Dow to Showcase Energy Efficient and Sustainable Building Solutions at GreenBuild 2008
Green building design starts with a “whole building” approach to energy efficiency and sustainability, and Dow industry experts will be on hand to explain how at the 2008 GreenBuild International Conference and Expo, held in Boston from November 18-21.
“Naturally, there is a tendency to focus on selecting individual products that will boost your LEED credits, but by looking at the whole building and creating an energy efficient design from top to bottom, you can realize a tremendous reduction in energy costs, maximize your LEED credits -- and help the environment at the same time,” says Scott Young, director of Energy Efficiency, Dow Building Solutions. “Our booth theme this year is “Great Minds Think Green” and what we’re saying to our customers is Dow will collaborate with you to create that sustainable, energy efficient building design. We think it gives customers a feeling of reassurance knowing that we’ve got the big picture in mind and they’re not tackling it on their own.”
Dow representatives who specialize in energy efficiency, sustainability, thermal dynamics and building codes for both residential and commercial construction will be available at Dow’s booth #607 to answer questions and demonstrate the latest examples of how Dow applies the principles of sustainable science to develop practical solutions to solve the toughest construction challenges.
What’s New From Dow Building Solutions?
* New 3-in-1 Solution Makes Building Energy Efficient Homes Accessible to All Builders: STYROFOAM SIS™ Brand Structural Insulated Sheathing combines the structural and water-resistive properties of wood sheathing and housewrap, with the added benefit of insulation. The three-in-one solution meets or exceeds residential code for structural shear bracing, water-resistive barrier and thermal protection in one convenient product. Containing up to 80 percent post-consumer recycled content and offering homeowners an estimated $200 to $500* in energy savings each year, STYROFOAM SIS is a cost-effective option for builders looking to differentiate themselves in the green building space.
* Garden Roof Assemblies That Help Lower Energy Bills and Reduce Waste: Protected Membrane Roof (PMR) assemblies integrate STYROFOAM™ Brand Insulation and HYPERLAST™ Membranes to create “garden roofs” that reduce a building’s energy costs and can earn credits in the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED) program. Garden roofs also help keep cities cooler, because the vegetation redirects the sun’s energy from being absorbed in the concrete and asphalt of urban landscapes. Garden roofs have a longer life-cycle than typical low-slope roofs, minimizing long-term replacement costs and subsequent waste.
* Energy Efficient Steel Stud Commercial Buildings Just Got Easier: The new THERMAX™ Total Wall System was developed specifically for steel stud commercial buildings and enables architects and contractors to create energy-efficient, moisture-managed walls with fewer materials and installation steps. Providing exceptional protection against thermal bridging, moisture damage and air infiltration, THERMAX™ Total Wall System integrates THERMAX™ ci Exterior Insulation, STYROFOAM™ Spray Foam (CM Series) and WEATHERMATE™ Flashings in one easy-to-source solution. Each component of the THERMAX™ Total Wall System is EnergyStar® qualified and can help earn LEED credits.
* Zero Ozone-Depleting Foaming Agent Reduces CO2 Emissions: Well in advance of U.S. and Canadian regulations under the Montreal Protocol, Dow developed a new foaming agent technology for its STYROFOAM Brand Insulation products that is non-ozone depleting. Within the first year of installation, STYROFOAM Insulation can save the equivalent CO2 used in its production, through the energy savings achieved by the buildings it insulates and protects. The thermal protection, durability, and moisture management that continuous insulation provides enables buildings to minimize energy usage and carbon emissions, last longer, and enhance occupant comfort and productivity.
Carpet Backing Solutions Made With Sustainable Technology from Dow:
* RENUVA™ Renewable Resource Technology is used to create polyurethane carpet backing made of soy-based polyols. The proprietary process breaks down vegetable oil and functionalizes it to make polyols with high levels of renewable content. The technology is greenhouse-gas neutral and requires 60 percent fewer fossil fuels than the manufacture of traditional petroleum-based materials.
* LOMAX™ Technology uses renewable energy (currently landfill gas) to manufacture Dow’s latex carpet backing, replacing approximately 200,000 barrels of oil and reducing CO2 emissions by approximately 27 million pounds in annual production.
From top to bottom, inside and out, these building and flooring solutions are all part of how Dow is working to achieve its 2015 Sustainability Goals related to energy efficiency and reducing global carbon emissions. By employing some of these solutions, in addition to taking other measures, Dow has significantly reduced its own energy requirements worldwide, and was named “2008 Energy Star Partner of the Year” by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). In addition, Dow has teamed with Global Solar Energy to create a flexible solar roof shingle to make home-generated solar power more accessible, as a part of the U.S. Department of Energy Solar America Initiative (SAI).
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.