Executive Search Consultant in NY Reveals Secrets To Avoid Age Discrimination
David Werner International, a NY Executive Search Consultant, specializing and assisting in marketing senior executives, answers the ‘age old’ question on the mind of many displaced senior executives, “Does age play a role in the initial selection process?”
David Werner’s answer is, “Yes! Age does play a role in the process.” According to Werner, unemployed executives need to understand the difference between initial perceptions and reality.
Executive search consultants who specialize in marketing senior executives, like David Werner, say age can mean a number of things in the work place including seniority, maturity, old fashioned, set in one’s way, too comfortable, and not hungry enough. The challenge for candidates who are 55+ is to refute these stereotypical perceptions with atypical realities.
One of the biggest challenges facing displaced senior executives is the perception that they are out-of-touch with modern technology. Werner insists it’s important to embrace the latest technology.
Werner suggests senior execs take the following steps to familiarize themselves with the latest technology and buzz words:
1. Join LinkedIn – Werner suggests including professional interests and credentials on a LinkedIn profile but avoid including personal information like birthdays, marital status, etc.
2. Consider Twitter – Even if executives don’t use it, it’s important that they understand the concept Twitter offers, how it works and who can benefit from this technology. Werner says executives can post updates and information on Twitter related to their industry as well as bookmark relevant industry related articles and events.
3. Prepare a resume accessible on the web (a non-searchable, on-line executive portfolio which is accessible only upon invitation); here is an example: www.webportfolios.net/rayshore. A new soon-to-be announced web-based version will allow users once they have directed a third party to their resume, to initiate a one-way video and two-way voice conversation. This can be a very powerful tool during a conversation when the interviewer is asked to access their resume on the Internet.
4. Avoid AOL –Werner says it’s ok for personal stuff, but for business, get an E-mail address with Google or Hotmail. Ideally candidates should buy their own dot.com (example: firstname.lastname@example.org)
5. Learn to discuss PC and Apple. Be familiar with Windows 7 or Snow Leopard and be able to discuss the difference.
6. Most importantly, recognize that ENERGY is the one ingredient that every successful executive has. Energy can be expressed in one’s body movements, thinking and expression, voice, eyes and facial expressions, Q&A and the ability to think smartly on one’s feet.
To read more of David Werner’s tips and blogs, visit http://www.davidwernerinternational.com
About David Werner International:
David Werner International is one of New York’s top executive career marketing companies with over 30 years experience in executive career marketing and outplacement services for Presidents and Vice Presidents. The company now harnesses the power of the internet where they have created personalized career portfolios for their candidates which act as a virtual showcase of a candidate’s history and proven success record.
In addition to helping top executives transition companies, DWIC is also sought out by leading executive corporations to provide specialized marketing services to senior executives. Throughout their 30 years of successful search and placement, DWIC has provided services to primary corporations such as Viacom, Shell, BFGoodrich, Mobay/Bayer, Pfizer, Time Warner, Alco-Standard, The Equitable, Contel/Executone, Booz-Allen, Tribune Broadcasting, Commercial Union, Revlon and more.
Executives or corporations can find more information on these and other services offered by David Werner International by visiting them online at http://www.davidwernerinternational.com
- Contact Information
- David Werner
- President & Co-Founder
- David Werner International
- Contact via E-mail
This news content may be integrated into any legitimate news gathering and publishing effort. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.