Atlanta Legal Nurse Consultant Attends "The People’s Law School"
Atlanta, Georgia – Liz Buddenhagen, registered nurse and Atlanta legal nurse consultant, attended “The People’s Law School,” presented in Athens, Georgia and sponsored by the Georgia Civil Justice Foundation, a non-profit organization.
The program was presented to assist the public to acquire a better understanding of our laws and legal system. It was given over a four week period and divided into four sections. The first section covered common criminal law issues and the other three covered civil matters.
Criminal cases involve crimes against society and the government seeks to punish an individual. The defendant is assumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Civil cases involve reimbursement for the plaintiff for losses caused by the defendant’s behavior. Punitive damages, like jail, are not awarded in civil cases. The plaintiff wins if the preponderance of evidence [more than 50% probability that the defendant was negligent in causing the plaintiff’s injury] favors the plaintiff.
The attorneys explained the difference between a misdemeanor and felony. A misdemeanor crime in Georgia carries up to twelve months in jail and up to $1000 and a felony carries one to five years in jail.
About the courts:
The Georgia court system has five classes of trial-level courts: the magistrate, probate, juvenile, state and superior courts. In addition, there are approximately 400 municipal courts operating locally. There are two appellate-level courts: the Supreme Court and the Court of Appeals.
More information about the Georgia Civil Justice Foundation and the legal system can be viewed at www.fairplay.org.
About the presenting attorneys:
Local Athens organizers included:
• Joshua W. Branch, attorney with Silver and Archibald, LLP, who focuses on personal injury, social security disability, workers’ compensation and long term disability
• Spence Johnson, attorney with Orr, Brown, Johnson, LLP, specializing in catastrophic injury and wrongful death
• Dustin Marlowe, attorney also of Orr, Brown, Johnson and handles catastrophic personal injury, commercial and business disputes and workplace law.
• James W. Hurt, Jr., attorney with Lewis, Stolz, Hurt, Frierson & Grayson, LLP, focusing on consumer protection, ERISA/long term disability, products liability and personal injury
• R. Christopher Irwin, III attorney with Cook, Noell, Tolley and Bates, LLP. He advocates for clients involved with medical malpractice, personal injury, civil rights and government liability
• Josh B. Wages, attorney with Blasingame, Burch, Garrard & Ashley, PC, specializes in construction law, personal injury, products liability and class action lawsuits.
About Liz Buddenhagen:
The Atlanta legal nurse consultant Liz Buddenhagen is a registered nurse and certified legal nurse consultant assisting attorneys with the medical issues of their legal cases. To contact the Atlanta legal nurse view website www.Legal-Nurse-Consultant-LNC.com, email Liz@BuddenhagenLNC.com or call 770-725-2997.
- Contact Information
- Liz Buddenhagen, RN, CLNC
- Buddenhagen & Associates
- Contact via E-mail
This news content may be integrated into any legitimate news gathering and publishing effort. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.