This Labor Day Will Be Hot For Car Thieves Too
Unsuspecting victims could face $8,000 in auto theft costs
PHOENIX, Aug. 30, 2013 - Inilex®, a leading provider of aftermarket telemetry solutions for vehicles, warns car owners that Labor Day is among the top five holidays of the year for stolen vehicles, according to data from the National Insurance Crime Bureau. In 2011, the last year for which data is available, 1,977 cars were reported stolen in the United States on Labor Day, approximately one every 43 seconds.
Victims of car theft, even those with quality insurance, can expect to pay more then $8,000 in out-of-pocket costs associated with their deductibles, lost personal items, loaner vehicles and other fees, as depicted in this infographic, “The Real Cost of Car Theft.”
Inilex offers these five tips to help protect consumers from Labor Day car, motorcycle and boat thievery:
- Take a cab both to and from your Labor Day BBQ, rather than leaving your car at your destination and cabbing it home.
- Many Labor Day activities include boating, hiking or picnicking, often miles away from your car. If you’re headed to a secluded destination, consider parking your car in a nearby secure lot and getting dropped off, walking or busing to your trailhead or other destination.
- Double check that your doors are locked, windows are rolled up and do not leave an extra key in or around your car. If you plan to leave your car for a while, consider removing the car’s battery cables.
- Do not store anything of value in your car. Not only is it an open invitation for crooks, but car insurance won’t cover these items if they’re stolen.
- Consider a GPS-enabled device that can instantly track your car, if you’re one of the unlucky ones and your car is stolen. Not only can this reduce your insurance premium, but modern devices allow you to find your car in the process of being stolen so the thief can be caught, rather than after it’s been stripped for parts.
Inilex manufactures and sells SkyLINK – an intelligent vehicle recovery device that uses GPS and cellular technologies to locate stolen vehicles in real time. Unlike other car theft-recovery devices, SkyLINK provides broad, nationwide coverage and it works with all law enforcement agencies.
Headquartered in Phoenix, Inilex® is an Inc. 500|5000 company and the industry-leading provider of intelligent telemetry solutions. It combines the power of the Global Positioning System (GPS) with the flexibility of a best-in-class wireless messaging system to develop telemetry solutions for businesses and consumers alike. Inilex is online at www.inilex.com. The company was named one of America’s Most Promising Companies by Forbes, and its technology has won numerous awards including the Connected World 100.
- Contact Information
- Claire Mylott
- Media Relations Contact
- for Inilex
- Contact via E-mail
This news content may be integrated into any legitimate news gathering and publishing effort. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.