Microsoft Offers More Ways to Play Games for Windows and Xbox 360 at German Games Convention
Microsoft’s game platforms show unstoppable momentum.
LEIPZIG, Germany — Aug. 24, 2006 — At the opening of the show doors for the 2007 Games Convention in Leipzig, Germany, Microsoft Corp.’s booth was set to supply gamers with access to more than 130 playable game stations spanning more than 40 titles for Windows ® , Xbox 360™ and the premier online gaming service, Xbox Live ® . Attendees had a chance to try out upcoming releases that are poised to top the Xbox 360 and Xbox Live Arcade charts, such as “Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Double Agent™,” “Viva Pinata™” and “Texas Hold ’em,” as well as playing soon-to-be-released Windows games including “Flight Simulator X,” “Hellgate: London” and “Crysis™.” The show floor also provided playable action for numerous other titles from first- and third-party publishers:
• Games for Windows
• “Age of Empires ® III: The WarChiefs” (Microsoft Game Studios)
• “Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures” (Eidos Interactive Ltd.)
• “Broken Sword: The Angel of Death” (THQ Inc.)
• “Company of Heroes” (THQ)
• “Crysis” (developed by Crytek; published by EA)
• “Flight Simulator X” (Microsoft Game Studios)
• “Halo ® 2 for Windows Vista™” (Microsoft Game Studios)
• “Hellgate: London” (Namco Hometek Inc.)
• “LEGO ® Star Wars II™: The Original Trilogy” (LucasArts)
• “Lord of the Rings Online™: Shadows of Angmar™” (Turbine Inc.)
• “Rail Simulator” (Electronic Arts)
• “Zoo Tycoon ® 2: Marine Mania ® ” (Microsoft Game Studios)
• Xbox 360 and Xbox Live Arcade
• “Bomberman Act: Zero” (Konami Digital Entertainment Inc.)
• “Crackdown™” (Microsoft Game Studios)
• “F.E.A.R.” (Sierra Entertainment Inc.)
• “Fuzion Frenzy ® 2” (Microsoft)
• “Just Cause” (Eidos Interactive)
• “LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy” (LucasArts)
• “Lost Planet” (Capcom)
• “Marvel: Ultimate Alliance” (Activision)
• “Moto GP ’06” (THQ)
• “NBA 2K7” (Take 2)
• “Need for Speed™: Carbon” (EA)
• “NHL ® 07” (EA)
• “Ninety-Nine Nights™” (Microsoft)
• “Oblivion” (2K Games/Take 2)
• “Phantasy Star” (Sega)
• “Pro Evolution Soccer 6” (Konami)
• “Rockstar Games presents Table Tennis” (Rockstar Games)
• “Rumble Roses XX” (Konami)
• “Saints Row” (THQ)
• “Scramble ® ” (Konami)
• “Sonic the Hedgehog” (Sega)
• “Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Double Agent” (Ubisoft Entertainment)
• “Test Drive™ Unlimited” (Atari Inc.)
• “Texas Hold ’em” (Xbox Live Arcade, Microsoft)
• “Time Pilot ® ” (Konami)
• “TimeShift” (Sierra Entertainment Inc.)
• “Tony Hawk’s Project 8” (Activision)
• “UNO ® ” (Xbox Live Arcade for Xbox Live Vision camera, Microsoft)
• “Virtua Tennis 3” (Sega)
• “Viva Piñata” (Microsoft Game Studios)
The Windows Vista Games
By the time Microsoft ® Windows Vista is launched in early 2007, an impressive lineup of titles will be available for gamers looking to get next-generation features, including quicker installations and increased platform stability. In addition, Windows Vista will feature DirectX ® 10, which, combined with hardware provided by graphics processor creators, will result in the most graphically intense games experiences ever seen in a computer or video game. DirectX 10 games and video hardware will be available with the launch of Windows Vista.
Adding to what is one of the largest game libraries available for any gaming system, Microsoft announced two additional family-friendly titles optimized for Windows Vista, from first- and third-party publishers:
• “LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy” (LucasArts) is the sequel to the best-selling “LEGO Star Wars: The Video Game,” combining the fun and endless customization ability of the LEGO play pattern with the epic story, characters and action from the revolutionary “Star Wars.”
• “Zoo Tycoon 2: Marine Mania” (Microsoft Game Studios) , the latest expansion pack for the award-winning “Zoo Tycoon 2” franchise, allows gamers to turn their dream zoo into an aquatic extravaganza with 20 new marine animals and the ability to create extraordinary aquatic shows.
Xbox 360 and Xbox Live Arcade
The anticipated titles for Xbox 360 and Xbox Live Arcade continue to drive momentum and excitement worldwide for the next-generation gaming and entertainment system and add to the growing library of next-generation titles of approximately 160 titles by this holiday season.
Xbox 360 will be the only place players can experience the next generation of soccer games this holiday. “FIFA 07” from Electronic Arts will take you to the pitch with an all-new soccer engine and online technology allowing you to play with and follow your favorite teams from around the world. Also, Konami will bring “Pro Evolution Soccer 6” to Xbox 360, which will have gamers controlling their favorite teams in matches spanning the globe. Xbox 360 is the premier place to experience the best football games this holiday.
Xbox Live Arcade is also set to introduce the electronic versions of three of the top board games from Germany. “Settlers of Catan™,” “Carcassonne™” and “Alhambra™” are sure to be popular across continents.
