2009 Honda CRF450R - Features and Benefits
In the all-new and lighter 2009 CRF450R, a brand-new engine with electronic fuel injection, developed concurrently with an entirely new rolling chassis, work together to deliver 450-class-leading power along with 250-style handling. It’s an unprecedented blend of power, suspension and handling that together bring a genuine revolution to the premier motocross class.
Features & Benefits
New for 2009
* All new lighter engine
* Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI)
* All-new fifth generation aluminum frame features a longer swing arm, and a lower CG for improved acceleration and better front wheel traction
* Kayaba front and rear suspension
* Redesigned higher-capacity airbox improves filter access
* Innovative exhaust system improves mass centralization
* All new bodywork
* All-new engine spins faster-11,450 rpm-and harder, churning out 56.3 bhp at 8500 rpm and 37.5 lb./ft. of torque at 7000 rpm.
* Liquid-cooled four-valve Unicam® 449cc engine produces more than 125.3 hp per liter and now utilizes a four-lobe camshaft and individual rocker arms for each exhaust valve to reduce weight and contribute to higher rpm ceiling.
* Engine completely redesigned to lower the overall height and position it closer to front wheel, resulting in a lower overall Cg and better weight distribution for better handling.
* Engine height reduced by shortening length of connecting rod 3.5mm (105.6 to 102.1mm) to allow shorter cylinder.
* Relocated crankshaft main journal cradles (inside of flywheels) allows reduction of connecting rod big-end diameter (34 to 33mm), reducing weight while maintaining overall strength. Crankshaft cutaway eliminates piston skirt contact at BDC, also reducing weight.
* Reshaped cylinder head combustion chamber is shorter yet has a larger volume squish area for better flame propagation.
* Lightweight titanium intake valves and redesigned valve springs reduce overall engine height and permit higher rpm. New intake valve stem diameters reduced (5.5 to 5.0mm).
* Lower camshaft mount built into the cylinder head to reduce weight and engine height.
* Cam sprocket now press-fitted to camshaft, reducing weight by 20 grams compared to previous bolted design.
* Cylinder attaches to engines cases with through-bolts instead of studs, allowing in frame cylinder removal.
* New forged slipper-piston material permits thinner crown, contributing to shorter cylinder height. Low-friction surface treatment assures high-rev potential.
* Lightweight Ni-SiC cylinder lining provides cooler and quieter operation for extended engine life.
* Redesigned auto decompression and hot restart procedure is simplified and lighter with cam-integrated plunger and shaft-integrated decompression weight for easy starting in hot or cold conditions.
* All-new Programmed Fuel Injection system (PGM-FI) utilizes a 50mm throttle body design with 12-hole injection nozzle fed by lightweight 50-psi pump to ensure optimum fuel atomization and precisely targeted fuel charge. System also achieves an improvement in fuel consumption.
* PGM-FI system monitors throttle position, intake air and coolant temperatures, air pressure and gear position to accurately map fuel charge and ignition spark, significantly improving partial-throttle response and helping assure excellent rideability.
* AC generator enlarged to service PGM-FI system. Two crankshaft position sensors quickly determine crank position to provide quick starts, hot or cold.
* Twin-sump lubrication system separates the oil supply for the crankshaft, piston and valve train from the clutch and transmission. This ensures a cool supply of oil to the clutch, eliminates clutch and transmission material contamination of the engine oil and reduces the amount of circulating oil allowing the oil pump size to be reduced.
* Redesigned exhaust system incorporates a left-side cylinder head exhaust port, increasing header length and allows muffler to be positioned closer to center of mass, contributing to significantly improved weight distribution and handling.
* Gear-driven balancer reduces vibration and drives the water pump.
* New mechanical water pump seal improves durability.
* Coolant flow rerouted outside engine cases via bolt-on flange/jacket, allowing reduction of crankcase and cylinder width, and overall weight.
* Oil pump strainer now built into the engine case to reduce parts and weight.
* Eight clutch plates handle the engine’s massive torque while the number of clutch springs is reduced from 6 to 4. This reduces centrifugal weight, allowing the engine rev quicker.
* Kashima coating applied to the clutch basket, clutch center and pressure plate improve clutch life and clutch feel.
* Numerous transmission modifications narrow transmission width and reduce weight without sacrificing durability.
* Fifth-generation Twin-Spar Aluminum Frame with forged-aluminum steering head is now 14 ounces lighter than previous design. Spar height was reduced (70 to 66mm) and width was narrowed (27 to 26mm). Stronger downtubes improve front-end feel.
* Steering response and overall handling were improved by moving steering head pipe back 10mm (and closer to swingarm pivot).. Positioning the front wheel 15mm farther back and closer to crankshaft.
