2009 Mazda Vehicles At A Glance
MAZDA6 Sports Sedan
The 2009 MAZDA6 is all new, and built specifically for the North American market. Lessons learned from the first MAZDA6 and Mazda’s newer successful vehicles - especially the Mazda CX-7 and award-winning CX-9 - encouraged a clean-sheet approach to building the best mid-size sports sedan the US market has ever experienced. All efforts have been focused on a single four-door sedan bodystyle offered in two basic series: the MAZDA6 i powered by a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine and the MAZDA6 s powered by a 3.7-liter V-6. The lineup also includes a comprehensive choice of equipment levels, interior colors and distinct interior trims.
Compared to the original MAZDA6, the new edition rides on a 4.5-inch longer wheelbase (109.8-in) with wider front and rear track. Overall length is greater by 6.1 inches and width rises by 2.3 inches. Trunk volume has been increased by nearly 10 percent. This larger package not only facilitates increases in every significant interior measurement, it moves the MAZDA6 from the bottom to the top of the mid-size class as defined by SAE and EPA volume measures.
The new powertrains rise to the task of moving the new MAZDA6 with authority. The MAZDA6 i’s new 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine has 170-horsepower while the new MAZDA6 s’s 3.7-liter V6 produces a rousing 272 horsepower. Along with output gains ranging from nine to 28 percent, fuel economy also rises.
Highlights of the 2009 MAZDA6:
* Exterior and interior design that is bold and exquisite
* New 6-speed manual gear box is standard in the MAZDA6 i
* Touring and Grand Touring models feature advanced keyless entry that automatically unlocks the doors upon approach and enables push-button starting
* Available Blind Spot Monitoring System, rain sensing wipers and Bluetooth® audio & phone
Mazda’s CX-9 is one of the most award-winning vehicles in the automotive industry. The three-row, seven-passenger crossover SUV is the reigning North American Truck of the Year and the Motor Trend Sport/Utility of the Year.
In addition to a long list of awards, CX-9 has also received the top rating of 5-stars in frontal and side impact crashes from the US government’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) vehicle safety tests and a top rating of Good from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) for front and side crash protection.
CX-9 deftly blends sporty driving spirit with seven-passenger sport-utility vehicle (SUV) practicality. CX-9 is powered by a 273-horsepower 3.7-liter V6 engine and features standard Roll Stability Control and an available advanced Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM) system, which helps see and prevent the unexpected. Also new to the CX-9 is the Mazda accessory Dockable DVD Rear Seat Entertainment System (DES) for Moonroof equipped vehicles, which provides endless enjoyment, truly enhancing the driving experience of the passengers and driver alike.
Highlights of the 2009 CX-9 include:
* Standard six-speed Sport A/T automatic transmission, which provides optimum acceleration and passing performance coupled with excellent highway fuel efficiency
* Available front-wheel drive or Mazda’s Active Torque Split all-wheel drive system
* Stiff unibody chassis provides a sound foundation for a poised ride and agile handling
* Sophisticated appearance with rising belt line, bold wheel and tire emphasis and steeply angled windshield and backlight
* Elegantly configured interior constructed with top-quality materials
* Available BOSE® premium sound system with 10 speakers in a CENTERPOINT® surround system; Available ceiling-mounted rear seat entertainment DVD system; Available DVD-based navigation system with 7-inch touch-sensitive display screen and backup camera and Power Lift Gate
* Standard Roll Stability Control (RSC), which uses both body-roll rate and wheel speed sensors to determine when corrective action is necessary
* Standard side-curtain air bags which protect outboard passengers in all three seating rows
New or enhanced for 2009:
* Trip computer standard on all models
* Bluetooth phone capability added to Sport model
* Sirius satellite radio added to Moonroof, BOSE® Audio Package and Rear Seat Entertainment System Package
* Auto-dimming rearview mirror with Homelink® added to Grand Touring model
* Heated seats and heated outside mirrors added to Sport Power Seat Package
* Trailer tow preparation standard on AWD
CX-7 is a highly styled crossover SUV with a decided soul of a sportscar. Produced entirely on Mazda-derived platform architecture, the five-passenger CX-7 embodies an astute blend of sports car verve and SUV practicality, resulting in a fun-to-drive SUV that represents everything a Mazda should be.
Prominent front fenders, A-pillars rooted at the body’s leading edge, a sharply raked windshield and Mazda’s signature five-pointed grille clearly register this new model as a Mazda. CX-7 is fitted with a turbocharged and intercooled 2.3-liter four-cylinder direct-injection gasoline engine similar to that fitted to the MAZDASPEED3, but produces up to 244 horsepower in this application. Mazda CX-7 delivers an estimated 23 mpg in combined driving on Regular Unleaded fuel (for maximum performance, premium fuel recommended).
Inside, the CX-7 is sporty with a high degree of craftsmanship. To draw drivers inside, there’s a three-dial instrument cluster, a console supporting the shifter within close reach, three-spoke steering wheel and firmly contoured front bucket seats, all provided with a high quality feel.