• “Settlers of Catan.” This stunning take on one of the best-known board games around the globe will offer the whole family a chance to establish settlements on the island of Catan.
• “Carcassonne.” Designed for two to five players, “Carcassonne” is set in a medieval landscape made up of 72 tiles. Players start from a single tile and then draw from a pool of remaining tiles to create a growing landscape and gain points for ultimate victory.
• “Alhambra.” Expanded from the popular stock-market-themed game “Stimmt So!,” “Alhambra” provides an Arabian theme to the card-based game where players score points by drawing currency cards and building tiles to place next to their Alhambra.
“Xbox Live Arcade has brought developers a whole new way to produce games,” said Martyn Chudley, managing director of Bizarre Creations Ltd., the U.K.-based developer of “Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved,” the No. 1-selling title on Xbox Live Arcade to date. “Now developers of any size can bring downloadable-sized games to the public through an instantly-accessible marketplace. This ‘instant’ gaming is going to attract a whole new type of gamer to Xbox 360, and the ease of development will mean a wider variety of games on the market too.” Xbox Live Arcade is also set to continue to deliver amazing classics as well as original game titles. With more than 65 percent of all connected consoles already downloading and playing Xbox Live Arcade titles, gamers can access a regular schedule of new titles with the Xbox Live Arcade Wednesdays program. New and upcoming game titles set to debut on “Xbox Live Arcade Wednesdays” include these:
• “Texas Hold ’em” (Aug. 23). “Texas Hold ’em” offers multiplayer support for up to eight gamers, and three modes of gameplay: Standard Games, Scenarios and Tournaments. Gamers can enjoy poker night every night with friends, family and gamers around the world. Note: This title may not be available in some countries. Can be downloaded for 800 Microsoft Points.
• “Time Pilot” (Aug. 30). This futuristic fighter-pilot classic from Konami lets gamers fight through different eras as never before. High-definition graphics and enhanced gameplay designed specifically for Xbox Live Arcade make this version even better than the original from 1982. Can be downloaded for 400 Microsoft Points.
• “Scramble” (Sept. 6). The classic side-scrolling shoot-’em-up coin-op title from Konami takes off on Xbox Live Arcade. The 1981 classic is widely considered the first multilevel shooter. Can be downloaded for 400 Microsoft Points.
From Windows to Xbox 360, Microsoft and its industry partners are working across the globe to provide all types of gamers, from the hardcore to the casual, with a variety of great platforms and games.
About Games for Windows
Microsoft Windows is the most popular operating system in the world for games, delivering the widest range of titles, the most gaming hardware choices, and advanced gaming technology for players of all types. With Windows as the cornerstone, the Games for Windows platform offers publishers and gamers the most enjoyable and innovative gaming experiences available on a PC. More information can be found online at http://www.gamesforwindows.com .
About Xbox and Xbox 360
Microsoft revolutionized the gaming industry with the November 2001 launch of Xbox ® ( http://www.xbox.com ), its first-generation video game and entertainment system, now sold in 26 countries. Microsoft introduced its next-generation system, Xbox 360, in the 2005 holiday season in Europe, Japan and North America, and launched the system in Australia, Colombia, Hong Kong, Korea, Mexico, New Zealand, Singapore and Taiwan in 2006. Xbox 360 (http://www.xbox.com/xbox360) is the most powerful video game and entertainment system, delivering the best games, the next generation of the premier Xbox Live entertainment network, and unique digital entertainment experiences that revolve around gamers.
About Microsoft Game Studios
Microsoft Game Studios is a leading worldwide publisher and developer of games for the Xbox and Xbox 360 video game systems, the Windows operating system, and online platforms. Comprising a network of top developers, Microsoft Game Studios is committed to creating innovative and diverse games for Windows ( http://www.microsoft.com/games ), including such franchises as “Age of Empires,” “Flight Simulator” and “Zoo Tycoon”; Xbox and Xbox 360 ( http://www.xbox.com ), including such games as the upcoming “Gears of War” and franchises such as “Halo,” “Fable ® ,” “Project Gotham Racing ® ” and “Forza Motorsport™”; and MSN ® Games ( http://www.games.msn.com ), the official games channel for the MSN network and home to such hits as “Bejeweled” and “Hexic ® .”
About Xbox Live
Xbox Live is the first and only unified online entertainment network seamlessly integrated throughout the entire console experience, making it easy for people to find the friends, games and entertainment they want from the moment they power on their Xbox 360 system. Xbox Live connects millions of members across 24 countries to enjoy hundreds of multiplayer games, downloadable games via Xbox Live Arcade, free and premium playable game demos, music videos, and movie trailers, as well as new game levels, characters and vehicles for all their favorite retail games. More information can be found online at http://www.xbox.com/en-us/live .
Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq “MSFT”) is the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realize their full potential.
Note to editors: If you are interested in viewing additional information on Microsoft, please visit the Microsoft Web page at http://www.microsoft.com/presspass on Microsoft’s corporate information pages. Web links, telephone numbers and titles were correct at time of publication, but may since have changed. For additional assistance, journalists and analysts may contact Microsoft’s Rapid Response Team or other appropriate contacts listed at http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/contactpr.mspx .
- Contact Information
- Microsoft Corp.
- Contact via E-mail
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.