BP to Sell Two Chemicals Businesses Based at Hull
BP announced today its intention to sell its ethyl acetate (ETAC) and vinyl acetate monomer (VAM) manufacturing units at Saltend, near Hull, UK, and the associated commercial businesses. The decision follows a review which concluded that the Saltend site would focus on its existing acetic acid and acetic anhydride businesses. In addition, BP is proposing to relocate all commercial roles in the European region of its acetyls business from its offices in Sunbury-on-Thames, Middlesex to the Saltend site. The proposed move is expected to create more than 30 commercial roles at the Saltend Site which is the largest producer of acetic acid in Europe. Guy Moeyens, the Business Unit Leader of BP Acetyls said “We are committed to supplying acetic acid to customers around the world. We will continue to develop world class technology in acetic acid and acetic anhydride using our research and manufacturing facilities at Saltend. We will ensure that our staff, customers, suppliers and contractors are kept informed of developments”
Notes for editors:
* Vinyl acetate monomer (VAM) is used in paints, adhesives, floor coverings and clothing. Ethyl acetate (ETAC) is used in printing inks, glues, paints, packaging, cosmetics and pharmaceuticals.
* BP Saltend produces about 600,000 tonnes of acetic acid per year, the largest manufacturer in Europe; and about 150,000 tonnes of acetic anhydride per year. Acetic acid is used in VAM, PTA esters and other intermediates and acetic anhydride is used in cellulose acetate and chemical derivatives.
* ETAC and VAM are manufactured from acetic acid and ethylene using technology developed by BP’s research laboratories at Saltend.
* Globally, BP and its joint ventures produce around 2,900,000 tonnes of acetic acid, 150,000 tonnes or acetic anhydride, 400,000 tonnes of VAM; and 300,000 tonnes of ETAC.
* Around 400 people are employed on the manufacturing site at Saltend with a further 185 employed in the research and technology centre.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.