Dell Growth Outpaces Market
* IDC Q1 Data Shows Dell Topped Worldwide Industry Growth In Nearly All Major PC Segments
* Dell Leads All Commercial PC Segment Categories in U.S.
Dellís focused execution enabled the company to grow worldwide PC unit shipments in the calendar first quarter of 2008 more than 1.4 times faster than the overall market growth rate, according to IDCís Worldwide Quarterly PC Tracker.
According to IDC1, Dell recorded a 21.3 percent growth in worldwide PC shipments in the quarter, compared to 14.9 percent growth for the industry. In major segments, Dell regained or maintained leadership in the following:
* Education, for the 32nd consecutive quarter;
* Government, for the 30th consecutive quarter;
* Very Large Business, for the 37th consecutive quarter;
* Large Business, for the 33rd consecutive quarter; and,
* Regained leadership in Medium Business in 1Q08.
In the United States the company grew by 15.6% - more than three times faster than market growth of 4.6% and gained or maintained leadership in all commercial categories including:
* Education, for the 35th consecutive quarter;
* Government, for the 34th consecutive quarter;
* Very Large business, for the 37th consecutive quarter;
* Large Business, for the 35th consecutive quarter;
* Medium and Small Business, for the 40th consecutive quarter; and,
* Gained leadership in Small Office in 1Q08.
Company Gains Share in First Quarter Across All Major Product Categories and Regions
Dellís focus on the enterprise Ė a Dell strategic priority Ė resulted in the company increasing x86 server shipments in the calendar first quarter at 1.8 times the industry growth rate to gain 2 points of global unit share from Q4 2007. Additionally, according to Gartner Inc.2, Dell sold more iSCSI ECB storage controllers than any other vendor in 2007.
In notebooks, another of Dellís strategic priorities, the company grew commercial unit shipments 35 percent year on year, gaining 1.1 points of share worldwide from Q4 2007 to Q1 2008, according to IDC.
Dellís Global Consumer business grew units at more than two times the industry rate year on year and increased it share in the United States by almost 6 percentage points from a year ago to 22.1 percent, according to IDC. Worldwide, Dell gained 1.2 points of share year on year in the first calendar quarter.
Dell grew units at almost triple the industry growth rate according to IDC in BRIC countries Ė Brazil, Russia, India and China.
In Small and Medium Business, another Dell strategic priority, Dell unit shipments to the segment grew in the double-digits Ė 20.5 percent worldwide and 11.5 percent in the United States -- year on year. Dell has led the SMB category in the U.S. for 10 consecutive years, according to IDC.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.