Alcatel-Lucent introduces Ultimate Wireless Packet Core to help service providers address the explosion of mobile data services on 3G and emerging LTE networks
Company delivers a variety of major innovations to drive the transformation to all-IP
Paris — Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) today unveiled an unmatched set of capabilities designed to help mobile service providers address the explosion in mobile data services on today’s 3G networks, and the anticipated increase in data requirements with the emergence of Long Term Evolution (LTE) mobile broadband. The company announced significant upgrades to its mobile packet core solution along with a comprehensive and unique approach to IP network and policy management that will bring the IP capabilities of 4G networks to today’s 3G subscribers.
With the advent of smart phones and bandwidth hungry applications such as real-time video – which together are generating unprecedented growth in mobile data traffic -- service providers are faced with a variety of simultaneous, and often conflicting challenges including: increasing network capacity while reducing the cost per bit of supporting data services; enabling new business models beyond today’s ‘all you can eat’ offerings; and transforming their networks to take advantage of the benefits of the shift to all-IP networks, which offer simplified operational models and reduced complexity.
“As mobile data traffic continues to grow, every part of the network is being strained,” said Peter Jarich, Service Director with Current Analysis and author of the company’s most recent mobile packet core analysis: “Mobile Packet Core: Engine of Mobile Broadband Success.” “While we applauded Alcatel-Lucent’s entry into the EPC space last year, we encouraged the company to expand its solution into 2G/3G operations to better serve their mobile broadband customers and best leverage their expertise in the RAN, IP core and vendor services spaces. The new solution expansion does just that. More importantly, positioning its gateways alongside policy and analytics tools helps to deliver a fuller mobile packet core solution – and helps operators with the service differentiation they’re all chasing.”
The new products and enhancements announced today deliver best-in-class capabilities at every point in the network, including the 3G and LTE mobile packet core. Service providers will now be able to deliver bandwidth-hungry, enriched and personalized services with enhanced subscriber quality of experience - all with reduced provisioning, operating and maintenance costs across all parts of the network, from the radio access network (RAN) to the backhaul elements and into the packet core.
These developments are an important contributor to the realization of Alcatel-Lucent’s High Leverage NetworkTM strategy - a fully converged, scalable, next generation, all-IP multiservice infrastructure that enables operators to deliver traffic more reliably, efficiently and at the lowest cost, while also leveraging the network to generate revenue from sophisticated managed services and applications.
“Our High Leverage NetworkTM strategy has enabled service providers to deliver large-scale, real-time, residential triple play services (Internet, Voice and IPTV) over the past five years and now we’re bringing that strategy to mobile operators as they deal with tremendous growth in data and video applications. Our packet core platforms deliver unmatched scale and performance to address the capacity crunch, our network intelligence and policy management solution enables operators to deliver personalized services with the appropriate subscriber quality of experience and we provide end-to-end management across the ‘all IP’ wireless network to reduce time to market and operational costs,” said Basil Alwan, president of Alcatel-Lucent’s IP activities and head of carrier strategy. “We have best of breed products across our wireless portfolio, but have also invested significantly in integrating it all together in an end-to-end solution to enable wireless operators to deliver innovative 3G and LTE services and create competitive differentiation in the market.”
To address the data capacity issues in wireless networks today and tomorrow, Alcatel-Lucent’s Ultimate Wireless Packet Coreoffering includes the following new capabilities:
* 2G and 3G GGSN (Gateway GPRS Support Node) functionality on Alcatel-Lucent’s 7750 Service Router-based mobile packet core gateways. Alcatel-Lucent’s 4G mobile packet core gateway platform now supports GGSN for 2.5G and 3G as well as Serving Gateway and Packet Data Network Gateway for LTE, giving service providers a seamless and massively scalable solution for GPRS/EDGE, HSPA, HSPA+ and LTE. The 7750 SR delivers more than ten times the performance and scale of typical 3G packet core gateways and has been in global LTE trials since 2009 and will be available for commercial delivery of 2G, 3G and LTE services in the second half of 2010.
* The new Alcatel-Lucent Wireless Mobility Manager (WMM), a high-performance and scalable solution for 2.5G/3G SGSN (Serving GPRS Support Node) and LTE MME (Mobility Management Entity) on an in-house designed and optimized, common ATCAv2 platform. This combined functionality enables operators to expand or renovate their existing packet cores to support HSPA and HSPA+ today while having the signaling and control plane performance required of an MME when they migrate to LTE.
