Outline of the 9th National Wheelchair Marathon
“NISSAN Cup Oppama Championship 2008”
1. Organizational Structure 1) Event name NISSAN Cup Oppama Championship 2008
2) Hosts NISSAN Cup Event Organizing Committee/ Oppama Tourism Association/ Association of Oppama Neighborhood Councils/ Oppama Council of Social Welfare/ Oppama Shoseikai/ Oppama Ginza-doori Shotenkai/ Nissan Oppama Plant
3) Co-host Kanto Athletic Association for the Disabled
4) Organizers Yokosuka City Athletics Association
5) Sponsors Kanagawa Prefecture/ Yokosuka City/ Yokosuka City Board of Education/ Yokosuka Chamber of Commerce and Industry/ Yokosuka Hojinkai/ Japan Association of Athletics Federations for the Disabled/ Variety Club Japan
6) Special support Taura Police Department, Kanagawa Prefecture
2. Event Schedule 7) Event Dates December 5 (Friday) - December 7 (Sunday), 2008
8) Venues Day 1 - December 5 (Friday): The athletics field of Iriyamazu Park in Yokosuka City
Day 2 - December 6 (Saturday): The Grandrive test course next to Nissan Oppama Plant
Day 3 - December 7 (Sunday): Starts and ends at the Oppama shopping district in Yokosuka City, covering public roads in Natsushima Kaizuka Street and the Grandrive proving ground next to the Nissan Oppama Plant
9) Event Schedule Day 1 - December 5 (Friday)
“Community Get Together” (for primary schools in Yokosuka City)
* No athletic event will be held on this day.
Day 2 - December 6 (Saturday)
Middle-distance races (2.5km, 5km, 10km)
Day 3 - December 7 (Sunday)
A half-marathon (21.095km) and “challenge race” (7.0325km) using public roads
10) Official Website http://nissan-cup.com/
11) Inquiries Contact person: Shioda, NISSAN Cup Event Organizing Committee
General Affairs Division, Oppama Plant, Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.