Highlights of the 2009 CX-7 include:
* Turbocharged and intercooled 2.3-liter four-cylinder direct-injection spark-ignition (DISI) engine producing 244 horsepower and 258 lb-ft torque
* Six-speed Sport A/T automatic transmission with manual mode
* Independent rear multi-link suspension with stabilizer bar
* 18-inch alloy wheels with 235/60R18 all-season tires
* Efficient aerodynamics with best-in-class performance for coefficient of drag
* Power windows with one-touch open/close on front windows, power locks and keyless entry with retractable key
* Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) with Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD), Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) and Traction Control System (TCS)
* Standard front side-impact air bags and side air curtains (front and rear) with roll-over protection
New or enhanced for 2009:
* Auto-dimming rearview mirror with Homelink® and finishing improvements on Grand Touring model
* Side turn signals integrated into the exterior mirror housings on the Grand Touring Model
* Bluetooth hands free and SIRIUS satellite radio added to the 1MC and 1TE packages
* Dual heated front seats with power driver seat now available on Sport Model
* MP3 capability
* Auxiliary audio input jack
* Leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob on Sport model
* Dual illuminated vanity mirrors
The MAZDA5 is a three-row, six-passenger multi-activity vehicle infused with sports car inspiration that efficiently transports people and equipment like a large SUV.
5 demonstrates Mazda’s infusion of stylish, insightful and spirited vehicles. Last year MAZDA5 was revamped with a freshened exterior design, five-speed automatic transmission, rear cool air vents, improved gas mileage, arm rests, standard auxiliary audio input jack, and new interior and exterior colors. The 2009 MAZDA5 continues to offer customers excellent value and fuel economy and an abundance of standard features in Sport, Touring and Grand Touring versions.
The MAZDA5 is powered by an all-aluminum 2.3-liter, four-cylinder MZR series engine, producing 153 horsepower and 148 lb-ft of torque, shared with the popular MAZDA3. A flowing wedge-shaped body with solid proportions defines the exterior of the MAZDA5 as unmistakably Mazda, while inside the cabin, the MAZDA5 offers a flexible seating arrangement. The MAZDA5’s large sliding doors and low floor allow for fluid ingress and egress, and a one-touch walk-in mechanism offers easy access to the third-row seats.
Highlights of the 2009 MAZDA5 include:
* Standard 17-inch alloy wheels
* Great fuel mileage – 22/28 (5-speed manual) and 21/27 (5-speed automatic) city/highway
* Standard auxiliary audio input jack
* LED taillights (Touring and Grand Touring)
* Sirius satellite radio-compatible audio system
* Electroluminescent gauges
* Dual-sliding rear doors for easy ingress and egress to the 2nd and 3rd rows
* Advanced dual front air bags, front seat side air bags and three-row side curtain air bags
New or enhanced for 2009:
* New Liquid Silver exterior color to replace Sunlight Silver (late availability)
* Sand interior color now available with Stormy Blue and Brilliant Black exterior colors
MAZDA3 4-Door and 5-Door and MAZDASPEED3
The perfect sedan for an active lifestyle, the 2009 MAZDA3 delivers a total driving experience far greater than its price tag would have buyers believe. Offering European sophistication, high-performance and advanced technology, the MAZDA3 is a leader in the compact sedan segment and Mazda’s best selling vehicle.
MAZDA3 5-Door is a sporty hatchback with design flair targeted to appeal to a youthful mindset. Fitted with a 2.3-liter, 156-horsepower MZR engine – the same as found in MAZDA3 4-Door s and MAZDA5 – MAZDA3 5-Door comes standard with a sport package that includes stylish front and rear bumpers, side-skirts, 17-inch alloy wheels, front fog lamps and unique taillights.
Highlights carried over from 2008 mid-year models include:
* Standard ABS/SAB/SAC (i Touring Value model)
* 17-inch alloy wheels (standard on i Touring Value model)
* Fog lights (standard on i Touring Value model)
* Standard power driver seat (s Grand Touring 4- and 5-door models)
* Four new exterior colors – Metropolitan Gray, Stormy Blue, Copper Red and Golden Sand
* Aurora Blue, Shimmering Sand, Phantom Purple, Rally White, Phantom Blue and Cosmic Blue have been deleted
New or enhanced for 2009:
* MAZDA3 i Sport model receives standard SAC/SAB/ABS
* Remote trunk release function added to key fob of 4-Door models equipped with keyless entry (i Touring Value and all 4-Door models)
* Icy Blue exterior color has been deleted
Launched in 2003, the Mazda RX-8 hit the global market with a serious bang. The RX-8 has won 52 global awards since its release including 2003 Japanese Car of the Year, Australia’s Wheels magazine’s Car of the Year for 2003, 2003 International Engine of the Year, 2004 Singapore Car of the Year, the 2004 U.S. Best Sports Car and UK Car of the Year 2004. It was also named on Car and Driver magazine’s Ten Best list for 2004, 2005, and 2006. All together, Mazda has sold nearly 158,000 RX-8s around the world.
For 2009, Mazda will further the evolution of the four-door, four-seater sports coupe, giving RX-8 a refreshed exterior and interior design, enhanced performance and a new R3 sport model for the ultimate driving enthusiast.
