Sun Adds New Virtualization and Software Technologies to Industry Leading Tape Archive Portfolio
Corner Banca SA and Accor North America Among Growing List of Enterprise Storage Customers that Look to Sun For High-Performance, Highly Efficient Tape Archive Solutions
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - Sun Microsystems Inc. (NASDAQ: JAVA) today demonstrated an unwavering commitment to enterprise storage customers through capacity and performance enhancements to its industry leading tape virtualization storage archive solution, the Sun StorageTek Virtual Systems Manager (VSM), which save costs and simplify management in the data center. Sun also announced that Fujifilm will be the tape media development partner for the next generation of the Sun StorageTek T10000 tape drive family, building upon the relationship that yielded the industry’s first one terabyte (TB) drive to bring more tape archive innovation to customers.
Sun has the most innovative enterprise storage portfolio in the industry, delivering better economics and value to the market. Despite the current economic landscape, Sun StorageTek VSM revenues have grown by double digits quarter-over-quarter versus last year to enterprise customers across a wide range of industries.
“As the amount of user-generated data continues to grow exponentially, there is a need for customers to implement storage solutions that can store more in a shrinking footprint,” said Jon Benson, senior vice-president of Storage, Sun Microsystems, Inc. “The use of Sun’s tape virtualization offers customers up to a ten times (10x) cost savings versus traditional storage products, reduced management time, less physical systems needed to store data, and risk mitigation through the industry’s best disaster recovery options.”
Sun tape archive innovation announced today include:
* Three times (3x) capacity increase for the Sun StorageTek VSM5 to 90 terabytes with new connectivity options, giving customers greater performance and functionality;
* New Sun StorageTek VSM5e, a low cost, entry-level version of the Sun StorageTek VSM 5, targeted at customer disaster recovery and test sites ;
* New Sun StorageTek SL3000 Access Expansion Module (AEM), which enables 24x7 availability with fully redundant and replaceable robotics. The SL3000 equipped with redundant robotics and the new AEM joins the Sun StorageTek SL8500 as the only libraries in the industry to allow replacement of a robot while the library continues to operate. The AEM also supports bulk loads and unloads and works with the Sun StorageTek SL3000 to make a customer’s operating environment highly available and efficient;
* Sun StorageTek Enterprise Library software (ELS) that combines Sun’s mainframe software products to deliver improved performance and functionality into one, easy-to-manage software package.
“Thanks to Sun’s Virtual Storage Manager (VSM) technology, our systems were not only released of important management and disaster recovery functions but we also witnessed a substantial optimization of our resources, resulting in fewer tape resources and drastically cutting down on our footprint. Now able to handle 30 percent year-over-year data growth without increasing the number of system engineers and storage administrators, Cornèr Banca is committed to virtualization and to Sun,” said Charles Inches, first vice president, Cornèr Banca.
Sun and Fujifilm Collaborate on Industry-Leading Tape Innovation
Sun and Fujifilm announce the expansion of their relationship on next generation tape drive and media development. Sun has selected Fujifilm as the media development partner on its next generation Sun StorageTekT10000 tape drive. The Sun StorageTek T10000B was the first tape drive to ship with one terabyte native capacity, and this partnership is designed to build upon this platform and deliver future generations of the Sun StorageTek T10000B family that offer far greater capacity and performance to customers.
“Sun’s decision to work with Fujifilm underscores the commitment both companies have to tape research and development,” said Norio Shibata, General Manager, Recording Media Products Division, FUJIFILM Corporation. “Sun and Fujifilm are committed to high-performance computing and archival storage and continue to invest in tape technology to deliver the best solutions for today’s data centers.” For more information please see http://www.fujifilmusa.com/tapestorage
“The Sun StorageTek T10000 tape drive enables us to utilize our library as an online storage resource, delivering thousands of very large files to our customers per month. It gives us the throughput and scalable capacity we need to support our expanding content archive and meet the growing demand for our services,” said Mark Lemmons, Chief Technology Officer, Thought Equity Motion, Inc.
Sun Eases Migration to Tape Virtualization Storage Archive Solutions
Sun Services include:
* Sun Storage Assessment: A deep analysis of the customer’s storage and archive capabilities, processes, and management of their storage infrastructure that pinpoints and quantifies the causes of the customer’s potential storage and archive challenges. It provides a list of actionable steps available to improve the reliability, utilization and performance of their storage subsystems with a focus on tiered storage and archive solution.
* Sun Encryption Services: Sun encryption experts can help you replace guesswork with solid facts to provide you the tools, road maps, and recommendations necessary to address security risk, establish management policy, and create an ongoing approach to securing one of your corporation’s most valuable assets - your data.
* Sun Data Readiness Services go beyond basic installation to configure and integrate Sun storage hardware and software into a customer’s multi-vendor, heterogeneous storage and IT environment. Sun Data Readiness Services offer added value by helping you achieve the full benefits of your new storage technology.
This news content was configured by WebWire editorial staff. Linking is permitted.
News Release Distribution and Press Release Distribution Services Provided by WebWire.