London and Scotland feature in the world’s ultimate adventures
Scotland is one of the best destinations in the world for adventure travel according to a new book by Lonely Planet. Scotland is featured in Lonely Planet’s brand new book, 1000 Ultimate Adventures which presents 100 top ten lists of adventure activities and destinations that are perfect for thrill seekers. Scotland features in no less than 20 of the 100 top ten lists. The country is heralded for its treks, mountains and festivals, making it one of the best destinations for active travellers and adrenaline junkies. The Borders are selected as one of the world’s top ‘Mountain Biking Meccas’ for the Seven Stanes’ “worldwide reputation for high quality, manmade, allweather trails,” whilst The West Highland Way’s “wild and precipitous mountains” place it in the ‘Best Treks with Killer Views’ list.
Walking London’s Thames Path has also been listed as one of the world’s ultimate adventures. The book lists the Thames Path as one of the top ten city hikes on the planet. The walk is described as “a London highlights reel” as it passes a number of London’s most iconic landmarks. London’s Tower 42 also features in the book as one of the ‘Best Tower Running Races,’ and London’s very own Underground themed fun run, The Underround, is listed as one of the world’s ‘Freakiest Foot Races.’
Curated by Lonely Planet’s team of travel experts, 1000 Ultimate Adventures includes the world’s most daring, exciting and breathtaking experiences in one ultimate collection, accompanied by stunning photography. There is a range of challenges to suit everyone from travellers looking for their first active trip up to hardcore adrenalin junkies. The book covers a variety of experiences, including sporting feats, waterborne thrills, climbing challenges and wildlife experiences.
Scottish destinations featured in the book:
- West Highland Way: Best Treks with Killer Views
- Speyside Way: Most Spirited Hiking and Biking
- Ice Climbing Scotland: For Pros Only – The Most Dangerous Adventures
- Munros: Mountain Quests
- Hebridean Challenge: Gotta be in it to win it: Best Races
- The Jacobite: Ultimate Train Rides
- Corryvreckan Whirlpool: Wildest Swims in the World
- Loch Ness Marathon: Mind Blowing Marathons
- Fort William Mountain Festival: Best Adventure Festivals
- Chemin de Fer, Dumbarton Rock: Best Urban Climbing Adventures
- Wreck Diving, Orkney Islands: Intrepid Treasure – Hunting Trips
- The Borders: Mountain Biking’s Meccas
- Barra and Orkney Islands: Wildest Flights
London experiences featured in the book:
- Walking the Thames Path: Best City Hikes
- The Planet’s Freakiest Foot Races: The Underround
- Best Tower Running Races: Tower 42
NOTE TO EDITORS
- Review copies and extracts from the book are available.
- The book is available in stores from mid September, priced £15.99.
- The book is the third title in the 1000 Ultimate series, following on from the success of 1000 Ultimate Experiences and 1000 Ultimate Sights.
ABOUT LONELY PLANET
Lonely Planet is the world’s leading travel content provider, supplying inspiring and trustworthy information for those planning a trip, on the road or browsing as an armchair traveller. This year marks the company’s 40th anniversary and, to-date Lonely Planet has printed over 120 million books in nine languages to almost every destination on the planet. It also boasts mobile apps, a complete ebook portfolio, an award-winning website, and a dedicated traveller community. Visit us at lonelyplanet.com, join us on Facebook (facebook.com/lonelyplanet) and Twitter (@lonelyplanet and #lp).
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.