Paradigm Announces Scientific Advisory Board
Leading physicians to guide Paradigm’s molecular diagnostic testing to ensure quality and the best-in-class patient care.
Paradigm, a non-profit joint venture between the University of Michigan Health System and the International Genomics Consortium (IGC), has announced its Scientific Advisory Board. Five internationally-recognized physicians bring expertise in key areas to ensure that Paradigm’s next generation sequencing and molecular diagnostics continue to be supported by the latest medical evidence and technology to improve cancer patient care.
The members of the Paradigm Scientific Advisory Board are:
- Arul Chinnaiyan, MD, PhD, S.P. Hicks Endowed Professor of Pathology at the University of Michigan Center for Computational Medicine and Bioinformatics. He is also the Director of the Michigan Center for Translational Pathology. Dr. Chinnaiyan’s research focuses on functional genomics, proteomic, and bioinformatic approaches to study cancer and was selected to be the Co-Leader of Stand Up To Cancer’s (SU2C) Prostate Cancer Dream Team. He is the key innovator behind the discovery of PCA3 and TEMPRESS to improve prostate cancer diagnosis and leads the research efforts of MI-ONCOSEQ.
- Jay L. Hess, MD, PhD, MHSA, is the Carl Weller Professor and Chair of the Department of Pathology at the University of Michigan and the founding Chair of Paradigm. He has served as Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine as well as Director of Hematopathology for the Penn Health System. He was the Co-Director of the hematologic malignancies program at Philadelphia’s Abramson Cancer Center. Dr. Hess is a board-certified hematopathologist and a specialist in the genetic and molecular changes that lead to cancer.
- Maha Hussain, MD, Professor of Medicine and Urology at the University of Michigan. She is also the Associate Director for Clinical Research at the University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center, the Co-Leader of its Prostate Cancer/GU Oncology Program and the Associate Chief for Clinical Research at the Division of Hematology/ Oncology. Dr. Hussain is an expert in genitourinary malignancies with a focus on prostate and bladder cancers.
- John Niederhuber, MD, is the Chief Executive Officer at Inova Translational Medicine Institute. He also serves as Co-Director of the Johns Hopkins Clinical Research Network. Dr. Niederhuber is the former Director of the National Cancer Institute and has dedicated his four-decade career to the treatment and study of cancer. As a surgeon, Dr. Niederhuber’s clinical emphasis is on gastrointestinal cancer, hepatobiliary (liver, bile duct, and gallbladder) and breast cancers. Dr. Niederhuber was elected to the Institute of Medicine in recognition of his outstanding scientific accomplishments and commitment to service in health science.
- Robert Penny, MD, PhD, is the Founder and Chief Executive Officer of Paradigm. He is also the Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer of IGC. He introduced the first commercial gene expression tests in oncology in the United States and has been a leader in The Cancer Genome Atlas (TCGA) project. He has been instrumental in bringing molecular pathways into the practice of oncology through the Molecular Profiling Institute and AmeriPath and was recently awarded the 2012 Distinguished Patient Care Award from the College of American Pathologists.
“We are incredibly pleased to bring together these leading experts in cancer research, informatics, and diagnostic testing that are dedicated to improving patient care through molecular pathways to launch the Paradigm Scientific Advisory Board" said Dr. Penny.
# # #
Paradigm is a non-profit corporation established to bring cutting-edge diagnostics to cancer patients and clinical trials by providing additional information about the genomic makeup of the patient’s cancer and potential therapies based on the specific characterization of the patient’s tumor that can impact the patient’s course of treatment. Paradigm’s diagnostic test provides oncologists and patients with more precise information about the specific cancer pathways in the patient and associations between the pathways and the specific drugs available that can affect the cancer to allow for more effective decision-making. The test is driven by supporting data and literature and provides more choices for patient care than currently available on the market.
For more information, please visit www.paradigmdx.org
- Contact Information
- Jennifer Stovall
- Media Contact
- Contact via E-mail
This news content may be integrated into any legitimate news gathering and publishing effort. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.