EMSL Analytical, Inc. Provides Testing for Pathogens Associated with Swimming
During the summer, people visit pools, lakes and rivers to find relief from the warm weather, however, many people are unaware that several environmental outbreaks have been caused by swimming. Numerous diseases that are spread via the fecal-oral route are transmitted in the summer months by swimming in contaminated water.
In addition, several pathogens linked to skin infections can also be transmitted during swimming. Not only may person-to-person illnesses be present, the aquatic environment itself is home to a number of pathogens, especially when the water is heated by the sun.
“A swimming pool or the swimming section of a lake is akin to sharing a bathtub with strangers where the water is never drained,” explains Diane Miskowski, MPH, Business Development Manager at EMSL Analytical, Inc. “While swimming pools should maintain proper chlorine levels, several pathogens are resistant to the chlorine levels that are present in pools.”
Some guidelines for safe swimming include:
- All people should shower before entering the water to decrease the amount of skin bacteria as well as bacteria present on the skin after a bowel movement
- Do not swim while having diarrhea
- Babies and toddlers who are not potty trained should wear special swimming diapers that will lessen (but not eliminate) fecal contamination of the water
- Persons having temporary skin rashes should not go in the water
- Contact lenses should never be worn while swimming
- Try not to get water up your nose or swallow water
- Wear goggles when seeing under water is needed
EMSL Analytical, Inc. offers culture testing of fecal indicator bacteria for recreational water as well as specialized testing for Cryptospridium, Giardia, Acanthamoeba, Naegleria fowlerii, P. aeruginosa, Enteroviruses, Salmonella, Shigella, and Legionella by PCR for rapid identification of pathogens. To learn more, please visit www.EMSL.com, call (800) 220-3675 or email info@EMSL.com .
About EMSL Analytical, Inc.
EMSL Analytical is a nationally recognized and locally focused provider of environmental, indoor air quality, consumer product and materials testing services and products for professionals and the general public. The company has an extensive list of accreditations from leading organizations as well as state and federal regulating bodies.
( Press Release Image: http://photos.webwire.com/prmedia/9645/188673/188673-1.jpg )
- Contact Information
- Joe Frasca
- Senior Vice President of Marketing
- EMSL Analytical, Inc.
- (1) (856) 303-2503
- Contact via E-mail
This news content may be integrated into any legitimate news gathering and publishing effort. Linking is permitted.