HP Unveils Mobile Workstation Portfolio for Ultimate Performance, Design and Durability
HP today announced a new lineup of powerful mobile workstations, ideal for engineering, power-computing and content-creation customers who need the performance of a workstation with the portability and convenience of a notebook.
HP also unveiled the HP Z210 Workstation, demonstrating its continued investment in the desktop and mobile workstations market, where it holds leading market share.(1)
Building on HP’s “FORGE”#8221; design framework, the HP EliteBook w-series embodies a timeless construction, with precision-engineered durability features that are designed for maximum reliability and with the environment in mind. The new products showcase HP’s first-ever industrial design specific to mobile workstations, with distinctive features including a radial-brushed gunmetal finish, backlit jewel logo and orange-colored accents.
The mobile workstations also are certified by independent software vendors to run the most demanding professional applications, helping ensure reliable performance for mobile power users.
HP’s most powerful mobile workstation, the HP EliteBook 8760w offers a 17.3-inch diagonal, high-definition (HD) screen,(2) a choice of high-performing AMD FirePro(3) or NVIDIA Quadro professional graphics and up to 4 gigabytes (GB) of video memory.(4) The EliteBook 8760w also can be configured with three hard drives and RAID 5 support – a first for HP mobile workstations.
The HP EliteBook 8560w features a15.6-inch diagonal HD display and supports AMD FirePro graphics for 1 GB of video memory or NVIDIA Quadro graphics for 2 GB of video memory. The optional HP DreamColor display on the EliteBook 8560w and 8760w(5) also allows for more than 1 billion active color possibilities.
HP’s smallest and lightest mobile workstation, the HP EliteBook 8460w, starts at only 4.9 pounds and includes a 14.0-inch diagonal HD panel, in addition to an AMD FirePro 1 GB video memory professional graphics card for true on-the-road video performance.
“As the fastest growing segment of the workstation market, mobile workstations continue to provide value to our most demanding design, animation and engineering customers,” said Efrain Rovira, director, Mobile Workstations, Notebook Business Unit, HP. “The new EliteBook mobile workstations announced today combine innovative design with trusted, workstation-class technology to fuel creativity.”
Durable design and color-critical display
The HP EliteBook 8760w, 8560w and 8460w include precision aluminum-alloy hinges and cast titanium-alloy display latches for enhanced durability. Sporting a radial-brushed display cover in a new gunmetal color, the portfolio boasts an aerospace design inspired HP DuraCase and is MIL STD 810G tested for drop, vibration, dust and altitude that might arise during on-the-go computing.(6) The HP EliteBook 8760w and 8560w also feature a backlit keyboard for workstation-caliber productivity, day or night.
Additionally, the HP DreamColor display option on the HP EliteBook 8760w and 8560w(5) allows for more than 1 billion active color combinations – 64 times the capabilities of a traditional display – and uses a 30-bit notebook LCD panel to provide a level of color control exclusive to the EliteBook w-series for consistent color appearance from concept, to design, to production. The HP Mobile Display Assistant and optional HP Advanced Profiling Solution enable more precise control, adjustment and alignment of the DreamColor notebook display to ensure predictable color.
On-the-go workstation-caliber computing
Built to deliver optimized workstation-class processing and support migration to 3-D professional applications, the HP EliteBook 8760w, 8560w and 8460w feature second-generation Intel® Core™ i7 and i5 dual- and quad-core processors,(7) offer premium performance and responsiveness with vPro compatibility,(8) and support up to 32 GB of RAM.
With video memory options from 1 GB to 4 GB, the new w-series delivers superior, ISV-certified professional graphics solutions from NVIDIA and AMD for the 8760w and 8560w and from AMD for the 8460w. When equipped with an AMD discrete graphics solution and an optional HP Advanced Docking Station, the HP mobile workstations support AMD Eyefinity Technology for simultaneous support for up to five independent displays.(9)
HP EliteBook mobile workstations also offer a variety of storage capacity options, including SMART SATA, Self Encrypting or Solid State Drives, with up to RAID 5 capability. The mobile workstations are also equipped with a variety of ports, including USB 3.0, eSATA and USB 2.0 charging ports.
