Drivers Warned to Check Car Insurance for Flood Damage Cover
As flood warnings start to be issued across Britain this week, motorists could be left submerged – both literally and financially.
Flooding can cause extensive damage to a vehicle, both to the bodywork and the engine. Drivers can face extremely high repair bills or worse still have their car written off. It is estimated that nearly 30% of UK drivers may not be insured by their motor insurance cover if their vehicle is damaged as a result of flooding.
The most flood prone areas of the UK are Yorkshire, Humberside and the East and West Midlands, with South Yorkshire the worst hit in last year’s floods.
Leading high street insurance retailer, Swinton , is advising UK drivers to check their motor insurance policy for flood cover as many drivers may not be covered if their vehicle is damaged.
Steve Chelton, Insurer Development Manager at Swinton said: “Some drivers choose third party only or third party fire and theft policies because they are often less expensive and uncomplicated. However these car insurance policies might not provide cover for flood damage and it is crucial that drivers are conscious of what is and isn’t included in their policy.”
Swinton has offered the following advice for those motorists living or traveling in flood prone areas:
• If you live in a flood prone area think about moving your motor to higher ground if both possible and safe to do so.
• Plan your journey to avoid the worst affected areas.
• Do not drive through flood water if you do not know how deep it is. It can only take a few inches of water to cause considerable damage to your motor.
• If you have to drive through flood water , stay on the highest part of the road assuming it is safe to do so.
• If your car is submerged in water do not try to start it. If flood water has entered the interior it can cause electrical malfunction such as airbags inflating or electrical fires.
For further information please contact, Anoushka Foster, Michael Travers or Lucy Oates at Spinoza Kennedy Vesey PR on Tel: 0161 838 7770 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact Information
- Lucy Oates
- Account Executive
- SKV PR
- Contact via E-mail
This news content may be integrated into any legitimate news gathering and publishing effort. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.