Clean Homes are Healthy Homes for Asthma and Allergy Sufferers
SC Johnson Offers Tips for Reducing Indoor Allergens and Asthma Triggers
Racine, Wis.– The one out of four Americans who are affected by asthma and allergies1 can control symptoms by cleaning their homes to ward away common disease triggers. In recognition of World Asthma Day (May 6), SC Johnson gives advice for ridding homes of irritants and allergens that can cause a dangerous asthma attack or worsen allergy symptoms.
“Many American families are struggling to keep asthma and allergy symptoms under control so they can fully enjoy their lives,” says Kelly Semrau, vice president of Global Public Affairs and Communication for SC Johnson. “As a family company, we’re committed to helping people understand how our products may be able to help them lead healthier and happier lives.”
Asthma and allergies can be managed with medicine and avoidance of triggers such as dust mites, mold, cockroaches, tobacco smoke, pollen and pet dander. SC Johnson recommends these simple steps families can take to help combat the indoor triggers of these diseases:
• Control cockroaches. Cockroaches are an asthma trigger. Dead cockroaches and cockroach droppings contain allergens that can provoke asthma attacks. Raid® Roach Bates keeps killing bugs for up to four weeks. To prevent future roach problems, remember exposed food attracts them. Use Ziploc® bags and containers to protect leftover food and make sure garbage cans have lids.
• Banish dust mites. Dust mites are microscopic spiders usually found in large quantities in house dust. With an estimated 40,000 dust mites in an ounce of dust, clean up surface dust as often as possible using a product like Pledge® with Allergen Trappers™.
• Combat mold. When humidity is high, mold can be a problem in bathrooms, kitchens, and basements. Make sure these areas have good air circulation and are cleaned often. Keep a dehumidifier in the basement to reduce moisture from leaks or flooding. Run a fan for at least 20 minutes after showers or baths to vent warm, moist air.
• Attack the germs. Colds and flu can increase allergy attacks and worsen allergies. Help keep these at bay by using Oust® Surface Disinfectant & Air Sanitizer which kills 99.9 percent of germs and viruses on hard, non-porous surfaces.
• Protect linens from allergens. Sheets, pillows and fabric curtains can harbor dust mites, mold and other allergens. Use airtight, antibacterial mattress and pillow covers and wash all linens weekly in hot water.
Millions of families must deal with the sometimes-debilitating symptoms of asthma and allergies. By keeping their homes clean and ridding them of common triggers of asthma and allergy attacks, they can more fully enjoy their everyday activities.
A Commitment to Healthy Homes
SC Johnson is committed to educating families on the use of cleaning and pest control products to help reduce the triggers of asthma and allergies in the home. With cockroaches as one of the greatest indoor triggers of asthma, SC Johnson’s Raid® brand led a community asthma awareness program reaching families through schools, churches and other neighborhood gathering places in Miami, Kansas City, Chicago and Los Angeles.
From Our Family to Yours
For more than a century, spanning five generations, the SC Johnson family has demanded the best for families everywhere. SC Johnson’s innovative products such as Windex®, Raid®, Ziploc®, Pledge®, and Scrubbing Bubbles® make life easier and homes cleaner, safer and healthier.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.