Rogers Wireless and RIM Introduce the BlackBerry Pearl in Canada
Toronto and Waterloo, ON - Rogers Wireless (TSX: RCI; NYSE: RG) and Research In Motion (RIM) (Nasdaq: RIMM; TSX: RIM) today announced plans to launch the new BlackBerry® Pearl™, one of the world’s smallest and lightest smartphones. Weighing in at just 3.1 ounces and measuring a mere 4.2” x 1.97” x .57”, it packs the full power of the BlackBerry experience together with an impressive range of new features.
In addition to supporting phone, email, messaging, organizer, web browser and other mobile applications, the BlackBerry Pearl is also the first BlackBerry handset to incorporate a digital camera, MP3 player, video player and an expandable memory slot.
“As Canada’s leading wireless carrier and data leader, Rogers Wireless is pleased to be the first to introduce the new BlackBerry Pearl in Canada,” said John Boynton, Senior Vice President & Chief Marketing Officer at Rogers Wireless. “Leveraging the popular and proven BlackBerry platform, the BlackBerry Pearl is the handset for everyone, combining the most advanced voice and data features with multi-media features such as a media player and camera together in a small and powerful smartphone.”
“RIM and Rogers have been working together on wireless technologies for nearly 20 years and it is extremely gratifying to jointly introduce another breakthrough product to the Canadian market,” said Mike Lazaridis, President and Co-CEO at Research In Motion. “We set out to address the demand from a growing number of consumers for an ultra sleek and stylish smartphone that can also deliver an uncompromising mobile voice, email and browsing experience. The innovative BlackBerry Pearl solidly hits the mark.”
The new BlackBerry Pearl from Rogers Wireless includes:
* 1.3 megapixel camera with 3 zoom levels (up to 5X) and built-in flash
* Multimedia player with stereo headset jack for MP3 and AAC music files, as well as MPEG4 and H.263 video formats
* The BlackBerry Pearl operates on Rogers Wireless’ GSM/GPRS/EDGE network allowing customers to use the quad-band BlackBerry Pearl while traveling overseas in over 180 countries*
* BlackBerry Internet Service™ - allows access to up to 10 personal and corporate email accounts, including most popular ISP email accounts
* High performance HTML browser for visiting your favourite web sites while on the go
* A newly enhanced version of RIM’s popular SureType™ keyboard technology that makes typing email, text and media messages quick and easy
* An enhanced incredibly intuitive user interface with an easy-to-use trackball, dedicated ’menu’ and ’escape’ keys, and context-sensitive menus that make navigation feel instinctive and fast
* Intuitive call management features such as smart dialing, conference calling, speed dialing, and call forwarding
* First-rate phone features with Speaker Independent Voice Recognition (SIVR) for Voice Activated Dialing (VAD), dedicated ’send’, ’end’, and ’mute’ keys, speakerphone, and Bluetooth® support for hands-free use with headsets, car kits and Bluetooth peripherals
* Rogers Wireless dedicated BlackBerry technical support in French and English at no additional charge
* Support for popular Instant Messaging (IM) applications such as Yahoo!® Messenger and Google Talk
* BlackBerry Maps – a new application which adds mapping to the BlackBerry Pearl. BlackBerry Maps works together with other BlackBerry applications enabling consumers to send maps via email and launch maps from other applications, including contacts in the address book
* Support for polyphonic, mp3 and MIDI ring tunes
* A large, ultra-bright 240x260 colour display that brings images to life
* An innovative light-sensing technology that automatically optimizes the screen, trackball and keyboard lighting for indoor, outdoor and dark environments
* 64MB built-in flash memory, expandable via MicroSD expansion slot
* BlackBerry Enterprise Server™ support – integrates with Microsoft® Exchange, IBM Lotus® Domino® and Novell GroupWise® environments and features a new set of IT policy controls for IT departments to administer camera and expansion memory settings.
The BlackBerry Pearl from Rogers Wireless is expected to be available in retail and business channels beginning October 2006.
About Research In Motion (RIM)
Research In Motion is a leading designer, manufacturer and marketer of innovative wireless solutions for the worldwide mobile communications market. Through the development of integrated hardware, software and services that support multiple wireless network standards, RIM provides platforms and solutions for seamless access to time-sensitive information including email, phone, SMS messaging, Internet and intranet-based applications. RIM technology also enables a broad array of third party developers and manufacturers to enhance their products and services with wireless connectivity to data. RIM’s portfolio of award-winning products, services and embedded technologies are used by thousands of organizations around the world and include the BlackBerry® wireless platform, the RIM Wireless Handheld™ product line, software development tools, radio-modems and software/hardware licensing agreements. Founded in 1984 and based in Waterloo, Ontario, RIM operates offices in North America, Europe and Asia Pacific. RIM is listed on the Nasdaq Stock Market (Nasdaq: RIMM) and the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: RIM). For more information, visit www.rim.com or www.blackberry.com.
About Rogers Wireless
Rogers Wireless Inc. is Canada’s largest wireless voice and data communications services provider with offices in Canadian cities across the country, more than 6.2 million customers, and two powerful brands: Rogers Wireless and Fido. Rogers Wireless, which operates Canada’s largest and clearest integrated wireless voice and data network, providing advanced voice and wireless data solutions to customers from coast to coast, is Canada’s only carrier operating on the GSM/GPRS technology platform, the world standard for wireless communications technology and the only technology that enables roaming around the world in over 180 countries. The company is a subsidiary of Rogers Communications Inc. (TSX: RCI; NYSE: RG), a diversified Canadian communications and media company. For further information, please visit www.rogers.com.
* Please check with Rogers Wireless for roaming services.
Forward-looking statements in this news release are made pursuant to the “safe harbor” provisions of the United States Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. When used herein, words such as “intend” and similar expressions are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are based on assumptions made by and information available to Research In Motion Limited. Investors are cautioned that such forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties. Important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward looking statements include, without limitation, possible product defects and product liability, risks related to international sales and potential foreign currency exchange fluctuations, the initiation or outcome of litigation, acts or potential acts of terrorism, international conflicts, significant fluctuations of quarterly operating results, changes in Canadian and foreign laws and regulations, continued acceptance of RIM’s products, increased levels of competition, technological changes and the successful development of new products, dependence on third-party networks to provide services, dependence on intellectual property rights and other risks and factors detailed from time to time in RIM’s periodic reports filed with the United States Securities and Exchange Commission, and other regulatory authorities. The Company has no intention or obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
The BlackBerry and RIM families of related marks, images and symbols are the exclusive properties and trademarks of Research In Motion Limited. RIM, Research In Motion and BlackBerry are registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and may be pending or registered in other countries. All other brands, product names, company names, trademarks and service marks are the properties of their respective owners.RIM assumes no liability and makes no representation, warranty or guarantee in relation to third party products or services.
- Contact Information
- Marisa Conway
- Brodeur Worldwide (for RIM)
- Contact via E-mail
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.