Epson Announces New ATA Controller LSI for Built-In Hard Disk Drives
Seiko Epson Corp. (“Epson”) today announced that it has developed the S1R72H74, a new ATA controller LSI which is ideally suited for use in products with built-in hard disk drives. Shipment of samples began this month.
Epson already offers two popular controller LSI products–the S1R72V03 and the S1R72V05–which combine high-speed USB 2.0 and ATA functions. The new S1R72H74 ATA controller LSI supports and specializes in ATA/ATAPI-6 and is geared toward built-in devices. It also supports a guaranteed operating temperature range from -40°C to 85°C.
With the S1R72H74, data can be transmitted back and forth between the main CPU and the hard disk. The package, pin configuration, and software are all compatible* with the S1R72V03, a single-chip product combining high-speed USB 2.0 device and ATA controller functions which is already being produced for the volume market. As a result, the S1R72H74 allows continued use of existing resources such as boards and software provided they have a USB function. Support for vehicle installation quality is also planned, making it an ideal choice for automobile navigation systems with built-in hard disks.
Epson is striving to develop new products that are compatible with the Serial ATA hard disk drive interface, which is being increasingly used in built-in devices as well as computers, and the CE-ATA small hard disk drive interface, for which rising demand is expected in the mobile terminal segment. Epson also plans to continue expanding its lineup of interface LSI products geared toward built-in devices.
* Except the USB function for S1R72V03.
1) CPU Interface
* Compatible with 16-bit and 8-bit general CPU interface
* Includes DMA 2-channel (Multiword procedure)
* Big-Endian (Includes bus swap function for supporting Little-Endian CPUs)
* Voltage change of interface is possible (1.8 V or 3.3 V)
2) IDE Interface
* Compatible with ATA/ATAPI-6
* PIO mode 0-4, Multiword DMA, UDMA mode 0-5
* Clock input: 12 MHz, 24 MHz, crystal oscillator compatibility (1 MΩ internal feedback resistor and oscillator circuit). (Epson Toyocom’s FA-128 is recommended.)
* Power supply voltage: Three voltage systems: 1.8 V/3.3 V (CPU I/F), 3.3 V (IDE I/F), and 1.8 V (core)
* Package: QFP 128-pin (14 mm x 14 mm, 0.4 mm pitch, S1R72H74F15E100) Package and pin configuration are compatible with S1R72V03F00A200. (Except the USB function for S1R72V03.)
* Operating temperature range: -40°C to 85°C
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.