Now available on HP mobile workstations, HP Performance Advisor, an intuitive user interface, helps keep applications running smoothly, while optimizing configuration and graphics performance.
The HP EliteBook 8760w and 8560w offer an 8-cell primary battery, while the HP EliteBook 8460w offers 6- and 9-cell options for extended battery run time. All models include an HP Long Life Battery option. The mobile workstations also are compatible with the new HP Extended Life Notebook Battery and HP Ultra-Capacity Notebook Battery, which offer external battery supplies for additional run time.
Productivity tools and components
The new mobile workstations offer HP Professional Innovations, including HP QuickWeb 3,(10) HP Power Assistant,(11) HP Connection Manager and HP ProtectTools,(12) which includes standard drive encryption for data protection. SRS Premium Sound also provides optimized audio settings for voice and multimedia applications and delivers an audio experience for digital content creators or users listening to media-rich content and presenting multimedia-heavy presentations.
Pricing and availability(13)
The HP EliteBook 8760w, 8560w and 8460w start at $1,899, $1,349 and $1,299 respectively, and are expected to be available in the United States in May.
More information about the products, including product specifications and images, is available at www.hp.com/personal.
HP creates new possibilities for technology to have a meaningful impact on people, businesses, governments and society. The world’s largest technology company, HP brings together a portfolio that spans printing, personal computing, software, services and IT infrastructure at the convergence of the cloud and connectivity, creating seamless, secure, context-aware experiences for a connected world. More information about HP (NYSE: HPQ) is available at http://www.hp.com.
(1) Source: IDC, Worldwide Workstation Tracker, Q4 2010
(2) HD content required to view HD images.
(3) HP Elitebook 8560w with AMD graphics card will not be ENERGY STAR® compliant.
(4) Up to 1 GB may not be available with 32-bit operating systems due to system resource requirements.
(5) HP Elitebook 8760w with DreamColor panel cannot be configured with WWAN.
(6) 64-bit computing on Intel architecture requires a computer system with a processor, chipset, BIOS, operating system, device drivers and applications enabled for Intel® 64 architecture. Processors will not operate (including 32-bit operation) without an Intel 64 architecture-enabled BIOS. Performance will vary depending on your hardware and software configurations. See www.intel.com/info/em64t for more information. Dual/Quad- Core is designed to improve performance of multithreaded software products and hardware-aware multitasking operating systems and may require appropriate operating system software for full benefit. Not all customers or software applications will necessarily benefit from use of this technology. Intel’s numbering is not a measurement of higher performance.
(7) Some functionality of Intel vPro, such as Intel Active management technology and Intel Virtualization technology, requires additional 3rd party software in order to run. Availability of future “virtual appliances” applications for vPro technologies is dependent on 3rd party software providers. Compatibility with future “virtual appliances”, Microsoft Windows Vista and Windows 7 operating systems is yet to be determined.
(8) Support for 5 monitors requires separately purchased HP Advanced Docking Station.
(9) Testing was not intended to demonstrate fitness for DOD contracts requirements or for military use. Test results are not a guarantee of future performance under these test conditions.
(10) HP QuickLook 3 is accessible when the notebook is off and requires Microsoft Windows based systems and Microsoft Outlook. Timing may vary depending on the system configuration. To enable the feature following the removal of the battery, reboot the notebook prior to subsequent use.
(11) Power calculations and cost calculations are estimates. Results will vary based on variables, which include information provided by the user, time PC is in different power states (on, standby, hibernate, off), time PC is on battery or AC, hardware configuration, variable electricity rates and utilities provider. HP advises customers to use information reported by HP Power Assistant for reference only and to validate impact in their environment. Environmental calculations were based on U.S. EPA eGrid 2007 data found at www.epa.gov/egrid/. Regional results will vary. Requires Microsoft Windows.
(12) HP ProtectTools requires Microsoft Windows.
(13) Estimated U.S. street prices. Actual prices may vary.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.