Unchanged is the core of the RX-8 – a high-powered, lightweight and perfectly balanced machine powered by the world-renowned twin-rotor RENESIS rotary engine.
New or enhanced for 2009:
* Exterior refinements include restyled front and rear bumpers and front fascia, sporty, high-quality finish front and rear headlights and larger exhaust pipes (90 mm)
* New five-spoke wheel design featuring a symbolic and sporty design in the motif of a rotary engine with different arrangements for each wheel size
* Improved body rigidity with structural reinforcements, the rear suspension geometry has been reconfigured for better handling performance and driveshaft rigidity is improved
* Final gear ratio changes on the manual transmission from 4.444 to 4.777 for improved performance
* New RX-8 R3 model adds a sport-tuned suspension with Bilstein shock absorbers and front suspension crossmembers filled with urethane foam for better ride comfort, rear spoiler, side sills, fog lights, xenon HID headlights and sporty front bumper are added to give a sporty appearance along with 19-inch forged aluminum-alloy wheels with high performance tires
* Inside, the R3 model features a 300-watt Bose® audio system with Centerpoint surround sound and AudioPilot® noise compensation technology, Bluetooth hands-free phone system, front Recaro sport seats with leather side bolsters, leather-wrapped parking brake and Mazda advanced keyless entry and start system
MX-5 Miata and Power Retractable Hard Top (PRHT)
Information for the 2009 MX-5 Miata will be available at a later date.
Completely redesigned both inside and out for 2008, the Mazda Tribute makes a powerful statement with a bold, tough exterior and an upscale, comfortable interior. Offering more traditional sport-utility vehicle (SUV) styling than Mazda’s other SUVs, CX-7 and CX-9, the 2009 Tribute rounds out the Mazda family of unibody-based crossover SUVs, making it the perfect choice for buyers in search of traditional, go-anywhere rugged styling.
New or enhanced for 2009:
* New 2.5L iVTC 4 cylinder engine with 171 horsepower and 171 lb-ft of torque
* Improved 3.0L V6 engine with 240 horsepower and 223 lb-ft of torque
* New 6 speed automatic transmission
* Three new exterior colors – White Suede, Brilliant Silver, and Sport Blue
* Satellite radio on Grand Touring
* Steering wheel audio controls on Touring and Grand Touring
* Redesigned front and rear seats
* Electrochromatic rearview mirror (Grand Touring)
* One-touch open/close moonroof (Grand Touring)
* Easy Fuel capless fueling system
* Automatic on/off headlamps
The Tribute Hybrid Electric Vehicle is a “full” hybrid, capable of running on 100 percent electric power up to approximately 25 mph – maximizing in-city fuel economy and making it one of the least-polluting vehicles sold.
Equipped with standard front-wheel-drive or optional electronic four-wheel-drive, Tribute HEV is available in two trim levels, Touring or Grand Touring. Mirroring design cues shared by its gasoline-powered sibling, Tribute HEV offers a bold, rugged exterior set off by 16-inch alloy wheels and new front and rear fascias, hood, liftgate, body-side molding, power side view mirrors, headlamps, taillamps and standard fog lights.
Highlights of the 2009 Tribute HEV include:
* A new 2.5-liter four-cylinder gasoline engine features Atkinson-cycle combustion for improved efficiency and produces 153 horsepower at 6,000 rpm. At speeds over 25 mph, when maximum acceleration is desired, the 70-kWatt (equivalent to 94 horsepower) electric traction motor also provides an added boost to the drive wheels.
* A generator-motor recharges the batteries, starts the engine and helps regulate how the two propulsion channels blend together in the transaxle.
* A special electronically controlled, continuously variable transmission (eCVT) harnesses internal combustion and electric power sources to drive the vehicle.
* A 330-volt nickel-metal-hydride battery pack located and sealed at the rear load floor stores electrical energy.
* An electronic vehicle system controller manages charging, drive assist and engine-starting functions. This device shuts the engine down during coasting and at stoplights to save fuel. It also converts the traction motor into a generator during braking to help recharge the batteries.
* Two available trim levels – Touring and Grand Touring
* Four exterior color choices – Monterey Gray, Kiwi Green, Brilliant Silver and Blue Spark
New or enhanced for 2009:
* New 2.5L 4 cylinder Atkinson cycle engine
* Power-assisted ventilated front disc/rear drum brakes
* Automatic on/off headlights
* Standard satellite radio
* Steering wheel audio controls
* Dynamic Stability Control, Roll Stability Control and Traction Control System
The B-Series remains Mazda’s rough and rugged compact pickup truck. For 2009, the B-Series truck is available in two models – a regular cab equipped with a 2.3-liter I-4(B2300) engine and a 4x4 Cab Plus equipped with a 4.0-liter V6 (B4000) engine. Both versions are available with either a five-speed manual or five-speed automatic transmission. The 2009 B-Series Truck remains largely unchanged. To better meet customer demands, the high-end B4000 Cab Plus SE model will be discontinued in the U.S. market.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.