To address the need for smarter bandwidth, enabling mobile operators to improve network efficiency and monetization, Alcatel-Lucent’s end-to-end wireless network and policy management offering now includes:
* The new Alcatel-Lucent 5780 Dynamic Services Controller (DSC), which provides the 3G and LTE PCRF (Policy Charging and Rules Function), enabling mobile operators to optimize and monetize network resources, while offering personalized choice for the subscriber in both a 3G and LTE environment. The Alcatel-Lucent 5780 DSC also provides the foundation for converged wireline/wireless policy management to enable any application on any screen, anywhere. The 5780 DSC is currently in global trials and will be available for commercial 3G and LTE service delivery in the second half of 2010.
* Enhancements to the Alcatel-Lucent 5620 Service Aware Manager (SAM) to include support for the Ultimate Wireless Packet Core and 5780 DSC, including unified, end-to-end management of user (data) and control planes across mobile backhaul and packet core. The 5620 SAM, deployed by more than 270 service providers to date, provides automated configuration and fault/performance management tools that decrease time to market for new mobile services and minimize downtime when problems occur.
* The Alcatel-Lucent 9900 Wireless Network Guardian (WNG) provides mobile operators with unprecedented and real-time visibility into the relationship between network element performance and end-user quality of experience (QoE) across the entire wireless data network. Selected most recently by a large North American wireless operator, the 9900 WNG enables dynamic self-optimization and mobile customer care solutions for multi-technology/multi-vendor networks and is a critical element of Alcatel-Lucent’s wireless offering.
For more information on Alcatel-Lucent’s wireless IP solution and to read the Current Analysis white paper, visit: www.alcatel-lucent.com/uwpc
Press Conference Details
Basil Alwan, head of Alcatel-Lucent’s Carrier Group portfolio strategy, will announce this news during a web press conference taking place March 18 at 8AM PDT/ 11AM EDT / 4 PM CET
To access the audio and web session please use the following information:
Audio bridge dial- in numbers:
N. Americatoll free: 866.383.8009
International toll: 617.597.5342
Participant passcode: 27826387
Webcast link: external link http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?p=irol-eventDetails&c=94709&eventID=2790822
Participants will have the opportunity to ask questions at the end of the presentation over the audio bridge or via the webcast interface tool.
About Alcatel-Lucent and LTE
Having been selected to support 40+ LTE trials around the globe and securing commercial contracts with two of the largest operators in the world, Alcatel-Lucent is a recognized market leader in LTE. To help operators realize their potential, Alcatel-Lucent is offering a unique, pre-integrated, end-to-end LTE network solution and a full set of associated professional services. Alcatel-Lucent’s end-to-end network architecture is pre-integrating Alcatel-Lucent converged radio access network (2G/3G/4G RAN) and an industry-leading IP networking solution encompassing Alcatel-Lucent’s Ultimate Wireless Packet Core, IP/MPLS mobile transport, wireless network guardian, and a comprehensive IMS solution. This network solution allows scaling of GSM/W-CDMA networks and a smooth evolution to LTE. The company also founded external linkthe ng Connect Program, a global initiative to drive the development of an open and diverse ecosystem of LTE device manufacturers, content providers and application partners. Through the ng Connect program and with Alcatel-Lucent’s end-to-end LTE solution, wireless broadband operators benefit from open innovation, pre-integrated solutions, reduce time to market with LTE-enabled services, and the ability to drive new and non-traditional business models.
For more information about Alcatel-Lucent’s end-to-end LTE solution, please visit:http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/lte
About Alcatel-Lucent’s High Leverage Network
The Alcatel-Lucent high leverage network strategy allows network providers to continuously scale the bandwidth of their networks from the access layer to the transport layer at the lowest total cost of ownership to provide scalable, reliable, low-cost bit transport. A high leverage network also allows network providers to instrument or equip the network with built-in service and application awareness, QoS, and traffic optimization to provide the appropriate levels of intelligence within the network at the optimum cost to deliver value-added services.
Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) is the trusted transformation partner of service providers, enterprises, strategic industries such as defense, energy, healthcare, transportation, and governments worldwide, providing solutions to deliver voice, data and video communication services to end-users. A leader in fixed, mobile and converged broadband networking, IP technologies, applications and services, Alcatel-Lucent leverages the unrivalled technical and scientific expertise of Bell Labs, one of the largest innovation powerhouses in the communications industry. With operations in more than 130 countries and the most experienced global services organization in the industry, Alcatel-Lucent is a local partner with a global reach. Alcatel-Lucent achieved revenues of Euro 15.2 billion in 2009 and is incorporated in France, with executive offices located in Paris. For more information, visit Alcatel-Lucent on the Internet: http://www.alcatel-lucent.com
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.