BlackBerry App World Launches in Indonesia and Singapore
The official app store for BlackBerry smartphones lets users easily discover and download a wide range of free applications directly from their handset including apps specifically built for the region
Jakarta, Indonesia; Singapore - Research In Motion (RIM) (Nasdaq: RIMM; TSX: RIM) today announced that BlackBerry App World™, the official app store for BlackBerry® smartphones, is now available for users in Indonesia and Singapore*.
The on-device application store brings together a wide range of free personal and business applications for users in Indonesia and Singapore to discover, including applications specifically built for the region.
Users can now download BlackBerry App World to their BlackBerry smartphone by visiting www.blackberry.com/appworld or mobile.blackberry.com from their handset. BlackBerry App World is designed to automatically present the relevant catalog of applications available for a user’s specific BlackBerry smartphone model. BlackBerry App World can be conveniently accessed over both Wi-Fi® and cellular networks.
BlackBerry App World features currently include:
* Front Page Carousel - BlackBerry App World showcases several applications on its front page carousel, making it easy for users to browse through a select number of featured applications. Featured applications will vary from time to time, helping users discover new applications for practically every aspect of life.
* Top Downloads – The “Top Downloads” area on BlackBerry App World lists applications that are the most downloaded.
* Categories – BlackBerry App World features a variety of application categories. Categories include games, entertainment, IM and social networking, news, weather, productivity and more.
* Search/Filter – BlackBerry App World includes a keyword search with filtering capabilities.
* Reviews – Applications on BlackBerry App World can be reviewed by users and those reviews are reflected in star ratings. Users can easily access and read reviews, see screenshots and read a description of each application before they download it.
* Recommend – BlackBerry App World users can recommend applications to other people through email, PIN, SMS message or BlackBerry® Messenger.
* Application Storage – BlackBerry App World includes a folder called My World, which keeps track of applications the user has downloaded. It is a personal storage space that allows users to uninstall and re-install applications.
* Application Archiving: users can archive applications to a microSD card or built-in storage memory on their BlackBerry smartphone.
* Update Notifications: Users are notified of updates to applications they’ve downloaded on BlackBerry App World.
“The BlackBerry platform provides a truly unparalleled mobile experience for millions of people and we are thrilled to enhance that experience with a new app store that helps connect consumers with developers and carriers,” said Mike Lazaridis, President and Co-CEO at Research In Motion. “BlackBerry App World aggregates a wide variety of apps in a way that makes it very easy for consumers to discover and download the apps that suit them while preserving the appropriate IT architecture and controls required by our enterprise customers.”
Indonesia specific applications at launch include Taxi Indonesia Dialer, Makan and Caripromo; and Singapore specific applications include iCab SG. Foyage, Spionard and Pintas are also available for users in both Indonesia and Singapore.
* BlackBerry App World is currently available in Indonesia and Singapore for BlackBerry smartphones operating on GSM/GPRS/EDGE/UMTS/HSDPA/HSPA that include a trackball, touch-sensitive trackpad or touch-screen running BlackBerry OS version 4.2 or higher. Users require an active BlackBerry data service plan with Internet access to access BlackBerry App World. Data charges may apply for customers that have a limited data plan.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.