Sprint Nextel and Motorola Break New Ground in Rugged Phone Market with the i580 by Motorola
New Motorola ruggedized walkie-talkie phone for the Nextel National Network meets military specifications for blowing rain and features an embedded camera and Bluetooth® wireless technology.
RESTON, Va. and PLANTATION, Fla. — 07/06/2006
Continuing to lead the industry in the area of rugged phones, Sprint Nextel (NYSE: S) and Motorola (NYSE:MOT) today announced availability of the Motorola i580. Answering the call for a ruggedized, stylish and fully equipped handset, the i580 is the only iDEN rugged phone in the industry to feature an embedded camera and the first with a clam form factor to include Bluetooth wireless technology*. The i580 is also the first rugged iDEN clam phone designed to meet military specification 810 F for rain resistance, as well as for dust, shock and vibration. The phone’s durable design and easy-grip rubber exterior can withstand even the toughest day on the job or the most demanding outdoor activities for those who enjoy an active lifestyle.
“Sprint Nextel recognizes that business customers in industries like construction, transportation and field services often experience harsh weather conditions or the need for documenting proof of work,” said Danny Bowman, vice president of product marketing for Sprint. “With first-in-its-class features like an embedded camera, Bluetooth wireless technology and military-level rain resistance, the i580 is the total package for extending the workplace.”
“At Motorola, we constantly strive to deliver products that are as remarkable as their users -- whose lives are fast paced and demanding -- and the Motorola i580 is designed to live with them, through tough weather conditions or less than optimal treatment,” said Peter Aloumanis, general manager, U.S. Markets Division, Motorola’s iDEN® Mobile Devices.
The Motorola i580 provides Sprint’s unmatched Nextel Walkie-Talkie capabilities, allowing for instant one-on-one, group and off-network communication with the touch of a button. The most complete ruggedized phone yet, the i580 contains notable features such as:
* 1.3 megapixel digital camera with video record functionality - the i580 is the first ruggedized iDEN clam style handset to offer an integrated 1.3 megapixel digital camera, producing high-quality images, a self-timer, up to 4X digital zoom and an LED light that can light up an image in a range up to 2 feet in low light conditions.
* Removable micro SD card slot - Store images, MP3 files, and video to removable micro SD memory cards. 64MB card included.
* Bluetooth® wireless technology*
* GPS support - Get step-by-step driving directions, trip planning and more when you add GPS-based applications like TeleNav, MapQuest FindMe and Trimble Outdoors.**
* Large, internal color display
* Support for advanced walkie-talkie capabilities including Direct Send™ contacts and pictures.
* Messaging services - send or receive multimedia and/or text and voice messages.**
* Front ported audio support - equipped with dual, frontal speakers
The i580 is available nationwide at Sprint and Nextel Stores, Sprint business sales channels and online at www.sprint.com $279.99, after all available discounts and promotions. To view or download an image of the Motorola i580, please visit http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/graphics/list/0,,4287,00.html.
About Sprint Nextel
Sprint Nextel offers a comprehensive range of communications services bringing mobility to consumer, business and government customers. Sprint Nextel is widely recognized for developing, engineering and deploying innovative technologies, including two robust wireless networks offering industry leading mobile data services; instant national and international walkie-talkie capabilities; and an award-winning and global Tier 1 Internet backbone. For more information, visit www.sprint.com.
Motorola is known around the world for innovation and leadership in wireless and broadband communications. Inspired by our vision of Seamless Mobility, the people of Motorola are committed to helping you get and stay connected simply and seamlessly to the people, information, and entertainment that you want and need. We do this by designing and delivering “must have” products, “must do” experiences and powerful networks -- along with a full complement of support services. A Fortune 100 company with global presence and impact, Motorola had sales of US $36.8 billion in 2005. For more information about our company, our people and our innovations, please visit www.motorola.com.
All features, functionality and other product specifications are subject to change without notice or obligation
* This i580 device supports Bluetooth Generic Access, Serial Port, Service Discovery Application, Hands-free, Headset, Dial-up Networking, and Generic Object Exchange profiles. In order for Bluetooth devices to communicate with one another, they must utilize the same Bluetooth profile. To determine the profiles supported by other Motorola devices, visit www.hellomoto.com/bluetooth. For other devices, contact their respective manufacturer.
Certain Bluetooth features including those listed may not be supported by all compatible Bluetooth-enabled devices, and/or the functionality of such features may be limited in certain devices, or by certain wireless carriers. Contact your wireless carrier about feature availability and functionality.
** Airtime, data charges, and/or additional charges may apply.
MOTOROLA and the Stylized M Logo are registered in the US Patent & Trademark Office. The Bluetooth trademarks are owned by their proprietor and used by Motorola, Inc. under license. All other product or service names are the property of their respective owners. © Motorola, Inc. 2006. All rights reserved.
- Contact Information
- Amy Schiska-Lombard
- Media Contact
- Sprint Nextel
- Contact via E-mail
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.