* Swingarm is 18mm longer for improved traction.
* Frame, steering head and swingarm modifications permit a reduction in triple clamp offset (22 to 20mm).
* Swingarm cross-member wall thickness was reduced (3.75 to 3.0mm) to save weight.
* Forged swingarm pivot plates increase rigidity for improved handling.
* Lower engine frame rails are widened and beveled to provide added cornering clearance.
* Removable rear subframe was redesigned to eliminate brackets and cross-members. Shape altered to improved air filter access and narrow the bike profile.
* Honda Progressive Steering Damper (HPSD) revalved for more linear damping. HPSD features a compact damper attached to the lower triple clamp and the steering head to allow more aggressive steering characteristics and assist straight-line handling. Damping action smoothly progresses as handlebar deflection increases, which produces very natural steering characteristics and feel.
* Front and rear wheels feature HRC works-type lightweight aluminum spoke nipples.
* Front wheel featuring new stiffer axle collar provides excellent rigidity.
* Rear axle diameter of 25mm and large-diameter bearings provide additional rigidity. Axle wall thickness reduced (2.5 to 2.2mm) to save weight (38 grams) while axle collar is strengthened for better rigidity.
* Revised, sophisticated Inverted Air-Oil-Separated (AOS) fork features exclusive Honda 48mm diameter fork made by Kayaba with all-new damping and spring settings.
* Pro-Link Rear Suspension features exclusive Kayaba integrated reservoir with all-new damping and spring settings.
* Large 50mm rear shock damper piston diameter for consistent performance under demanding riding conditions.
* HRC works-style rear brake system integrates the rear master-cylinder and fluid reservoir, eliminating the separate reservoir and hose.
* Link-type front brake master cylinder and a lightweight brake rotor provide strong braking.
* Re-shaped works style 240mm front brake rotor is 1.3 ounces lighter. Front disc guard is smaller, lighter and vented.
* 240mm rear brake rotor features works style pattern and is 1 ounce lighter. New plastic disc guard saves 4 grams of weight.
* Honda First: Engine stop switch features an integrated LED pre-ride check indicator with EFI diagnostic capability to ensure CRF450R is operating at maximum capacity.
* New grey color magnesium head cover, clutch cover and left side cover.
* Clutch cover profile reshaped for improved foot placement.
* Left side oil check dip-stick replaces sight glass.
* Redesigned higher-capacity airbox improves filter access.
* New sidecover shape is narrower and improves flow to airbox.
* Redesigned radiator shrouds are narrowed to aid rider movement.
* Kickstarter arm reshaped to reduce weight.
* Seat base redesigned to reduce overall height and width while maintaining foam thickness.
* New handgrips are 3 mm longer and feature a softer compound and wire grooves.
* Front and rear fenders redesigned with greater rigidity; rear fender design helps prevent mud and debris from gathering on muffler.
* Removable engine mounts allow easier engine removal.
* Narrower engine allows right-side engine guard to be eliminated, saving weight.
* New fuel tank tether eliminates need to disconnect fuel line to work on top end.
* Rider ergonomics are optimized by adapting the handlebar, seat and footpeg height to place the rider’s legs at the narrowest part of the frame for improved comfort and handling feel.
* Lightweight aluminum brake pedal and shift lever are designed to complement new ergonomics.
* Fuel cap height is shorter, allowing rider to move farther forward on the tank.
* Brake pedal features optimized ratio to match integrated rear-brake master-cylinder design.
* Wide, cleated stainless steel footpegs provide excellent grip and are self-cleaning and corrosion resistant.
* Adjustable front brake lever for improved control.
* Quick-adjust clutch perch for easy cable adjustment.
* Aluminum Renthal handlebar (971 bend) is rubber-mounted to help reduce rider fatigue and improve comfort.
* Handlebar holders provide two different mounting positions to match rider preference.
* New handlebar grips add to rider comfort.
* Dunlop 742FA front and a new 120/80-19 D756 rear tires maximize traction.
* Washable, two-stage foam air filter for optimal engine protection and easy maintenance.
* Repackable silencer for maximum performance and minimal noise.
* Comfortable, durable controls and high-quality fasteners.
* Stainless steel clutch cable for long life.
* Honda Racing™-inspired colors and graphics.
* When you buy a new Honda Powersports Product, you may be eligible to receive a complimentary one year membership in the Honda Riders Club of America, which includes an exclusive Members-only magazine, rider training benefits, access to the Members-only Clubhouse website and much more. Some limitations apply. For more information on the HRCA, log on to www.hrca.honda.com.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.