CHICAGO: Most Tax procrastinating city in AMERICA
TurboTax Releases Its Seventh Annual List Of Top 10 Tax Procrastinating Cities; Chicago Takes The Top Spot For The First Time Ever
With the tax deadline of April 15 right around the corner, Intuit (NASDAQ: INTU), the maker of TurboTax® products, again tallied last-minute online tax filings to find out which American cities are the biggest procrastinators when it comes to filing federal income tax returns.
The following list includes the TOP 10 TAC PPROCRASTINATING CITIES IN AMERICA determined by the number of tax returns electronically filed online via the TurboTax Online service from April 14-April 17, 2007 (previous year ranking in parenthesis):
1. Chicago, Ill. – (#2) – Chicago is the “Second City” no more as it takes the top spot for the first time in the seven years the list has been compiled.
2. New York, N.Y. – (#5) – After procrastinating less last year, the hustle and bustle of the Big Apple takes its toll on taxpayers as NYC climbs back up the list to rank at Number 2. The Giants may be number one in pro football, but New York is second on our list of late filers.
3. Houston, Texas – (#1) – Houstonians have topped our list more than any other city (three times) but must have tired of being the top procrastinators. Progress is progress and Houstonians drop two spots this year.
4. Austin, Texas – (#4) – Austin continues to procrastinate as they lock up the fourth spot for the second straight year. One of the fastest growing cities in America, Austin may be too busy to worry about taxes until the deadline forces them to.
5. San Francisco, Calif. – (#5) – The City by the Bay held steady in the fifth slot for the second straight year. In a year that saw the home run record fall to Barry Bonds, taxpayers in San Francisco waited until they had a full count to take a swing at doing their taxes.
6. San Diego, Calif. – (#6) – The home of the 2008 U.S. Open, and home to TurboTax, San Diego dropped to sixth last year and is there yet again. After topping the list two years ago, San Diegans are relaxed in the sixth place.
7. Seattle, Wash. – (#8) – Grunge may have gone the way of disco, but Seattle residents continue to live a laid back lifestyle and are still late with filing their tax returns. The Emerald City jumps one spot this year.
8. Las Vegas, Nev. – (#11) – Making its return to the list after a two-year absence is the jewel of southern Nevada, Las Vegas.
9. San Antonio, Texas – (#7) – Settled first in 1731, San Antonio ranks as one of America’s oldest cities. Despite its age, the home of the Alamo is steeped in today as its residents use the power of online tax prep to file at the last minute.
10. Los Angeles, Calif. – (#12) – Apparently Los Angelinos were busy chasing Britney Spears all over town and waited until the deadline to file their taxes. At least they didn’t let the forlorn Britney file their taxes for them.
Dropped Out: San Jose, Calif.; Phoenix, Ariz.
Procrastinating Cities Fast Facts:
* California and Texas tied for the lead on the list with the most cities totaling three each.
* Eight of the top 10 cities are west of the Mississippi River.
Extended List 11-20
* 11. Dallas, Texas
* 12. San Jose, Calif.
* 13. Phoenix, Ariz.
* 14. Brooklyn, N.Y.
* 15. Denver, Col.
* 16. Atlanta, Ga.
* 17. Washington, D.C.
* 18. Portland, Ore.
* 19. Orlando, Fla.
* 20. Jacksonville, Fla.
While the residents of these Top 10 cities may be “tax procrastinators,” they’ve also learned what millions of Americans learn every year – preparing and filing taxes online using the TurboTax Online service is fast, easy and convenient. Why wait in line for hours at the tax store or local post office when you can file your last-minute tax return from the comfort of your own home? Visit www.turbotax.com to prepare and file your taxes – even if it’s at the last minute!
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.