Aviva appoints Glyn Barker as non-executive director
Aviva plc (“Aviva”) has appointed Glyn Barker as an independent non-executive director with effect from 27 February 2012.
Mr Barker was most recently vice chairman, UK of PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP (PwC) and was responsible for leading the PwC executive team for the Europe, Middle East, Africa and India (EMEAI) region, following a long and successful career with the firm. He is currently a non-executive director of The Berkeley Group Holdings plc and a trustee of English National Opera.
During his career as a partner at PwC, Mr Barker advised the boards of several FTSE100 companies on a wide variety of corporate and financial issues. As well as serving as PwC’s UK vice chairman, he was formerly PwC’s UK managing partner, UK head of assurance and a member of its UK management board. He also built PwC’s private equity focused transactions business.
Lord Sharman of Redlynch, chairman of Aviva, said: “Glyn Barker is a very welcome addition to the Aviva board. His experience, both as a professional advisor to major companies and a senior member of PwC’s management team, will stand him in great stead for his non-executive role at Aviva. This, combined with his wealth of audit and regulatory knowledge, will further strengthen the Aviva board.”
John McFarlane, chairman designate of Aviva, said: “I am glad that Glyn, as a senior finance and audit professional, is joining our board. I have already been impressed by his diligence and preparation prior to joining, and this augurs well for his future contribution to the board and ultimately to the success of Aviva.”
Notes to editors:
* In accordance with paragraph LR 9.6.13R of the listing rules, Aviva confirms there is no information to be disclosed in terms of LR 9.6.13R (2) to LR 9.6.13R (6) inclusive in respect of Glyn Barker.
* At the date of this announcement, Glyn Barker has no beneficial interests in ordinary shares of Aviva.
* Glyn Barker is currently a non-executive director of The Berkeley Group Holdings plc.
* Glyn Barker’s appointment has been approved by the Financial Services Authority.
* Aviva is the world’s sixth largest* insurance group, serving 44.5 million customers across Europe, North America and Asia Pacific.
* Aviva’s main business activities are long-term savings, fund management and general insurance, with worldwide total sales of £47.1 billion and funds under management of £402 billion at 31 December 2010.
* We are the largest insurance services provider in the UK and one of the leading providers of life and pensions products in Europe.
* The Aviva media centre at www.aviva.com/media includes images, company and product information and a news release archive.
* For broadcast-standard video, please visit www.aviva.com/media/video.
* Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc
*based on gross worldwide premiums at 31 December 2010
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.